Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Park Hosts Interagency Commercial Bus Inspections

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Park Hosts Interagency Commercial Bus Inspections
July 03, 2012 09:26AM
Yosemite National Park (CA)
Park Hosts Interagency Commercial Bus Inspections

On June 14th and 15th, Yosemite held a surprise two-day joint agency bus inspection that focused on commercial tour buses operating within park boundaries. The bus inspections were completed jointly by rangers, inspectors from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, representatives from the California Public Utilities Commission Enforcement Division, and law enforcement officers from the California Highway Patrol, San Francisco Police Department and Modesto Police Department. A total of 65 buses were inspected. Thirty-two buses were found to have no violations; the remaining 33 were found to have a total of 73 violations, ranging from mechanical deficiencies to a variety of driver-related violations. Three drivers were placed out of service for driver's license and logbook violations and four buses were placed out of service for serious mechanical deficiencies, including three with defective brakes. Two buses were found to have cracked brake rotors on their drive wheels and one bus was discovered to have oil on its alternator, which could cause an engine fire. The park has been hosting these surprise bus inspections twice each year for over ten years. Yosemite’s program has gained national recognition and is emulated by other agencies and parks around the country. Through the efforts of dedicated NPS managers, staff, and partner agency team members, hundreds of buses have been thoroughly inspected and thousands of safety-related violations have been discovered and corrected, further enhancing the safety of the traveling public on federally managed lands.
Re: Park Hosts Interagency Commercial Bus Inspections
July 03, 2012 07:04PM
While I applaud the efforts to keep unsafe vehicles and drivers off the road, I'm unclear...are these inspections on buses that are in the act of giving "tours" (presumably so or why would they be in the Park)? If so, what happens to the people on the tours when their bus is taken out of service?
Re: Park Hosts Interagency Commercial Bus Inspections
July 03, 2012 08:31PM
DavidK42
While I applaud the efforts to keep unsafe vehicles and drivers off the road, I'm unclear...are these inspections on buses that are in the act of giving "tours" (presumably so or why would they be in the Park)? If so, what happens to the people on the tours when their bus is taken out of service?

I imagine the tour company has to send a backup bus up to Yosemite pronto..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login