All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Trip report - August Backpack (part 1) - TM loop
October 01, 2012 02:26PM
Sorry for the way late trip report but have been a bit busy with work and additional travel (Glacier NP and Appalachicola fishing trip)

We had 3 folks coming from two cities with 4 total flights. You guys all weighed in on how long it would take us to get to the permit station at BOF. We also got some sage advice to have a back-up plan.
Behold the second leg out of Chicago had a series of 8am storms that delayed us 2 hours. Our 11am arrival at San Jose turned into 1pm. The rental car company got us going quickly and we departed SJC at precisely 130pm. With no traffic problems and a 20 minute stop at In/Out we dashed into the permit office at 4:55 pm. Transit was 3:05 minutes direct.

So our intial plan had us hiking to Catherdral the first night (Thursday). Given our late arrival we amended the plan and pitch camp in TM backpacker campground. Given our rookie-ness at back packing this worked well as we leisurely got kinks worked out before we hit the back country. The ranger gave a nice fireside talk on owls and we racked at dark (late for East Coasters)

Friday morning we were up early and headed out to what was going to be an interesting and long day.

Our plan was to camp just below Cloud's rest. After enjoying the trek to Cathedral and then on to Sunrise, we met some folks who informed us that CR and Sunrise were parched. Streambeds were dried up and little water was to be had past SR Lakes and in fact SR HSC was having water mule'd in.

After getting some pack weight experience and wisdom, we calculated the safe water load required given the possibility of no streams for a full day with 10+ miles of hiking and cooking, we decided to head toward Merced for Friday night. We did find water several miles into the SR to Merced trail and happily filled our bottles and camelbacks. And then it started to rain. 4 hours later we knew our rain gear worked well and we stumbled into Merced at about 6pm after a very long first day. Welcome to back packing.

Re: Trip report - August Backpack (part 1) - TM loop
October 01, 2012 08:11PM
Note the open bear canister at Merced Lake. Not approved technique, You are either supposed have that thing closed, or be holding it in your hand...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Trip report - August Backpack (part 1) - TM loop
October 01, 2012 09:36PM
I'm impressed that you flew into SJC at 1 and actually got on your way w/ a rental at 1:30! At SFO 30 minutes is often not enough time for luggage to surface from the system (though I assume the early arrivals got the car and the later ones were only waiting for camping gear to be disgorged).
Re: Trip report - August Backpack (part 1) - TM loop
October 01, 2012 10:00PM
Curious to know how much your tent weighed.
October 02, 2012 12:03PM
Daniel and I shared a 3 man tent. 6.2 lbs if I remember right. We split the load. Matt already had a 2 man and it was 3.5 ish.
October 02, 2012 12:02PM
Son 1 arrived Noon had no luggage and waited. Son 2 and I arrived (walked off plane) with three checked bags at 1pm. Boys waited on the bags and I hoofed it quickly over to the 8th floor. Had no wait at the National counter (3 folks ended up waiting behind me). Boys had luggage and we're waiting for me to drive up with the car. Pulled out of the garage at 1:30 on the dot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login