All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Bear box size at TM campground
July 21, 2012 11:24AM
Can't recall. Are the bear boxes at the TM campground 17 or 18 inches tall. My son has a cooler with wheels and I don't think it will fit.

Thanks.
avatar Re: Bear box size at TM campground
July 21, 2012 01:07PM
Tuolumne Meadows Campground food locker size: 33"(D) x 45"(W) x 18"(H)
Re: Bear box size at TM campground
July 22, 2012 09:22PM
I think the lockers are less than 18" tall eventhough the stated size is 18". I have a cooler w/ wheels " brand Igloo" and it measures 18" or less and didn't fit inside the Parks locker.
July 23, 2012 11:25AM
There are some sites (~10) that have been upgraded and they have a taller bear box, about twice the regular height.

If you ask at check in, they might be able to get you one of those sites.
July 24, 2012 04:03PM
Does the entire cooler have to fit in the bear box, or can the food be unloaded and the cooler left in the car?
July 24, 2012 06:30PM
I wouldn't leave the cooler in your car even an empty one as just the sight of a cooler might temp a bear to break in. Rather leave the cooler opened with the top jarred open out in the open. Please note that if you arrive at your campsite and your cooler is too big you can always go to the ranger station and ask to borrow a cooler to use. This happened to me, cooler too big to fit in the box, and I was able to borrow, I think I could have keeped it, a cooler that was either consficated by the rangers or left behind from a visitor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login