Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: GCT August 13 - 15

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

GCT August 13 - 15
July 17, 2012 05:14PM
My husband and I are hiking the GCT on August 13 - 15. With the drought, I'm worried about finding water sources. Has anyone been through that route recently? If so, what water sources are still available and where are they? How much water should I carry at any one time? What temperatures can we expect? I really appreciate your help.
July 17, 2012 06:30PM
It will be much drier than normal, but the river will be flowing, and you will never be very far from it for very long except for a few places: the Muir Gorge "bypass" and the long climb from Pate Valley to Harden Lake. According to Schaffer Morrison Creek can dry out, and it can be a hot climb out of Pate Valley--assuming you are doing the GCT downriver.

And to those who have asked on other threads: yes, the GCT is worth doing even in a dry year. The water will be low and the waterwheels will be absent, but you will have calm, clear pools for swimming or cooling off and the ability to explore and camp on the otherwise inaccessible "other" side of the river--there are limited campsites on the trail side between Pate Valley and Glen Aulin. Enjoy!
July 17, 2012 08:15PM
"Clear pools" is magic to my ears. Thanks. Heading thataways on Friday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login