All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite in 1916
August 16, 2012 01:12PM
I came across these pictures in a book that my Grandma had made for the family. She is pretty into genealogy and prints us out books of what was going on with our family back when. I guess it makes sense now why I love Yosemite. Most of the pictures were family with trees in the background but I tried to pull some of common sites for you guys. Is the last one taken from Sierra Point?

Is this one from Sierra Point?

Edit: One more

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2012 01:48PM by gkam2.
August 16, 2012 01:47PM
gkam2
Is the last one taken from Sierra Point?

The one with the car?
Re: Yosemite in 1916
August 16, 2012 01:48PM
whoops I mean the one before the car
August 16, 2012 01:56PM
gkam2
whoops I mean the one before the car

That one certainly looks like it's from Sierra Point.

August 16, 2012 02:08PM
Thanks for posting all those wonderful photos! I especially liked the one of the people standing on the big boulder with Illilouette Fall in the background.

Does anyone know where that log with a metal railing bridge was located shown in another photo? Over Tenaya Creek perhaps?

August 16, 2012 08:58PM
My guess on the log bridge would be Happy Isles.
If you look at a 1918 Yose Valley map... there's not a lot of trails over creeks.

I find the Vernal Falls one particularly interesting. More so than the 2 Sierra Pt. ones.
Mainly due to what is there and what isn't there.

Tanks for Sharon

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 16, 2012 04:58PM
Cool to see how they dressed in those days.
August 16, 2012 05:36PM
The one two before that, with Urban Clark Billingsly, certainly looks like Illilouette Falls as seen from Sierra Point. If so, it has some stonework that is no longer there.
August 16, 2012 05:38PM
Does anyone now of the location of the photo w/ the caption "standing, urban clark". I think that's of sierra point too but I'm not too certain.
August 16, 2012 08:01PM
Nice shots. Yes, that is Illilouette Falls as seen from Sierra Point. Here's a similar angle from May 2012:

August 16, 2012 08:21PM
Those are so great!! You are lucky to have family pictures from that long ago and Yosemite ones at that. Thanks for sharing.
August 17, 2012 01:59AM
#1) Rainbow View, maybe the old railing?, along Old Big Oak Flat Road
#2) unknown log bridge, maybe in Happy Isles area
#3) upper Mist Trail under Nevada Fall
#4) Sierra Point with Illioluite Fall/canyon in background
#5) railing at top of Vernal Fall
#6) looking at Nevada and Vernal Falls from Sierra Point
#7) unknown
August 18, 2012 12:35PM
Is that a waterfall coming down to the right of Vernal, or is it just a faded area on the photo? If it's a waterfall, what happened to it (why isn't it there today)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 12:36PM by Royalist.
August 18, 2012 02:16PM
Royalist
Is that a waterfall coming down to the right of Vernal, or is it just a faded area on the photo? If it's a waterfall, what happened to it (why isn't it there today)?

If you mean the photo from Sierra Pt. above the car...
um... the falls to the upper right of Vernal is um... Nevada
directly to the right of it is ... simply Mist

Is that what you are talking about????

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 18, 2012 02:17PM
Royalist

I think you're seeing the mist coming off of Vernal Fall, blowing across the trail, and up the cliff face.

It's called Mist Trail for a reason! It can be like hiking through a hurricane in that section of trail during peak water flow.
August 18, 2012 02:39PM
qumqats
I think you're seeing the mist coming off of Vernal Fall, blowing across the trail, and up the cliff face.

I guess so - I just never realised it could go up so high above the fall. Never been up to Sierra Point to see it, and I don't think it would be obvious from the main trail.

It can be like hiking through a hurricane in that section of trail during peak water flow.

Yup, we have experienced that a few times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login