Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Hetch Hetchy on the Nov. 2012 ballot in San Francisco

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Hetch Hetchy on the Nov. 2012 ballot in San Francisco
July 12, 2012 05:21PM
A San Francisco-based environmental group, Restore Hetch Hetchy, turned in enough signatures on Monday supporting an effort to place a measure on the city's November ballot that would radically reform the way much of the Bay Area gets its drinking water.

Hetch Hetchy on the San Francisco ballot this Nov.

Chief Tenaya was the founder of the Paiute colony of Ahwanhee - Dr. Lafayette H. Bunnell.
avatar Re: Hetch Hetchy on the Nov. 2012 ballot in San Francisco
July 12, 2012 07:10PM
Just a side note, an interesting point.... Do you know who is the largest land holder in Alameda County?

The San Francisco Water Department.
avatar Re: Hetch Hetchy on the Nov. 2012 ballot in San Francisco
July 12, 2012 07:42PM
The HuffPo article mentions that the measure actually requires a _plan_ rather than _action_:

HuffPo
The proposal, sponsored by Sierra Club spinoff Restore Hetch Hetchy, would require San Francisco to prepare a plan to transition away from one of its primary water sources, the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir in Yosemite National Park.

But doesn't point out what I had heard on a KCBS "in depth" on this issue (while driving towards Yosemite...) - the plan would then face a second public vote.

Which I think is fine, and in fact I think it exposes opponents of the measure. If I lived in SF I'd wonder why opponents don't even want the question investigated with no commitment for action, why do they fear simple investigation of alternatives unless they think some might exist? After all, opponents aren't arguing against planning with no expectation of action (a reasonable thing to argue against), they seem to be claiming that the mere act of planning is a threat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login