Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: So where the Heck have you been?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar So where the Heck have you been?
August 14, 2012 09:29PM
August 15, 2012 06:43AM
avatar Re: So where the Heck have you been?
August 15, 2012 09:32AM
We missed you chick-on. You probably got burned out on this site doing over 3000 posts in 2 years. You also get frustrated with all of the lame-os who never post anything. Sounds like you have still been doing a lot of exploring out there. I appreciate all of the info that you have shared in the past. Best wishes.
August 15, 2012 09:28PM
Heh heh heh,
Ewe Berry Smart Guy

tongue sticking out smiley

Been doing what been doing for so long now I can't remember.
If I'm not in The Sierra, I'm thinking about it.

Sure do miss The Old FartDude though.

Here's one I really love from Falls Ridge Trip with the Wifie:

This is what Yosemite is to me. So much to explore. So many things to see.
So easy to get solitude. Soooo easy...

Not the luckiest Bird in the world.... but nose I gots it good.

Have fun out there

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 15, 2012 10:21AM
I've been here!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 12:17PM by dewey.
August 15, 2012 01:44PM
dewey
I've been here!

Very cool shot!
August 15, 2012 06:32PM
DavidK42
dewey
I've been here!

Very cool shot!

Yes indeed. Where is that?
August 15, 2012 07:05PM
I had guessed near one of the roadside stops along the Dana Fork. In any case, definitely a cool picture.
August 15, 2012 08:44PM
It was taken at Horseshoe Meadow on June 21st of this year. We realy fell for the Eastern Sierra this trip. Horseshoe Meadow, Mosquito Flats, Bodie.
Great time.
August 15, 2012 10:27AM
I've been to the Whites, Sedona, Moab, and to see some of the ruins in Cedar Mesa.

https://www.facebook.com/RodneyNinowPhotography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 10:28AM by hotrod4x5.
August 15, 2012 10:40AM
I live vicariously through everyone here. No Yosemite for me this year. I'm going to try for a trip or two next year, but family obligations are taking up much of my free time.

It's not Yosemite, but here are pictures of us on the zip lines in Cabo San Lucas:

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/delabril/Carnival2012/ZipLines/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 12:16PM by Hitech.
August 15, 2012 09:32PM
Kewl.
(btw.. used the Sawyer Inline about.. I dunno 6 trips so far...)
(it's a winna) (just like ewe)
smiling smiley

August 15, 2012 10:54AM
Chained to a desk. bear trap
August 15, 2012 10:57AM
I just got back from Lava Beds National Monument in Modoc County. Didn't get too many good pictures from inside the caves....Also took the boat tour and climbed to the top of Wizard Island in the center of Crater Lake!

Then it was off the the beach house in Lincoln City, Oregon for a week....

Back to work now...dreaming up the next adventure!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
August 15, 2012 11:05AM
We made our first trips to Zion & Bryce at the beginning of the summer. I didn't post pics here since that's pretty far-removed from the Sierra (but those curious can find an album here). The weather's been so miserable here in the northeast this summer that some days I can barely make myself go out to the pool, much less get out to the few significant trails we have nearby. We're headed out to Yosemite early next month...spending a few days doing more of my beloved old-road investigations and then up to White Wolf to get a few hikes in along the Tioga Road. For THOSE, I'll post a trip report here!
August 15, 2012 09:32PM
HooDoo Ewe Luv?

August 16, 2012 05:44AM
chick-on
HooDoo Ewe Luv?

When you get down into the "canyon" (which isn't really a canyon) at Bryce, the hoodoos take on a totally different view. Photos I'd seen from the rim always made it seem like just a sea of eroded rock (not that THAT'S not cool) but when you start hiking among the individual hoodoos, everyone takes on it's own special persona. I saw images in so many of them that I started referring to Bryce as Rorschach National Park! The especially cool thing is depending on the light, the angle of approach, whether you're slightly above or slightly below them on the trail, all these things can turn a hoodoo into something completely different looking in a matter of minutes. It's a tiny park and you won't get a lot of miles under your boots here but the density of fascinating things to check out is stunning (unfortunately, unlike Yosemite, opportunities to escape the crowds are not quite so wide-spread...at least not at the time of year we were there (early June)).

So, HooDoo Eye Luv? Pretty much all of them! winking smiley
August 16, 2012 07:16AM
I know what you mean.

smiling smiley

Wassup Docavid?

I hope you find what you are looking for. (w/o too much Manzanita)

Nice Pizza! nom nom nom

August 15, 2012 12:03PM
A few places.

Welcome back!
August 15, 2012 01:23PM
No mega trip to multiple national parks this summer like we have been doing. Only a trip back east to see my mom and then a few long weekends in Yosemite. We did happen to find a NPS unit to go to when we were at my mom's - Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site.
August 15, 2012 02:30PM
I thought that this was where has the missing chick-on been, instead of where have we been. Here is a moose that I saw in the Grand Tetons last month.

August 15, 2012 03:23PM
Thanks for the moose fix. They are one of my favorite animals and when we have gone to the Tetons, we have always seen them at some point. Where was the video taken?
August 15, 2012 03:40PM
This was up in Cascade Canyon near the forks junction. We kept our distance. This was shot with a ton of zoom.
August 15, 2012 06:37PM
I thought that would be a possibility when I saw the video. We have been successful several times seeing moose in that area. How were the mosquitoes?
August 16, 2012 09:47AM
No mosquitoes at all. Looks like some bugs were bothering that moose, the way she was flopping her ears around though.
August 15, 2012 03:32PM
I'm guessing you went off-trail for a bit at that point! winking smiley
August 15, 2012 09:41PM
Wife and I hiked quite a bit in SW Yellowstone looking all around for Moose.
No such luck. Then when we went to Glacier we saw Mrs. Moose
in a lake diving and eating. Must have watched her for an hour.
Is majestic the right word for them?
That was 5 years ago. Have a really hard time not going to Yosemite nowadays.
Room with a view for a tank of gas for as many nights as I can get off. smiling smiley

Tanks for Sharon

August 16, 2012 10:01AM
chick-on
Wife and I hiked quite a bit in SW Yellowstone looking all around for Moose.
No such luck. Then when we went to Glacier we saw Mrs. Moose
in a lake diving and eating. Must have watched her for an hour.
Is majestic the right word for them?
That was 5 years ago. Have a really hard time not going to Yosemite nowadays.
Room with a view for a tank of gas for as many nights as I can get off. smiling smiley

Tanks for Sharon

I know what you mean about it being hard not going to Yosemite. It was hard to go to the Grand Tetons instead of Yosemite high country. Low snow and run off in the Sierra, made me want to see more snowmelt. There was definitely more snow and rushing water in the Tetons this year. It is always exciting to see lots of rushing water. Snuck in another trip to Yosemite after that.
August 16, 2012 10:41AM
https://picasaweb.google.com/110762383729316426110/GreenCreekToWhiteWolfYNP
Ok I can't be a "lame-o" lurker any longer! We just returned this week from a Northern Yosemite backpacking trip and here is a link to the pictures (i hope it works). We started at Green Creek trailhead and entered Yosemite at Summit Lake. We hike into Virginia Canyon, into lower Matterhorn Canyon, over Benson Pass to Rodgers Lake, where we have meant to camp after passing through a few years ago. We managed the heat and humidity in Pate Valley and up(!) to White Wolf. An excellent trip!smiling smiley
August 16, 2012 06:35PM
August 16, 2012 08:51PM
Rodney, all ur stuff is always so nice. You should post more.
You may get more business. I dunno.

August 17, 2012 10:04AM
chick-on
Rodney, all ur stuff is always so nice. You should post more.
You may get more business. I dunno.
Thanks chick!
August 16, 2012 08:50PM
Nurcher,
Dats what I'm talking about. Nice. We dooz the same start point over July 4th this year.
Green Lake was so pretty. Camped at Summit on day 1. Day 2 we zig into Matterhorn
Canyon. From there our paths diverged... (we went up Matt. Canyon... )
And then xcountry eventually getting to Shamrock to knock that baby off the Lake List.
I'm guessing you've done the route just about everyone does (we did it 10 years ago.. wink )
Twin Lakes... Kerrick... Seavey... Benson... Matterhorn Loop.
Well... if you haven't the upper reaches of Matterhorn Canyon are just spectacular.
Had forgotten just how good it is.. Another gem is Glines Canyon.
Had been up Virginia Pass before ... but never down Glines. And boy, both the
wife and I were really happy with the route. Much nicer in our opinions than
the Summit Lake route.
Anywho, have fun out der

August 17, 2012 08:26AM
Chick-on,
Upper Matterhorn is on my list. I like the East side approach to access YNP. Twin Lakes, Green Creek, Virginia Lakes are great! Seems easier to get a permit too.
August 17, 2012 08:52PM
nurcher
Chick-on,
Upper Matterhorn is on my list. I like the East side approach to access YNP. Twin Lakes, Green Creek, Virginia Lakes are great! Seems easier to get a permit too.
Virginia Lakes is prob. our favorite. We haven't reserved permits for many years now.
Just go with options. Woulda been bummed if didn't get Green... but if couldn't get that
we would have just gone down the list... Virginia, Twin, Lundy, and a guarantee... 20 Lakes Basin.
We had done Buckeye over the 4th in 2011 so that was lowest on the entry this year.
A bit on that is here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,40408

Have fun

August 19, 2012 12:43AM
Doing this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2012 11:34AM by eeek.
August 19, 2012 02:39PM
Very nice video!

(But how did you lose your mini-tripod in the White Mountains? Left it at the campsite? Tumbled down the mountainside?)
August 19, 2012 04:18PM
Thanks! I don't really know where I lost it. Campground maybe when packing up.

plawrence
Very nice video!

(But how did you lose your mini-tripod in the White Mountains? Left it at the campsite? Tumbled down the mountainside?)
August 19, 2012 11:33PM
I can't figure out how you know I lost the little tripod??? confused smiley

plawrence
Very nice video!

August 20, 2012 12:00AM
hotrod4x5

You wrote about it here:

http://vimeo.com/46447844

“I lost my mini tripod in the White Mountains, CA, so the camera is sitting on the ground during the 4.5 hour shoot.”

wink
August 21, 2012 03:54PM
Oh yeah!

plawrence
hotrod4x5

You wrote about it here:

http://vimeo.com/46447844

“I lost my mini tripod in the White Mountains, CA, so the camera is sitting on the ground during the 4.5 hour shoot.”

wink
August 18, 2012 08:12AM
nurcher
https://picasaweb.google.com/110762383729316426110/GreenCreekToWhiteWolfYNP
Ok I can't be a "lame-o" lurker any longer! We just returned this week from a Northern Yosemite backpacking trip and here is a link to the pictures (i hope it works). We started at Green Creek trailhead and entered Yosemite at Summit Lake. We hike into Virginia Canyon, into lower Matterhorn Canyon, over Benson Pass to Rodgers Lake, where we have meant to camp after passing through a few years ago. We managed the heat and humidity in Pate Valley and up(!) to White Wolf. An excellent trip!smiling smiley

What did you think of Rodgers Lake?
August 18, 2012 09:16AM
Loved it! A beautiful setting. We had hiked past it after staying at Smedberg a few years ago and vowed to come back. It was pretty empty of people too. We saw just 1 other party who we had been seeing everyday anyway. Had an Osprey fishing there too. Always a treat!
August 18, 2012 08:09AM
yosemitejim
I thought that this was where has the missing chick-on been, instead of where have we been. Here is a moose that I saw in the Grand Tetons last month.

Having been a former resident of Maine and now a frequent visitor, that's the first time I've ever seen a moose actually lying down.
August 15, 2012 09:33PM
I know Tom. The forum needs more like ewe.
I commend you. I've been lurking looking at your peek-chures.
Tanks for Sharon

August 15, 2012 03:36PM
Yosemite Valley in May including going over Tioga Pass and camping/fishing Lee Vining Creek. Mojave desert in May. Then the Twin Lakes area west of Bridgeport Ca. these last two weeks, including great fishing in Robinson Creek and great water sports on Upper Twin Lake at Mono Village. Maybe the Tetons in Sept., and back up to the Eastern Sierras in Oct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 03:36PM by mtn man.
August 15, 2012 09:36PM
I been here.
August 16, 2012 01:49PM

This is what I do when I have free time (kayak fishing outta Half Moon Bay)..until Sept. then me and my son hit Roosevelt Lake for some easy peakin
August 16, 2012 03:16PM
I can't imagine these pictures would interest anyone as I'm sure you all have seen these sites before, but since I know Chick-on likes pictures...

Here are pictures from 2009 with the family (From the valley and vernal falls):

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/delabril/Yosemite/2009/

And here is 2010 (just me and the wife). Illilouette to LYV, hald dome and out via the mist trail:

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/delabril/Yosemite/2010/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2012 04:21PM by Hitech.
August 17, 2012 07:50AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2012 07:58AM by Royalist.
August 17, 2012 08:10AM
Well... I can say I did think of you when went to go touch 2 of the Ten Lakes hadn't
touched before and then go sleep on this fin:

Went up the SF Cath a bit and then up the trail back towards Ten.
My thoughts were "how the heck can you complain about these views?"

Yeah the hike from Ten to Lukens is mostly trees... but that is why I usually don't hike on the trail.
wink

August 17, 2012 12:04PM
The only reason the GCT/Ten Lakes trip wasn't so good was because the distances and heat were too much for our level of fitness (much improved since), so we had neither time nor energy to explore much. We did the complete opposite for Matthes - allowed ridiculous amounts of time and just soaked it all in everywhere we went. That gave us time to noodle around and find that "secret" slot canyon (actually very easy if you go looking for it) between Echo Creek and Matthes (which I will post details of at some future time).

Look forward to GPS tracks of Falls Ridge - I was looking up at that from GCT and thinking it would be worth a visit. Up by McGee, I looked down the canyon that runs west back to the GCT and thought "we should go down there some time."

FYI, we have a lot of nice pics from both GCT/Ten Lakes and Matthes, and I plan to do some detailed TR's for both those, but life is too hectic just now. That TR with the route from Twin Lakes out to Benson has me thinking about Labor Day weekend. Nelson to Matthes over the ridge surprised DW, but I reckon she's got over it now, so time for some more XC. winking smiley
August 17, 2012 02:33PM
Here's where my we went! My best pics of the summer...

The highest point on Devil's Island, in the middle of Crater Lake

On top of Clouds Rest

At the entrance to the Jot Dean Ice Cave near Medicine Lake...not a great photo, but cool anyway.

Not done yet,,,Going to the Phantom Ranch in Grand Canyon over Labor day!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
August 17, 2012 09:02PM
Ah. OK.
Well.. I didn't put much on Eastern Falls Ridge... if anything...

But this was the Western Portion of Falls Ridge from Last Year.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,42824

Both sides have their perils.

August 17, 2012 08:35AM

I took the hubby up the lambie smiling smiley
August 17, 2012 09:02PM
hikerchick395
I took the hubby up the lambie smiling smiley
Nyce
smiling smiley

August 18, 2012 08:49AM
Just back from a wonderful 20 days on the JMT. More pictures to come...but wanted you to know that the wifey made sure that we stopped here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 08:50AM by Bearproof.
August 18, 2012 09:36AM
Bearproof
Just back from a wonderful 20 days on the JMT. More pictures to come...but wanted you to know that the wifey made sure that we stopped here...
I know she dressed the part too. wink

btw... Didn't see ur name up in the registry atop Shepherd's.... but wanted to let u know
that Adair is final lake on Lake Tour... so looking foward to mid-Oct.

August 19, 2012 10:18AM
Bearproof...did you camp at Purple Lake? News around here is that there were no usable campsites due to the blowdown (earlier in the season...)
August 22, 2012 06:41PM
Yep, we camped there cuz we didn't have much choice by the time we got there...shoulda stopped at Duck Creek or, if we had the legs (we didn't) gone on to Virginia. I don't recall blowdowns being a problem, its just not the most camp-able lake around. There were some decent spots on the north shore, we thought.
August 18, 2012 01:12PM
July 22, 2012 Graveyard Lakes, John Muir Wilderness

The below links to a just loaded homepage website feature story on my recent 9-day backpacking trip into the Silver Divide that has over 100 images on 9 pages.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/MinnowCr/minnowcr_0.html

http://www.davidsenesac.com
August 18, 2012 02:18PM
David,
Bowing to his greatness

Ask and I shall receive?

(btw... we dooz the Lookout Pt. down to Cherry Creek last weekend... no problemo)
(although problemo getting thru Cherry Bomb with camera no soaking wet!)

Have fun!

August 19, 2012 12:39PM
August 19, 2012 01:33PM
Incredible sunrise! Thanks for posting that.
August 20, 2012 07:37AM
ERICG
Tahoe is always nice in summer.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/620614_101415013339960_1701246136_o.jpg

Eric, Wow! Awesome

Love it.

So... did you make it up to Lower Cathedral by any chance via the Short-cut Route?
smiling smiley

August 20, 2012 09:11AM
The old work schedule got in the way so hoping to try for Labor day weekend. I will be sure to post some images (now that I figured-out how thanks to eeek) if I make it. smiling smiley
August 21, 2012 12:29PM
Old hat I know, but some pics from my hike to Half Dome.

Also since April have done these hikes: Mirror Lake/Valley Loop, Rancheria Falls, North Dome, Gaylor Lakes, and this twice: Valley -> Nevada Falls (once by Mist Trail, other by JMT) -> Glacier Point via Panorama Trail -> Valley via 4-mile

I'm going to Glacier National Park in 2 weeks for 3 days. Any suggestions for hikes there?
August 21, 2012 01:59PM
yose42
Valley -> Nevada Falls (once by Mist Trail, other by JMT) -> Glacier Point via Panorama Trail -> Valley via 4-mile

That's a favourite of ours!
August 21, 2012 02:58PM
yose42
Old hat I know, but some pics from my hike to Half Dome.

Also since April have done these hikes: Mirror Lake/Valley Loop, Rancheria Falls, North Dome, Gaylor Lakes, and this twice: Valley -> Nevada Falls (once by Mist Trail, other by JMT) -> Glacier Point via Panorama Trail -> Valley via 4-mile

I'm going to Glacier National Park in 2 weeks for 3 days. Any suggestions for hikes there?
Love Glacier National Park. Grinnell Lake & Glacier is don't miss. Hidden Lake is short but great. Both of these may be crowded. Swiftcurrent Pass seemed less crowded. Iceburg Lake is also nice. Haven't been to Gunsight Pass, but it looks like it would be great.
August 23, 2012 12:41AM
Thanks for the suggestions. smiling smiley
August 23, 2012 06:59AM
Yose42, only been there once...
3 days... sigh... not enough time...

We did this when we were there:
- Snyder Lakes
- Avalanche Lake
- Highline Trail from Logans down to The Loop (take shuttle back to car)
- Up Swiftcurrent (saw Moose there)
- Loop around Grinnel Glacier (trail closures in this area due to bear activity)
- Apikuni Falls
- Loop at Two Medicine (Pitamakan Pass/Dawson .. up Flinsch.. )
As Part of Backpack to Gunsight Lake:
- Gunsight Lake
- Gunsight Pass
- Jackson Glacier
- Florence Falls
- St. Mary Falls
- Virginia Falls

And that was a week. Every single hike was spectacular. You just cannot go wrong.
I really can't pick one or two out. We backpacked Gunsight... but that was just
because I'm a nutsoid avid backpacker and I HAD to backpack there.
You can dayhike all this stuff. (the bp trip we did was super easy)

Have fun!

August 21, 2012 03:02PM
Yose42,

I enjoyed your photo album of the Half Dome hike. Brought back
some good memories.
August 22, 2012 07:50AM
Muchos Gracias to all those who posted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login