Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Housekeeping Camp in Oct

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Housekeeping Camp in Oct
July 26, 2012 02:10PM
Thoughts? I visit most often in Oct so I know the nights can be chilly, but you can also expect rain. What are your thoughts on staying hear mid october?
avatar Re: Housekeeping Camp in Oct
July 26, 2012 05:58PM
I'll just say that I prefer staying at Housekeeping Camp better than staying in the Canvas Tent Cabins at Curry Village. At Housekeeping Camp you have your own fire pit. The bear-proof food locker is located next to your unit. You can park near your unit and it's in a better, prettier and warmer location, IMHO.

That said, a heated hard-sided cabin at Curry could be preferable. October weather is completely unpredictable. It could be warm and sunny, cold and sunny, or wet and cold, with even a possibility of an early snow storm. It's simply a crapshoot trying to predict what it will be.

avatar Re: Housekeeping Camp in Oct
July 27, 2012 09:25AM
plawrence
I'll just say that I prefer staying at Housekeeping Camp better than staying in the Canvas Tent Cabins at Curry Village. At Housekeeping Camp you have your own fire pit. The bear-proof food locker is located next to your unit. You can park near your unit and it's in a better, prettier and warmer location, IMHO..

I thought that they installed the bear boxes right at each tent cabin in Curry. However, I've heard some people hate it because now it means one has to haul out all that stuff instead of putting it right at the edge of the parking lot. It might be better since it's clear which bear box is assigned to which cabin.
Re: Housekeeping Camp in Oct
July 29, 2012 08:31PM
y_p_w
plawrence
I'll just say that I prefer staying at Housekeeping Camp better than staying in the Canvas Tent Cabins at Curry Village. At Housekeeping Camp you have your own fire pit. The bear-proof food locker is located next to your unit. You can park near your unit and it's in a better, prettier and warmer location, IMHO..

I thought that they installed the bear boxes right at each tent cabin in Curry. However, I've heard some people hate it because now it means one has to haul out all that stuff instead of putting it right at the edge of the parking lot. It might be better since it's clear which bear box is assigned to which cabin.
Each tent cabin does now have new boxes. The ones in the parking lot are still there also.
July 26, 2012 07:57PM
I stay in a tent at the campground every October, and think it's great. It gets dark early, and while days can be springlike, nights can be around freezing (or at least feel like it). Rain does happen, but I've never gotten rained on in October, though an early October rain can mean Yosemite Falls is up and running. There's usually quite a bit of fall color by mid-October, but the timing varies from year to year. If you like Housekeeping camp, by all means give it a try in October, just bring clothes for spring warmth and winter cold. And a bike, if you have one...beats waiting for the bus.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
July 26, 2012 08:50PM
Are the still open that time of year?
July 27, 2012 06:45AM
There was availability for the 18th to the 21st. I think that has to be close to the cut off for the season. I lik the idea of having everything right there and being able to cook etc as opposed to Curry. I myself have had variable weather in Oct. It seems to be the only time of year that I manage to get to the valley so I've had warm days cold nights, and rainy days and nights.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login