All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Day Hikes from Glen Aulin (Advice Requested)
July 15, 2012 08:11PM
Hello. I have two nights at Glen Aulin this weekend (plus a night at May Lake). Was originally planning to do a day hike down the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne during the stopover day, but given low water conditions, not sure that is the best option this year.

Do folks have suggestions on recommended day hikes around Glen Aulin?

We are hiking into Glen Aulin from Tuolumne Meadows, and then leaving via May Lake, so we will hit those trails no matter what. Also, I have previously done the HSC loop, but I am not familiar with the trails that are generally north of Glen Aulin. Maybe the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne still makes sense, but I see that there is PCT access there, Cold Mountain, Hooper Peak, something called Wildcat Pt., etc. Ideas? Suggestions/directions?

Thanks much!
avatar Re: Day Hikes from Glen Aulin (Advice Requested)
July 15, 2012 09:50PM
Akichow

Do folks have suggestions on recommended day hikes around Glen Aulin?
Thanks much!

Go down the GCT for a couple of miles just to get a view of it. The water will be low but there is still the size of it. Going north on the PCT is OK but I'd do the GCT

Old Dude
Re: Day Hikes from Glen Aulin (Advice Requested)
July 16, 2012 08:46PM
Sounds good, thanks. And I guess it'll be good reconnaissance for the next trip because, one of these days, I am finally going to time it right to see the show! (Two years in a row, 2010 and 2011, I won early Glen Aulin dates in the lottery, only to not have the HSCs open. So this time, I tried for, and got later dates, but we know how that is turning out. Still, a great hike, and I am going to cap it off with Mt. Hoffman. Next time, I'll plan for June, and just backpack it!)
July 17, 2012 11:34AM
I agree with Mike. If you have a choice beween going down the GCT or up Cold Canyon, take the GCT. Cold Canyon is mostly just trees and meadows.
July 17, 2012 01:27PM
Kinda off topic, but how do you pronounce Glen Aulin? I am assuming it is not pronounced Alan.
'
July 17, 2012 03:27PM
Hitech
Kinda off topic, but how do you pronounce Glen Aulin? I am assuming it is not pronounced Alan.
'

Like the doctor said: just say ah
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login