Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Seasonal Campground Closures

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Seasonal Campground Closures
September 07, 2012 05:59PM
Bridalveil Creek Campground and Yosemite Creek Campground will close for the season at noon on Monday, September 10.
avatar Re: Seasonal Campground Closures
September 07, 2012 09:22PM
Always sad to see the season come to an end. Is it because of cold weather/Is it freezing at night now?
September 07, 2012 09:48PM
Sept 10th seems early, but I suppose they don't want anyone getting stuck in snow.
September 08, 2012 07:15AM
hotrod4x5
Sept 10th seems early, but I suppose they don't want anyone getting stuck in snow.

That and there's a lack of demand.
September 08, 2012 09:01AM
A lack of demand means it needs to close? I guess if it open, then there is some maintenance to be done, and that costs money.
September 08, 2012 09:16AM
I could understand closing the Yosemite Creek CG early due to the lack of demand and also the lack of water (the flow of Yosemite Creek gets to be too low), but why the Bridalveil Creek CG?

It's the only nice campground south of Yosemite Valley, and it has plumbing (water on tap and flush toilets) so it's not reliant on the water level of Bridalveil Creek. It always annoys me that the Park Service always closes the Bridalveil Creek CG so early.

September 08, 2012 02:48PM
plawrence
I could understand closing the Yosemite Creek CG early due to the lack of demand and also the lack of water (the flow of Yosemite Creek gets to be too low), but why the Bridalveil Creek CG?

It's the only nice campground south of Yosemite Valley, and it has plumbing (water on tap and flush toilets) so it's not reliant on the water level of Bridalveil Creek. It always annoys me that the Park Service always closes the Bridalveil Creek CG so early.

And those pipes can freeze at night.
September 08, 2012 06:39PM
So it is freezing overnight already? Wow.
September 09, 2012 01:58AM
eeek
plawrence

And those pipes can freeze at night.

The risk of those pipes freezing anytime in September is quite low.
September 09, 2012 07:26AM
plawrence

It's the only nice campground south of Yosemite Valley, and it has plumbing (water on tap and flush toilets) so it's not reliant on the water level of Bridalveil Creek. It always annoys me that the Park Service always closes the Bridalveil Creek CG so early..
My guess would be lack of demand. Keeping them open for just a few campers, I believe, wouldn't justify paying staff to deal with it. Also, the maintenance bit, the Park is old, the infrastructure is old. The crews are busy and closing a campground takes time, a bit more time than turning off a water valve and locking the gate. They have lots to do so closing all of the campgrounds at once would cause problems elsewhere due to lack of repairs elsewhere.
September 08, 2012 11:11PM
Definately not even close to freezing at night yet and I don't they closed it because they were worried about snow!

It is still summer after all grinning smiley
September 09, 2012 09:06AM
ckm554
Definately not even close to freezing at night yet and I don't they closed it because they were worried about snow!

It is still summer after all grinning smiley

Last trip... ok, it was higher elevation... but 2 or 3 of the nights were below freezing.
It frequently gets below freezing at the higher elevations in Sept.

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 09, 2012 11:39AM
I don't think it would be common for temps to go below freezing at 7k feet in Sept. At least not until late Sept. The 7-day forcast for 7,200 feet in the area of Bridalveil Creek calls for highs in the 70s and lows around 50. Of course it could go below freezing any time of year but I doubt the average low in Sept for the Bridalveil Creek campground is below freezing.

Edit: Not sure I would describe Bridaveil Creek campground as being in the "higher elevations." tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 11:41AM by ckm554.
September 09, 2012 11:59AM
ckm554
I don't think it would be common for temps to go below freezing at 7k feet in Sept. At least not until late Sept. The 7-day forcast for 7,200 feet in the area of Bridalveil Creek calls for highs in the 70s and lows around 50. Of course it could go below freezing any time of year but I doubt the average low in Sept for the Bridalveil Creek campground is below freezing....
It only has to happen once for it to create a big mess of broken pipes, wasted water, along time and money fixing it all.
September 09, 2012 03:34PM
No. But it will in October. And guaranteed by mid-October.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login