Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Interesting article on older yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Interesting article on older yosemite
August 03, 2012 12:44PM
August 03, 2012 01:46PM
I've said for a long time Yosemite is my favorite place in the world. And mostly what I meant by that is Yosemite Valley. But the Valley is necessarily the destination, it is the gateway to adventure. For years living in Chicago I had to plan expensive and complicated trips to get to that gateway. I now compare where I live now, Anchorage, to Yosemite Valley. I am surrounded by world class hikes that are 10-20 minutes away from my house. I gaze at the beauty from my workplace and daydream about summitting those peaks.

I wish people would not complain so much about the crowds and traffic and attempt to place more restrictions on use. I have always found it relatively easy to avoid the crowds if I want.

Folks in Alaska say Anchorage is great because it is only 20 minutes from Alaska. The same thing could be said about Yosemite Valley.
August 03, 2012 02:56PM
Great reference. Thanks. I agree, though, that it's not very hard to avoid the crowds. The last time I stayed in the Valley, my car didn't move for four days. I didn't need it. And you can lose the crowds in a few minutes by just heading up Indian Canyon or the abandoned Old Big Oak Flat Road. Even the Snow Creek Trail is relatively tourist-free....

When I am riding the shuttle in the valley, it's like being in a petting zoo. A close-up view of how the other 99.9% lives. Don't let it bother you. If there is a problem, it's inside your head.

Of course, I don't try to drive in or out of the valley during gridlock hours in the summer.
avatar Re: Interesting article on older yosemite
August 09, 2012 06:36AM
wherever

And you can lose the crowds in a few minutes by just heading up Indian Canyon or the abandoned Old Big Oak Flat Road. Even the Snow Creek Trail is relatively tourist-free...

One doesn't even need to do that. Just park in a pullout along Northside or Southside Drive west of the Yosemite Lodge/Swinging Bridge and walk just 50 feet away from the pullout. The crowds and cars vanishes!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login