Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: tuolumne meadows

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

tuolumne meadows
July 03, 2012 03:11PM
Has anyone done first come first serve at TM this summer? We are arriving on a Tuesday, mid august. How early should I line up at the campground office? Is Tuesday a bad day to arrive. What are my chances? How can I improve them?
July 03, 2012 03:42PM
Here is what has worked for us for the last 23 years. Get to the office at TM by 6:30am to 7am to get a site. Tour the sites before they open to see what is most likely available. They also post a list at the entry kiosk. You can always ask for a different site. Once you get a reservation at the office you may have to wait a bit, but at least you will get a site.

Tuesday is a good day to arrive. You should not have a problem.

August...bring a tarp or tarps. August weather changes a lot. Most of our Augest trips included thunderstorms or rain. But at least it drys out fast.Makes it bit more exciting.

Have a good time.

Ps My son got reservations this year. So we don't have to leave L.A. at 1am.
July 03, 2012 05:30PM
Thanks for your great response. I just have one more question about TM. We plan to camp for 4 nights. After I wait in line and secure a one night stay, must I wait in line again each morning to secure my stay?
July 03, 2012 06:00PM
No. For the first-come, first-served campsites at Tuolumne Meadows, just tell the person how long you're planning to camp there when you secure the campsite. No need to check-in every morning.
July 03, 2012 06:02PM
You should be able to get the entire length of your stay, 4 nights.
If you only book one night..then you have to go back the next day. But check with the rangers office that day.
July 06, 2012 09:26AM
What about if we can only get there around 1-2pm. Do you think we'd have a good chance of getting a spot on Saturday, Aug, 4 for one night ?
July 06, 2012 03:56PM
The Other Tom

What about if we can only get there around 1-2pm. Do you think we'd have a good chance of getting a spot on Saturday, Aug, 4 for one night ?

Good chance? Probably not at the Tuolumne Meadows Campground. But who knows, you might get lucky. Doesn't hurt to stop by and see.

But visitation appears to be down this year compared to years past, so between 1 - 2 pm you probably would have a decent to good chance of finding a first-come, first-served campsite at a less popular Yosemite campground like Yosemite Creek or Porcupine Flat, though there's no guarantee of course.

July 06, 2012 04:31PM
Thanks
July 03, 2012 06:31PM
On a related note, I've got Half Dome permits for Friday 8/31 (yeah, the Friday of the Labor Day weekend - didn't think when I put that date in my list of hopes back during the lottery). My group of 4 wants to backpack from Tuolumne Meadows starting Wednesday. Any tips on what we should do to have our best shot at first-come wilderness permits? Yeah, we blew it on not getting those permits 6 months plus ago so we've gotta try out best at first-come permits now.

Thanks for any tips!
July 03, 2012 06:45PM
Thanks for all the great advice. In March I was able to get one night in a tent cabin in TM so I won't have to leave LA at 1 am either, but will get up at dawn and get in line! HURRAY
July 06, 2012 08:56AM
This was 'implied' above, but once you have a site, whether by previous reservation or by snagging one in the 1st come 1st serve line (FCFS), you then have 2nd priority to stay longer if you wish (1st priority being those that have reservations for that date). I have been in the FCFS line after going around looking for sites where the people are to be leaving that day (so I would know which sites were best), only to have people in those sites walk up and extend another day...ugh angry smiley

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login