All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Recent thunder storms
August 11, 2012 03:17PM
I see them in the forecast, was wondering if anyone knows how sever they may be. My only concern is water level in tenaya canyon
avatar Re: Recent thunder storms
August 11, 2012 05:11PM
There was a bit of lightening at Tioga today. I got rained on a bit. Mostly it was virga.
Re: Recent thunder storms
August 12, 2012 09:16PM
It's a pretty typical weather pattern this time of year. In some areas it will sprinkle lightly, in others it can be crack of thunder, pouring rain, then hail, then rain, then hail, then rain... lightning and more thunder.... We watched water streaming off granite through our campsite for an hour and a half a couple weeks back. Today it barely wet the hat I was wearing.

In Tenaya Canyon you'd best be more worried about the fact that you are going where pretty much everyone will tell you not to go, because it's some serious canyoneering - if you mean going down or up the canyon from/to Tenaya Lake to the valley floor.
August 14, 2012 09:33PM
Ryan is more than capable of doing Tenaya Canyon.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 15, 2012 08:35PM
Since I don't know him, I'll have to take your word for that.

I generally warn people where I think it is worth warning. I got back from a nine day backpack trip that pretty much proved to me that 80% of everyone you find out there is clueless about hypothermia or decent footwear.
August 17, 2012 09:55AM
AlmostThere
I got back from a nine day backpack trip that pretty much proved to me that 80% of everyone you find out there is clueless about hypothermia or decent footwear.

Only 80%?

(This coming from someone who got caught in a deluge Tuesday and discovered that the old raincoat brought along was no longer waterproof whatsoever! I couldn't have been more soaked if I jumped in a lake. I'm lucky that my cameras still work.)

Check your raingear everyone eye rolling smiley
August 17, 2012 10:28AM
hikerchick395
AlmostThere
I got back from a nine day backpack trip that pretty much proved to me that 80% of everyone you find out there is clueless about hypothermia or decent footwear.

Only 80%?

(This coming from someone who got caught in a deluge Tuesday and discovered that the old raincoat brought along was no longer waterproof whatsoever! I couldn't have been more soaked if I jumped in a lake. I'm lucky that my cameras still work.)

Check your raingear everyone eye rolling smiley

Hi hikerchick395,

I know you often travel rather light so here is a backup idea to complement rain clothes that will just weigh a few ounces and take up little space. I often stick one of these 55 gallon plastic trash bags in my backpacking gear for emergency use. I've been caught away from camp a few times in some really bad thunderstorm deluges and really do not like just depending on my Marmot Precip jacket and coated nylon rain pants because after a half hour or so water has a way of wicking in. The below are 55 gallon 2 mil thick drum trash bags. A standard drum is 24inches in diameter and about 35 inches tall with the these bags taller because they must fold back under the lid. Thus one of us small folks can easily get inside one even if caught out in some place like Humphreys Basin and endure the worst with less unpleasantness.

David

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100200334&R=100200334

http://www.davidsenesac.com
August 17, 2012 12:22PM
I always wondered if anyone has tried a stream crossing with a couple of trash bags. I have a feeling that the bottom would tear on rocks pretty quickly.
August 17, 2012 01:58PM
A bit more expensive than a trash bag, but it's pre-cut and comes with a hood. wink

Amazon.com: Emergency Rain Poncho

(Note: one can usually find this type of ponchos for less money at stores like Walmart or a dollar store.)

August 17, 2012 04:51PM
Always keep one of those in my pack.
August 17, 2012 09:10PM
yosemitejim
I always wondered if anyone has tried a stream crossing with a couple of trash bags. I have a feeling that the bottom would tear on rocks pretty quickly.

heh heh heh

https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/GCTuolumne#5483228065653744674

Uh... conclusion: just get ur flippas wet... cause unless you double bag... no workie...
I tried again crossing Twin Island Lake outlet on another trip... and after that
... said fo get it...

I got some Scuba Booties that I've taken with me... for FREEZING wawa...
Used them to cross The Tenaya Outlet earlier this year. Only problem with that one
was that my diggle balls got submerged...

August 20, 2012 04:55PM
yosemitejim

works if the bags are over your socks than shoes on
August 21, 2012 06:53AM
ryanmj
yosemitejim

smiling smiley

Truth be told... 2nd time I tried this trick... Z water um... a wee bit too deep...
and come over the bow...

August 25, 2012 06:42AM
Yup, I use 2 gallon ziplocks that way, but trash bags are a cheaper alternative. Shoes get wet, but feet stay dry.

ryanmj
yosemitejim

August 17, 2012 09:05PM
I'm still waiting for one single dingle trip report from you David.

August 21, 2012 08:50AM
chick-on
I'm still waiting for one single dingle trip report from you David.

Yeah I see you posted that Friday and then I finally loaded it Saturday. Took me 3 weeks on and off puter work to complete the single dingle report as I gave it a modest html treatment for my website. Just a lot of Photoshop stuff with over 100 image files edited and then crafted a marketable story behind it. So above is one at the peak of thunderstorms Sunday August 22 about 6pm. Read more in the feature on Day 2 page.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/MinnowCr/minnowcr_0.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 08:51AM by DavidSenesac.
August 22, 2012 07:44AM
Saw your trip here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,58600,58749#msg-58749

Tanks

No disrespect but I don't think it is marketable in it's current state.
I didn't see one single use of the word epic....

Love the photos. Esp. the Yosemite Toad. smiling smiley

August 18, 2012 08:10AM
DavidSenesac

Hi hikerchick395,

I know you often travel rather light...

Ha, David, compared to you maybe, with your big camera! I carry about 25# when dayhiking by myself. (Hey, I could've wrapped up in my outdoor blanket.) I usualy have a mini umbrella in my pack but I had removed it when in Lassen.

I didn't have a problem with getting wet (except for the cameras) while hiking but I got the shivers when I stopped. I do carry a trash bag in my overnight backpack for the backpack itself. And I did see one guy, when he passed me closing in on the trailhead, with a trashbag fashioned as a raincoat. I will put one in my day pack...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 11:03AM by eeek.
August 21, 2012 08:41AM
hikerchick395
...Ha, David, compared to you maybe, with your big camera! I carry about 25# when dayhiking by myself...

That is a heavy load for day hiking, As much as some ultralight backpackers. You must be lugging an interesting list of stuff.

August 20, 2012 04:53PM
AlmostThere

In Tenaya Canyon you'd best be more worried about the fact that you are going where pretty much everyone will tell you not to go, because it's some serious canyoneering - if you mean going down or up the canyon from/to Tenaya Lake to the valley floor.

serious canyoneering? you have never done Tenaya canyon or you have never done serious canyoneering.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 04:55PM by ryanmj.
August 22, 2012 10:41AM
...and she eats squeeters too

August 22, 2012 07:57PM
Forgot to mention (really wish I had taken pictures) A stretch of the canyon before the 3rd rappel which takes you into the inner gorge for the second time had a recent rock slide. Dust all over the south side of the canyon and caked on the rocks in the gorge. Probably about a 200' stretch. Had to of been some what recent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login