Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Question on how much food for a dayhike

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Question on how much food for a dayhike
July 05, 2012 03:00PM
I'm curious on what you folks eat when you are on a dayhike.
How much food do you bring per how long the hike is going to be?
Do you make a sandwich? Energy bars? Energy gel?

Example: Saturday I am going on maybe an 8-10 hour hike(round trip) to Mt Lukens in the LA area. Planning on bringing a sandwich, 3 'Clif' bars, some nuts, lots of water.
I am preparing for hiking Half Dome on July 26.

Just wanted to see what other folks do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 03:00PM by snorkus.
avatar Re: Question on how much food for a dayhike
July 05, 2012 04:02PM
snorkus
I'm curious on what you folks eat when you are on a dayhike.

Usually none.
July 05, 2012 04:15PM
I could not hike that long on what you are taking. I would add in some fruit like a orange and a apple and take along some cheese, crackers or a piece of pita bread, gorp and some chocolate. I usually put my cheese in the section of my Camelback that holds the water bladder to keep it cool. Some people might think this is overkill but I like to be prepared in case of emergency and I can't get back. Plus I get a headache if I get too hungry.

I have heard that there is a lot of brush and poisen oak along the trail to Mt.Luken and people are suggesting wearing long pants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 04:17PM by parklover.
July 05, 2012 04:38PM
I usually carry more water than anything else on a dayhike. A sandwich, clif bar and a small bag of peanuts or cashews would be the most I'd carry.

EDIT: As you can see, every answer you're getting is different, so you're going to have to figure out what works for you. Use your upcoming trip to be a gauge for what you're going to carry on half dome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 04:39PM by oakroscoe.
July 05, 2012 05:08PM
I always try to bring something salty anytime I hike, since I go through water fast and since it's dangerous to drink too much water without replenishing the body with some salt too. I agree with bringing an apple or some kind of other fruit when dayhiking. Chocolate is a must too.
July 05, 2012 05:38PM
Water is the most critical item. If you are fit enough to do a 8 hours hike, then you could feasibly do it without food. However, I typically take what I'd normally have for any other lunch. 1 sandwich, fruit, chocolate. I'd also pack 2 small snacks to enjoy when you rest; GORP is great, fruit is good. A nice sharp cheddar and apple make a terrific snack. Pack whatever would add to the enjoyment of your hike. A solid breakfast helps get you started out properly. Slow burn carbs work great as early morning fuel.

Randy
July 05, 2012 07:07PM
I usually bring two sandwiches, a couple pieces of fruit, some snack bars, and of course a lot of water. I don't always eat the second sandwich.
July 06, 2012 04:15AM
As oakroscoe pointed out, you're likely to get different answers from everybody and this one will certainly keep that trend going! smiling smiley I'm something of a "foodie" and my wife and I look forward to lunch breaks while hiking. We've both also been watching our weight so have been minimizing our bread intake (which means we rarely take sandwiches with us anymore). So we typically carry...

Camelbacks full of water (if we're going to be out more than 8 hours or so, I might carry a steripen as well for refreshing my supply but then, I drink quite a bit of water when doing long hikes).

For snacks, we'll each bring a piece of fruit or two (typically an apple and/or orange, sometimes bananas and/or seedless grapes).

A low-sugar trail mix or mixed nuts (salted for reasons others have mentioned).

Pretty much always bring a Clif bar or equivalent (again, go for the lower sugar ones to even out your energy intake). We each also carry (although rarely drink) one of those 5-hour (or 6 or 7, depending on the brand) energy shots...especially if we're going to have a lot of uphills on the way back.

Lunch itself, believe it or not, is typically a salad with lots of protein and light on the dressing. As a rule, I'll take the previous night's dinner leftovers, mix it up with lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, etc. and put it in a ziploc bag. We then carry forks and collapsible bowls and dump the salad in the bowls for eating. If we're putting dressing on the salad, we put that in a separate container and put it on when we're ready to eat (prevents things getting too soggy)). This might not be everybody's choice for lunch on the go but it works for us.

Like others, we may not eat all of that but we've both had the experience of just plain running out of steam before getting back from very long day-hikes so I like to be prepared for some extra energy. In general, you need to know your own preferences, comfort level, limits, etc. I'd say that the general things to remember are:

1. Stay hydrated (sugary and alcoholic drinks dehydrate you...they are not good choices for a day hike).
2. Avoid large amounts of simple-carbs (like sugar) in your food...these will tend to give you energy spikes followed by energy crashes.
3. That much said, a larger-than-usual load of carbs (especially more complex carbs) is probably a good choice...especially if your normal life-style does not involve hiking for 8-12 hours a day!
4. Don't skimp on the protein...good for muscle recovery.
5. Eat enough to keep your energy going but don't overdo it...hiking when you feel stuffed is not (at least for me) a particularly pleasant experience.

Hope this divergent hodge-podge of answers is helping you! Happy Hiking. Backpacker
July 06, 2012 06:14AM
snorkus

Example: Saturday I am going on maybe an 8-10 hour hike(round trip) to Mt Lukens in the LA area. Planning on bringing a sandwich, 3 'Clif' bars, some nuts, lots of water.
I am preparing for hiking Half Dome on July 26.

I don't buy Clif bars. They sit in my stomach like a rock. Can't eat them. Unless you are talking about the crunchy ones, I like those. I will get Lara bars, Luna bars, or the Nature Valley crunchy bars if I'm in the mood. Try bars at home, to see if they are right for you. I'm not the only one I've talked to who find Clif bars too dense or heavy.

I have taken crackers and cheese, hummus and flatbread, a fresh avocado, dried cranberries, a tub of cream cheese and some tortillas, fried chicken and salad... whatever I think I'll want for lunch. A sack of GORP or mixed nuts for snacking, some candy, maybe some tea or a smoothie. And lots of water. I'll take a few bars extra to have just in case.
July 07, 2012 03:06PM
It depends upon the length of the hike and the elevation gain. Last week I hiked:

1. Coldwater campground to Purple Lake (Mammoth Lakes). 16 miles, elevation gain of 3,000
2. Seven Lakes Basin loop (Big Pine): 15.9 miles, elevation gain of 3800
3. Rush Creek to Alger Lakes (June Lake) 20.9 miles, elevation gain of 4100

Water is most important to me, or Cytomax. I drink 33 ounces every 90 minutes.

Food? For all the above hikes:

2 pieces of pizza
1 Baby Ruth bar
Handfuls of GORP
4 Oatmeal cookies
2 packages Energy "Goo"

I rarely vary what I eat on day hikes, this has worked well for me for many years. The only time I eat protein on a hike is when I am hiking a rim to rim in the Grand Canyon, then sodium is also highly important. Carbs is what works for meon any day hike under 23 miles.

What shocks me is how little water many hikers drinks. It impedes performance. I never use trekking poles because I always want a water bottle in my hand. It's so important.
July 07, 2012 04:50PM
Ulysses61

Food? For all the above hikes:

2 pieces of pizza

Which pizza? Curry or Degnan's?

And what toppings (if any)?

July 07, 2012 04:59PM
Miles / 4 = # of Twinkies

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 07, 2012 07:26PM
chick-on
Miles / 4 = # of Twinkies

I don't know... I'm not really sure if I could climb El Capitan on 1/8th of a twinkie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login