All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome Cables Added as an Historic Site
September 12, 2012 09:51AM
Yosemite's Half Dome Cables added to National Register of Historic Places

By Associated Press, Published: September 11
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — A rocky trail and hundreds of feet of twisted metal cables might not immediately conjure an image of something worthy of historical preservation.

But when the trail leads to the iconic Half Dome in Yosemite National Park and the cables allow armchair wilderness lovers to ascend the once-inaccessible granite monolith, the significance was enough for a spot on the list of National Register of Historic Places.

The designation at the end of August went virtually unnoticed, but the Half Dome was still on the minds of hikers and wilderness advocates, who are awaiting the park’s final assessment of a plan to permanently limit access to a place on many outdoor lovers’ bucket lists.

The park is weighing the hike’s incredible popularity — one of the busiest of any trail in the National Park’s federally designated wilderness areas — against the protections from the intrusion of man in wild areas. One option under consideration is removing the cables that assist climbers up and down the steep granite.
Re: Half Dome Cables Added as an Historic Site
September 12, 2012 09:53AM
The disappointing part of this is that the National Register did not go ahead and include the Curry Pizza Deck to the list as well.

It is with great shame that I admit I was in Yosemite last week and failed to partake of the wonderful pizza. My only excuse is that I never entered the Valley.

SaveCurryPizza
September 12, 2012 12:48PM
chicagocwright
The disappointing part of this is that the National Register did not go ahead and include the Curry Pizza Deck to the list as well.

It is with great shame that I admit I was in Yosemite last week and failed to partake of the wonderful pizza. My only excuse is that I never entered the Valley.

SaveCurryPizza

That's no excuse. I drive from SanDiego twice a year for Curry pizza. I end up staying and doing other stuff but im there for the pizza
September 12, 2012 02:06PM
ryanmj
chicagocwright

SaveCurryPizza

That's no excuse. I drive from SanDiego twice a year for Curry pizza. I end up staying and doing other stuff but im there for the pizza

I truly am ashamed. I can only blame a portion of this debacle on my lingering dementia caused by altitude sickness the day before.
September 12, 2012 02:28PM
There is nothing like Curry deck pizza after any epic in the park. That is what has got me through some miserable times!
September 12, 2012 02:38PM
Wickett
There is nothing like Curry deck pizza after any epic in the park. That is what has got me through some miserable times!

I remember one of those pizzas very well!
avatar Re: Half Dome Cables Added as an Historic Site
September 18, 2012 03:55PM
chicagocwright

Wow, a deck made out of pizzas.
September 18, 2012 07:56PM
Okay, so I have to ask, is that pizza really that good? I'm just wonderig cuz everthing else I've had in the valley has been sub-par...
September 18, 2012 08:59PM
oakroscoe
Okay, so I have to ask, is that pizza really that good? I'm just wonderig cuz everthing else I've had in the valley has been sub-par...

YES!

Bowing to his greatness
September 18, 2012 10:12PM
Personally, my family likes the pizza at the Loft at Degnan's better but they are not opened to the public all year round.
September 18, 2012 11:54PM
Agree. The pizza at Degnan's Loft is better than the one offered at Curry. But neither of them I would consider an excellent pizza. And while I think both places do produce good to very good pizzas, I definitely have had better pizzas at many other places.

I think Curry gets very high marks from some people because they dine at the Curry Pizza Deck after a long day of strenuous hiking. After burning calories all day long, even a baked frozen Stouffer's pizza would taste great to many people.

It's the same reason why many people inexplicably think the rather mediocre hot dogs from the Tuolumne Meadows Grill taste great too.

September 19, 2012 12:02AM
Just as in politics, there are many naysayers of the great things in Yosemite. Some argue that the Half Dome hike is overrated and crowded. Others compare the wonderful pizza at Curry Pizza Deck to the inferior pizza at other places in the Park. Other extremists even insult the quality of the great Curry establishment. Please don't be fooled by these naysayers. Half Dome and the Curry Pizza Deck are part of what our National Parks are all about. Anyone who experiences them will forever be amazed.

SaveCurryPizzaDeck
September 19, 2012 12:10AM
And some people just lavish praise on the Curry Pizza Deck pizza only because they haven't yet experienced the greater pleasure of eating a Degnan's Loft pizza. Once one tries a Degnan's Loft pizza, one will never want to go back to eating an ordinary Curry pizza again.

September 27, 2012 01:38AM
plawrence
. . .
I think Curry gets very high marks from some people because they dine at the Curry Pizza Deck after a long day of strenuous hiking. . . .
It's the same reason why many people inexplicably think the rather mediocre hot dogs from the Tuolumne Meadows Grill taste great too.

smiling smiley

Now you've got me thinking. ..

One of the best hot dogs I've ever had was a Nathan's Hot dog from the snack bar at Happy Isles after a 5 day backpacking trip.
I'm going to miss that stand if they close it like I read somewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login