Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sunday June 24th

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 24, 2012 12:41PM
i have reservations for camping monday June 25th, but i was wondering what you thought the chances would be of me driving up there and finding two campsites the sunday evening before? (today!)

you're not allowed to reserve online today, so i'd be risking it going up there... there are lots of campgrounds not in the valley (Crane Flat, Diamond O etc)... do you think i'd be ok going up there tonight?? i would think a number of people would be going home on a sunday.
June 24, 2012 01:18PM
For up-to-date campsites availability inside Yosemite, phone Yosemite's Campground Status Line. It's a recording that's updated anytime a campground status [space available, full, etc.] changes.

The phone number is: (209) 372-0266.

(As of 1:00 PM today, plenty of Yosemite campgrounds still have space available including Tamarack Flat, White Wolf, Yosemite Creek, Porcupine Flat and even Tuolumne Meadows and Camp 4.)

June 24, 2012 01:18PM
thanks a ton !! :-)
June 24, 2012 01:22PM
I'm not sure about the other park entrances, but usually the Hwy 120 Big Oak Flat Road entrance has sign at the entrance booth showing the status of all the campgrounds too.

June 24, 2012 01:30PM
question... if i got up there at 6 pm, and there is no one at the gate to check me in, how do i know if there are any available sites? even if there is no on in the site, that doesn't mean they can't show up later and kick me out. lol
June 24, 2012 02:42PM
The vast majority of Yosemite first-come first-served campgrounds do not have anyone checking people in at anytime (only Camp 4 and Tuolumne Meadows do). They're on the honor system with self-registration and self-payment. There's less of a chance that at 6:00 PM in a first come and first served campground that a campsite would be "taken" for the night and there won't be any gear or tents set up, or the bear-lockers unused.

You simply find an empty campsite, set up camp and go register and pay the fee (by cash or check) at the usually somewhat centrally located dropbox.

If you any questions in regards to the procedure, just ask a ranger at an entrance station of the park.
June 24, 2012 02:44PM
thanks again... i'm on my way !! :-)))))
June 26, 2012 01:01PM
Man! i got up there and there were NO campsites at Hodgdon Meadows, Crane Flat or anywhere... i ended up at Diamond O (which is a nice place actually)... then the following night i had a reservation at Crane Flat... that was the first time i camped there... from now on, i think i'm going to go there instead of the Valley... The Valley is way too strict for my liking (campfires only from 5pm -10:30pm, and NONE in the mornings)..... Crane flat is almost 2,000 feet higher, so they allow fires all night and day if you want...

the waterfalls are still going pretty good.
June 26, 2012 01:30PM
forrestranger

Man! i got up there and there were NO campsites at Hodgdon Meadows, Crane Flat or anywhere...

As of 1:00 PM on Sunday, Hodgdon Meadows and Crane Flat were already being reported as full. Did you drive down to check Yosemite Creek, or did they already post a sign at the Tioga Road turnoff for Yosemite Creek Campground that the campground was full?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login