Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite short notice stay and recommendations

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite short notice stay and recommendations
July 03, 2012 10:03AM
Hi,

I just recently moved to California and wanted to go visit Yosemite, I live in the South Bay. I wanted to go in the last weekend of July (27-29th) but it seems like everything is already sold out! I was interested in doing some mild hikes, I heard Yosemite Falls is really nice, but might not have a lot of water this time of year. There's a big group of us interested in going (around 7-10 people). I would be very grateful if someone could make a few suggestions as to where we may be able to stay on Fri and Sat nights for such a large group that wouldn't be sold out. I'm open to any suggestions. I really wanted to see Yosemite this summer.

Thanks a lot!
Anna
July 03, 2012 10:26AM
Did you want to camp or stay in lodging? One other thing to think about is are you locked into those days? California schools start in mid to late August and you might have a chance to get something once the kids are in school.

By the way the Yosemite Falls looked this morning, it might not be running by the end of July.
July 03, 2012 10:34AM
I can't do August, but might be able to do early September, I was just worried it might be a bit too cold at that time. I have no preference for lodging or camping, whatever's available will do. I'm also assuming the waterfall isn't going to be running in September either, correct?
avatar Re: Yosemite short notice stay and recommendations
July 03, 2012 12:00PM
September (even late September) won't probably be that cold at all. There are often heat waves in September in California. The days will be shorter though. But yes, many of the waterfalls (but not all) will be bone dry come September.

If you want to visit the area in July for one or two nights, a nice alternative if you're driving in from the Bay Area and you can't find loding inside Yosemite National Park is to stay overnight or two nights in Lee Vining on the eastern side of Yosemite near Mono Lake. Lodging is often easier to find in Lee Vining than Mariposa, Buck Meadows or Oakhurst.

If you stay over in Lee Vining what you can do is leave the Bay Area in the morning for Yosemite. Visit Yosemite Valley and Glacier Point in the afternoon and then drive over Tioga Road to Lee Vining at the end of the day. If you're staying two nights in Lee Vining you can spend the next day exploring the area around Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite. (Lee Vining is a lot closer to Tuolumne Meadows by car than any lodging in Yosemite Valley.)

If you're into camping, you ought to be able to find a campsite mid-week in one of the no reservations, first-come first-served campgrounds within Yosemite National Park if you can arrive at the campgrounds by 11:00 AM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 12:49PM by plawrence.
July 06, 2012 06:24AM
Waterfalls will be trickling, but there are lots of other reasons to visit Yosemite. You'll see when you get there.

This has been a pretty low key year - fewer visitors than usual. I drove by one of the campgrounds (Bridalveil) on Glacier Point Road last Friday and there was still sites available at 7 pm. Check the recreation.gov reservation site for open campsites in the park, and grab 2 (you have too many people for one site) if you find them. Check yosemitepark.com for open rooms at the lodge, and check out the cabins at redwoodsinyosemite.com.

If none of those pays out for you there are also campgrounds outside the park in national forest, hotels in El Portal, and Yosemite Bug - the Bug has good food and a variety of accommodations including the hostel.
July 05, 2012 07:19PM
If you want to camp in the valley, keep checking the website as many times a day as you can, over and over, you will find something usually.
July 06, 2012 08:47AM
I totally agree with the recommendation to keep checking as many times as possible every day. Over the years I have never failed to find what I want, where I want it, and when I want it. Many people have to cancel at the last minute, or tour companies book blocks of rooms that get turned back in if not needed.

Lodging Reservations

Good luck...its worth the effort smiling smiley

Steve
July 07, 2012 12:07PM
Provided you are talking week days I've had good luck with Miner's Inn in Mariposa and Murphy's Motel in Lee Vining but call them now for availability. Don't wait.
July 07, 2012 01:31PM
I like Murphey's Motel in Lee Vining. Nice, clean, affordable accommodations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login