Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: What to do in Oregon/S Washington? (advice request)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar What to do in Oregon/S Washington? (advice request)
September 10, 2012 07:41AM
OK, here is your chance to chime in and give me some good advice.
What have you done in Oregon and Southern Washington that was kick booty?
If you don't know anything about me... I purty much backpack every single
weekend throughout the entire year in The Sierra. Wifey and I love to hike.
She pretty much Lemming wherever I go but I'm no Dodo and I don't take
her up scary stuff. So anything hiking is fair game... but top of Hood is prob.
not in the cards for her (and thus me either).
I would really like to see Mt. St. Helens.
We have been to Crater.

Please chime in. Give as much detail as you like.

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 10, 2012 07:54AM
One suggestion, while not backpacking...and I don't know what water flows will be for the time of year (?) you're planning for, is to see as many waterfalls as possible along the Columbia River Gorge.

This got us into a waterfall frenzy...visiting more waterfalls in the Three Sisters area and vowing to go back to the Umqua River.

Mount Saint Helens is interesting...we were there in 1990, then in 2010. Amazing to see how much, and how little, has changed Ash still blows from the mountain and Spirit Lake is still clogged with trees.
avatar Re: What to do in Oregon/S Washington? (advice request)
September 10, 2012 08:12AM
I should have clarified. Sorry. I just mentioned I'm a nutjob backpacker to drill
down the point that we love to hike. This is not a backpacking trip.
(I tried like heck to get her to agree to yet another tromp in Yosmite Backcountry
for 5 days on the 20 zillion trip ideas I got in my head... but no workie)
We'll be taking some camping gear though and will probably spend a few nights
at some campground somewhere. So drivein campgrounds suggestions are
welcome. (any and all advice is welcome).
(actually... pretty certain I'll have a set of backpacking gear with us... so if
anyone knows a nice one night destination that iz da bomb... I can bait and
switch her into that... har har har)
smiling smiley

September 10, 2012 08:14AM
We'll be staying at hotels/motels also... First night will be near Portland.

Been looking at some stuff... just wondering what others have done and what they enjoyed.

Thanks

September 10, 2012 11:22AM
Are you flying, or driving up, to Portland?

If you're driving up, go the slower, but far more scenic, way via US-101 versus I-5. Oregon has a spectacular coastline.

If you're flying up during the day, be sure to get a window seat on the right-side of the plane to view Mt. Shasta from the air. On the way back, get a window seat on the left-side to see Shasta and the rest of the Cascades.

September 10, 2012 08:27AM
I suggest pulling up Oregons web site. They are the most organized site I have ever been to. Want to see the waterfalls..road map for that. Old bridges,..road map for that. Wineries..the same. They want people to come..and the campgounds awesome. You will actually see many places on 5 that people just pull off aand over and camp right along the river banks. There is also two magazines you can pick up..one for Oregon and one for Washington. I think I picked them up at more a truck like stop in May. Very informative, lots of info on destinations, food, places to stat. I believe it is called Travel Oregon and I bet they have a web site.
September 10, 2012 08:44AM
nightsklabs
I suggest pulling up Oregons web site. They are the most organized site I have ever been to. Want to see the waterfalls..road map for that. Old bridges,..road map for that. Wineries..the same. They want people to come..and the campgounds awesome. You will actually see many places on 5 that people just pull off aand over and camp right along the river banks. There is also two magazines you can pick up..one for Oregon and one for Washington. I think I picked them up at more a truck like stop in May. Very informative, lots of info on destinations, food, places to stat. I believe it is called Travel Oregon and I bet they have a web site.
Yes, thank you. I have looked at both those already. (was home all weekend sans little hike here in Bay Area)
I was wondering:
"What have you done in Oregon and Southern Washington that was kick booty?"

It can be anything. Like "I loved the cow statue in Downtown Portland".
Or "mmmmm.... beer"

Thx

September 10, 2012 08:59AM
Sadly, when I go To Oregon it involves slave labor! The property must take it's pound of flesh. We are the only people I am sure that drive 8 hours to maintain 3 acres in 2 days and drive back home..

What have I seen...The U of O stadium is pretty cool to see, Especially if it is open and you can convince someone to let you go look at it (yes, that is the extent of my sight seeing! ...um...but what would I like to see??? Tillamook cheese factory, the seal caves, the wildlife safari park, horseback ride at florence beach..the waterfalls, portland (but briefly). Bike the endless trails. Okay, any where except my house, but I like the down time there to.

Also, as a side note. Everyone in Oregon likes to talk. It's hard to set aside our cali way of life even for a trip to the grocery store. It takes twice the normal time imo. Oh and don't get me started on a trip to Home Depot!! You can only buy beer and wine at the grocery store, all else has to be bought at a "liqueur" store.

Mark Hudon off the supertopo web sight lives in Oregon and is a avid climber, so he could probably give you some great places to see...
September 10, 2012 09:25AM
Hilarious. Tanks.

We've only been thru Oregon once. Boggled my chick-on brain.
Really? We can't pump our own gas? Seriously?

(funny thing there was... we filled up the previous night... and then forgot
and go to the gas station in the morning... and the guy scolds me for attempting
self serve and then... oops... Z car only needed 1 gallon. Precious)

btw... we stopped along the Snake River... was looking for Evel ... my childhood hero.
smiling smiley

September 11, 2012 05:41AM
Not pumping one's own gas doesn't seem to make any difference in price, when I went to the Sky Lakes Wilderness and Ashland this summer gas prices were (as usual) better than CA, so I take it as an opportunity to not smell like gasoline. Of course, I've only driven to OR and therefore never had to ask an attendant to fill an MSR bottle w/ regular.

Not sure when you're going, their rainy season starts earlier than ours, but I did a one-night trip years ago to the hut at Camp Muir on Rainier. Its 10,000 ft. on the south side of the mountain, just before then snow field turns into a glacier. As a caution, there's plenty of rodents there. I think I've mentioned this here, I woke up to a beautiful red sunrise, had a quick breakfast, and hurried down the mountain just as a storm was coming in.

I've also been to the Olympics and Glacier Peak area.

Edit: Paradise Ranger Station Climate: here's what I meant by the rainy season starting earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 06:01AM by ttilley.
September 10, 2012 09:24AM
One of our favorite campsites on our last trip was on the Metolius River (OR) near where it starts flowing from underground.
September 10, 2012 10:25AM
All kinds of cool stuff to see, near the top of the list are the waterfalls in the gorge for sure. Hike to the top of Multnomah if you have time.
September 10, 2012 10:35AM
Yes, my husbnad hates the no pumping your own gas, but personally I love it..esp when we travel late and it's cold. I can even tell you which gas startions I avoid and which towns I won't even eat fast food at..it drives hubby crazy!
September 10, 2012 11:05AM
Gas is quite a bit cheaper in OR compared to WA, so the pumping part is worth it.
September 10, 2012 11:00AM
Been 30 yrs. since I've been to this area so don't have much detail but I remember it being a beautiful area accessed by some roads and hiking trails. Here's a link...
http://www.sistersoregonguide.com/recreation-hiking.html
September 10, 2012 11:24AM
If you can make it up to Mt. Rainier NP (southern-ish Washington) and have good weather, a long day hike up the mountain to Camp Muir is a great adventure: on trail up to a snowfield, then up the (well-tracked, heavily trod) snowfield on a ridge between two glaciers to the climbers' basecamp at 10,000'. Bring rainpants or garbage bags for optional glissading on the way down.

http://www.visitrainier.com/pg/hike/1/Camp%20Muir%20Trail/

Edited: that's Mt. Rainier, not Mr. Rainier. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 11:25AM by oso101.
September 10, 2012 11:37AM
Talking about Mt. Rainier, one of my favorite beer commercials of all-time:

September 10, 2012 02:23PM
Hey man - I grew up in that area, spent my all my summers backpacking. My mom still lives up there, I'm overdue for a visit myself.

You could easily hike up Hood if you wanted, the south side slog is well within your abilities. Crampons/axe for summit. You might benefit from a local partner; I have a buddy who I might be able to drag out or you could check on CascadeClimbers. Spring is the primary season but folks climb it year-round. Gotta keep an eye on conditions.

Timberline Lodge is a cool spot, you could hike up to Illumination Rock or even ride the lifts up the Palmer. Timberline in the PNW is real low, 6000' or so.

The Timberline Trail circumnavigates the mountain. The entirety might be a little long for your purposes and a section got wiped out a couple of years ago. You could drive in through Lolo Pass, do an out-and-back across the north side, real nice up there.
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Timberline_Trail_around_Mount_Hood_Hike

Lots of cool trails in the Gorge. Eagle Creek is my favorite. A few nice spots to camp along the creek if you want to spend a night up there.
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Tunnel_Falls_Hike

St. Helens has a fancy visitor center on the north side and some trails that branch out from it. You get a feeling for the power of that sucker, pretty impressive. The standard jaunt to the rim is from the south, permits required.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mountsthelens/home/?cid=stelprdb5144806

A little further north is a real gem, the Goat Rocks Wilderness.
http://www.summitpost.org/goat-rocks-wa/170956

The Oregon Coast is also pretty awesome. You can camp on the beach anywhere you like a mile out of city limits; there a few nice walk-ins and plenty of drive-in campsites.
http://cms.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/Pages/OCT_main.aspx
http://www.beachconnection.net/oregon_coast/62107oregon_coast_camping.php

Off the top of my head, those would be my first recommendations. Better stop daydreaming and get back to work now.
September 10, 2012 07:51PM
Thanks Joe! (I'll need some time to digest this... but just want to say initial big thanks)

September 10, 2012 11:54PM
I love this forum. If I am going anywhere in the country (shoot anywhere in the world) I am coming here to ask for suggestions. Amazing.
September 11, 2012 03:00AM
If staying in a motel along the coast, Yachats is a good choice.Beautiful place,nice town, funny people.
September 11, 2012 09:43AM
Nobody but nobody knows Oregon like Terry Richard. http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard/index.html A DEEP set of short travel reports.

If you have the time and inclination, far out to the southeast lie the most amazing mountains, the Steens.

Google 'Steen Mountains' and you'll see.
September 11, 2012 11:31AM
What. The wife doesn't want to go to Yosemite again. What's wrong with her?smiling smiley Actually she seems pretty amazing by the looks of all the places she has gone. Guess you gotta make her happy once in awhile.

Jefferson Park and Mount Jefferson are great. Didn't make it too far because of tons of snow one July. Heard it can get crowded though.
http://web.oregon.com/hiking/jefferson_park.cfm
Drove the Cascade Lakes Highway. It looked like hiking would be great, but didn't have much time and also had tons of snow.
http://www.sistersoregonguide.com/recreation-hiking.html
Proxy Falls is short but great(also on link above)
Silver Falls State Park is pretty cool. Shorter day hike with lots of waterfalls. You can go behind some of them. Some paved trail sections and railings may take away from wilderness experience though.
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_211.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 11:32AM by yosemitejim.
September 11, 2012 11:45AM
I haven't been to Whinnimic Falls and Spectacle Lake, but pictures look like don't miss. This is probably more central Washington. There are some great pictures on Google Earth in this area.
http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/image_new.php?num=4708
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/spectacle-lake
September 11, 2012 07:01PM
yosemitejim
What. The wife doesn't want to go to Yosemite again. What's wrong with her?smiling smiley

I know. I don't get it either!

smiling smiley

(seriously though... she let me run around 2 separate times for a week each without her...
and then 15 other weekends+ so far this year w/o her... so I got no complaints... gotta keep her happy)
(including the trips did with her... uh ya... I owe her... big time)

Thanks all for all the ideas... more please

September 11, 2012 08:06PM
A LONG time ago I swam in Shasta Lake and it was just awesome. I'm not sure if this is too late in the season or not.
September 12, 2012 07:27AM
chicagocwright
A LONG time ago I swam in Shasta Lake and it was just awesome. I'm not sure if this is too late in the season or not.

That's nice... tongue sticking out smiley I also saw you swimming in some lake in Alaska...
I'd end up with icicles on my dingle-dong if I did that. I aint gotz a lot of meats on my bones.
(ok, I'm a weiner dog for cold water)

Definitely will not be stopping at Shasta Lake. tongue sticking out smiley

Good luck on your Whitney jaunt.

September 12, 2012 08:09AM
chick-on
chicagocwright

That's nice... tongue sticking out smiley I also saw you swimming in some lake in Alaska...
I'd end up with icicles on my dingle-dong if I did that. I aint gotz a lot of meats on my bones.
(ok, I'm a weiner dog for cold water)

Definitely will not be stopping at Shasta Lake. tongue sticking out smiley

Good luck on your Whitney jaunt.

Head roll Is it really uncommon or strange to swim in Shasta Lake? I've got no meat on my bones either, I just like to swim! I was afraid I would not get to swim anymore (outside) once I moved here to Alaska and was pleasantly surprised on the Crow Pass hike.
September 12, 2012 06:34PM
I've swam in Shasta Resevoir once, but I greatly prefer Whiskeytown for swimming. Clearer water (comes from Trinity Resevoir via tunnel), and the resevoir is kept full.
September 12, 2012 08:58PM
I purfur my hottub in the backyard of da Chick-on Ranch.
tongue sticking out smiley

September 16, 2012 02:53PM
This seems like a pretty nice swimming hole, though I can't figure out how to fit it in my backyard:

September 12, 2012 08:54PM
chick-on
yosemitejim

(seriously though... she let me run around 2 separate times for a week each without her...
and then 15 other weekends+ so far this year w/o her... so I got no complaints

btw. What type of job do you have? You seem to be able to get a ton of time off. Might have to try to get that kind of job.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 08:57PM by yosemitejim.
September 13, 2012 05:53PM
More around Mount Jefferson. Cathedral Rocks Canyon looks really cool.
http://www.pacificcreststock.com/blog/tag/mount-jefferson-
September 11, 2012 04:46PM
My brother lives in S.Oregon, i'll shoot him an email and see what he says.
September 12, 2012 06:51PM
OK, I've been a lurker on this forum for awhile and Chick-on's request got me to finally sign up. Luv the Chick-on posts, pics and maps, which are such a valuable asset and extremely enjoyable. I highly recommend the area around Bend. Was there for a week in July and did a bit of hiking (it was more a scouting trip for future visits). Rented a house in town and used it as kind of our basecamp, doing day trips from there. There are many hiking/camping opportunities along the Cascade Lakes Highway...Mt. Bachelor (only about 20 minutes from town) and beyond. We hiked at Sparks Lake and poked around Lava Lake and a few of the others (this is not really heavy-duty hiking). South Sister and Broken Top (heavier duty) in the 3 Sisters Wilderness are options but keep in mind there's currently a fire south of South Sister: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3244/. Back in Bend, there are "urban hikes" right in town along the Deschutes River and in Shevlin Park. We really loved the place and are even considering looking into a vakay place. Somebody may have already listed this site but it seems useful: http://traveloregon.com/see-do/recreation/hiking/listing/page/2/listing/.
September 12, 2012 08:56PM
Tanks SoCalHikeyChicky.

And I will definitely put up a posty of where we go after we get back.
It's sooner rather than later but not too soon or too late more or less
give or take a week or two and a couple more trips to my beloved
Yosemite before then. wink

September 15, 2012 09:44AM
Dooood!
It's like asking what to do in Yosemite..infinite possibilities...as you know!
I mighta missed it...when are you going?
Bend has a pretty cool little downtown and the Deschurtes Brewery has a nice tour. Sisters area is also good, and the Metoleus (mentioned earlier) is a must see, an entire river popping right out of the side of a hill.
The old Columbia River highway is a nice drive out of Portland, lots of stops with short hikes to see some pretty cool waterfalls. Lots of tooristas, however. But you can end up at the Full Sail Brewery at the east end. smileys with beer.
My brother lives in Portland...he will have some recommendations, I will let you know.
September 15, 2012 10:05AM
A very experienced mountain guide (he led a friend & I on Shasta in May) suggested that the hike up South Sister is really beautiful.

Have Fun!
October 06, 2012 04:58PM
OK.

We goes for 7 days... we back. We had fun. Running around like you know what with round thing that suppose to be on top cut off.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Berry Much Appreciated!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login