Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Current Water Situation - LYV and Surrounding Area

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Current Water Situation - LYV and Surrounding Area
September 18, 2012 10:07AM
We have a backcountry permit for Happy Isles to Illilouette starting next Thursday (9/27). Our general planned route is as follows:

Day 1 - Happy Isles to Illilouette Creek (somewhere within permit guidelines)
Day 2 - Back towards Panorama Point, Nevada Falls, LYV, and hopefully beyond towards Bunnell Cascade. If we don't think we can make it beyond LYV sufficient distance to meet regs, we will stop at LYV.
Day 3 - Echo Valley and around to JMT/Clouds Rest trail junction, stopping near Sunrise Creek.
Day 4 - Clouds Rest loop stopping at JMT (looks like water source would be Sunrise Creek again).
Day 5 - Back down to Happy Isles.

Does anyone have recent information on the availability of filterable water along our route? We will definitely be discussing this question with the rangers when we pick up our permit, but I'm curious as to what others have found in recent outings.

Many thanks!
avatar Re: Current Water Situation - LYV and Surrounding Area
September 18, 2012 11:27AM
Haven't been in that area since ... um April I think.
But without question Illilouette Creek, all along Merced, and
CR/JMT trail junction (Sunrise Creek) all will have plenty o water.
They always do. Year round.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Current Water Situation - LYV and Surrounding Area
September 18, 2012 11:35AM
Thanks...that's definitely re-assuring. I knew they were generally considered perennial water sources but was concerned due to the somewhat extreme conditions this year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login