Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome research

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 05, 2012 10:29AM
I am putting together a couple of public outreach presentations for the REI store in Raleigh, NC. The first talk is just for 1st time visitors and day hiking. The 2nd talk is strictly for backpackers. Since I've never had any personal desire to do Half Dome I've pretty much ignored most of the HD discussions. One of my suggested hikes for backpackers will of course be the Cathedral trailhead to Yos Valley trip, including many possible variations. Obviously, the Half Dome detour has to be listed as an option.

Question: I presume backpackers coming from the high country need to have Half Dome specifically listed as part of their permit because it's going to have an impact on both day hikers and backpackers originating in Yos Valley. Normally, one is free to change their backpacking plan after the first night but is this true of those doing Half Dome? Do hikers coming from the high country still have to do Half Dome on the exact day they indicated they would? Also, just for clarification, is Half Dome actually listed on the wilderness permit or are they also issued a separate permit just for Half Dome?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 10:31AM by tomdisco.
September 05, 2012 10:40AM
You probably want to check with Rick Deutsch. He has done several REI talks and knows tons about HD.
September 05, 2012 12:31PM
We took the trek from Cathedral lakes to Yos Valley in June 2011, and the rangers issued seperate, date specific Half dome permits with our wilderness permit.
September 05, 2012 01:58PM
Coolburn,
Thank you; I wondered about that.
Jim
September 05, 2012 06:19PM
If you decide to go up HD consider doing it early morning or evening if your schedule allows it. Less people on top
September 05, 2012 07:20PM
This may help:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm

Rules and reg w/r to Half Dome have changed over the last couple of years.
I do know w/o question it's 5 dollars per person to go up the cables when
they are up. Also they give you a separate "HD ticket thingie for your 5 dollars".

Luckily the widerness permits are still free of charge. (unlike SEKI)

Good luck in your research...

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 05, 2012 10:30PM
I recently did an overnight that included HD. The permit issuing station was able to include the amount of people and that we had paid the additional $5 per person directly on the wilderness permit. It was not a date specific as to when we could ascend.
September 06, 2012 06:57AM
Torero14
I recently did an overnight that included HD. The permit issuing station was able to include the amount of people and that we had paid the additional $5 per person directly on the wilderness permit. It was not a date specific as to when we could ascend.

I find it interesting that you did not have a separate HD permit. That left you with just the regular wilderness permit, with no requirement to adhere to your hiking plan after the first night. If HD occurred other than the 1st day of your trip it automatically became date optional when you did HD. I'm wondering if this is new policy for backpackers or you simply got a permit ranger who messed up not issuing a separate HD permit. Where did your hike originate and on which day of the hike did you do Half Dome? Very curious.

I'm getting contradictory information on this topic. I'm probably going to have to call one of the permit offices someday to get the straight skinny on this (I hope). If I'm giving a talk on the subject it needs to be accurate. Anybody else here able to shed some light on this?

Jim
September 06, 2012 07:28AM
Sorry if I bother you but I don't understand.

It's quite simple, regardless of whether they give you a separate piece of paper or not.
(they definitely were giving a separate piece of paper earlier in the year at BOF)
Again, regardless it's quite simple what to tell people.... if your trip itinerary includes
a reasonable route near Half Dome you may summit Half Dome by paying 5 dollars
per person. To tie you into an exact date for backpacking would just cause them
more problems. Few, if any, stick to the plan they set out with.
Thus the comment by toreo about date of HD summit.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login