All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Options for Thanksgiving Weekend?
August 29, 2012 04:44AM
I am thinking about making a short trip out to Yosemite for the Thanksgiving holiday (possibly Wednesday to Sunday) and I am wondering what my options would be regarding snow. I know that it is too early to tell right now, but lets assume it's a normal snow year.

The Tioga Road will be closed to overnight traffic, and quite possibly all together so that's probably out as far as a starting point. I am interested in both day hikes and overnight trips. I have winter backpacking and snowshoe experience, but I wouldn't say my cross country navigation skills are excellent.

For those of you who have visited in the winter, what did you do?

Thanks!

Matt
Re: Trip Options for Thanksgiving Weekend?
August 29, 2012 06:39AM
It's very rare for the to be enough snow to do anything snow related that time of year. Out of the last 10 years, the Tioga road only closed 5 times before Thanksgiving. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm
avatar Re: Trip Options for Thanksgiving Weekend?
September 03, 2012 05:34PM
I had to take off my socks but I counted 6. And 2 other years it was closed within a week.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 29, 2012 09:30PM
The biggest restriction in regards to backpacking during the Thanksgiving weekend is that even if Tioga Road is still open, no overnight parking is permitted on Tioga Road after October 15th of each year. So plan on starting a backpacking trip on a trailhead that is NOT on Tioga Road.

If there's snow, it most likely be patchy, just here and there.

August 31, 2012 05:13AM
For thanksgiving, the Kibbie Lake Trailhead, Eleanor Trailhead and Hetchy Trailhead should all be open and plenty of terrain is accessable from there. If I recall correctly, I believe Chick-on spent either Thanksgiving or Christmas at Lake Vernon 2 years ago, so its definitely doable.
August 31, 2012 11:50AM
oakroscoe
For thanksgiving, the Kibbie Lake Trailhead, Eleanor Trailhead and Hetchy Trailhead should all be open and plenty of terrain is accessable from there.

Access to Kibbie and Eleanor will start at the dam as the road across the dam closes in mid September to hold the hunters at bay.

Old Dude
August 31, 2012 02:34PM
mrcondron

Access to Kibbie and Eleanor will start at the dam as the road across the dam closes in mid September to hold the hunters at bay.

That's a negative. The gate is open until Dec 15 now.
August 31, 2012 04:39PM
oakroscoe
mrcondron

That's a negative. The gate is open until Dec 15 now.

Glad to hear that. It's been a while since I've trod there in the fall.

Old Dude
September 03, 2012 05:43PM
We've spent Thanksgiving at Eleanor many years ago. No snowshoes were required...
but you certainly couldn't drive to the TH even if the road restrictions were what they are today.
(I mentioned the road which you told me about about 5 times now... Old Dude no listen)

Vernon was Xmass. And that was 2 very difficult days of snowshoeing with many many many feet of snow.

Last year was an aberration. No way would I count on that happening again.

Still... into December there are many options. All trails out of the valley are nice. No bugs. But
very very very short days. Nearly every trail out of the valley we've done in November or December.

The best bet imhco for this person is to go up Merced River. It will almost assuredly be free of snow...
and if it does snow... it's the best bet for clearing up quickly.
Do not take things lightly though. In 2008 a guy got stuck in early November doing Red Peak Pass.
He didn't leave much of anything with anyone and nearly perished.
A week or so later the weather was gorgeous and I hike to Tenaya Lake from the valley and thru
Cath Lakes and Sunrise / JMT to valley....
I highly recommend NOT doing anything more than 4 days unless you are fully prepared for
winter and think long and hard of bringing snowshoes. A brand new 4 ft. dump of snow
can leave you stranded for days.

Anyway... blah blah blah

To original poster:
Go up Yosemite Falls Trail
Go up Snow Creek Trail
Go up by Half a Dome or by Bunnell

It all good. It can be done into December

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 31, 2012 09:50AM
What about day hikes that end well after sunset? Say I want to be at Cathedral Lakes for sunset and hike back to my car in the dark, will I find a ticket?
September 01, 2012 09:29PM
hotrod4x5
What about day hikes that end well after sunset? Say I want to be at Cathedral Lakes for sunset and hike back to my car in the dark, will I find a ticket?

Anybody know?
September 02, 2012 11:37AM
hotrod4x5
hotrod4x5

Anybody know?

I don't know for sure but I doubt they'd ticket anybody in the evening.
September 04, 2012 09:44AM
hotrod4x5
hotrod4x5

Anybody know?

You'll be 100% safe from getting a ticket if you leave a note on your dashboard stating you're on day-hike and will be back before midnight.
August 31, 2012 03:40PM
Last Thanksgiving (or rather, the few days after) I had posted a trip report here of a hike up Snow Creek Trail, other hikes out of Yosemite Valley other than 4 mile could be options as well. Be sure to check the forecasts as you head out, last year there was hardly any snow until late January but that's not normal, Thanksgiving could be hit-or-miss.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login