Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tent Cabins?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tent Cabins?
October 06, 2012 07:00AM
Hi, first timer to Yosemite.
We're going to be staying in the unheated tent cabins at Curry Village. I've been watching the weather forecasts (which is another matter I'd like to discuss) and find myself wondering if they're generous with the blankets in this place?
October 06, 2012 07:17AM
I have sent many a night in the unheated tent cabins when it is a lot colder than it is this month and the wool blankets they provide is enough. However here is a link to the DNC website that suggests you bring some:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/curry-village-cabins.aspx

From website:
Be sure to remember a flashlight or headlamp to find your way around Camp Curry at night. In addition, bug repellent, sunscreen and an extra blanket can help make your stay at our Yosemite cabins more comfortable.
October 06, 2012 08:11AM
hmmm. Is there anywhere that I can rent additional blankets?
October 06, 2012 08:25AM
More info from Delaware Company website:

Most of the tents are not heated and are provided with blankets as mentioned above. A limited number of additional blankets are available at the front desk and can be requested at check-in. Should you be concerned about keeping warm enough, bringing your own sleeping bag is encouraged.

We have rented sleeping bags for people that have gone camping with us that didn't have bags. REI sporting goods rents bags and there is an REI in Fresno if you are going through Fresno on way to Yosemite.
October 06, 2012 08:27PM
Sounds like you maybe coming in on a plane, or some other reason you cannot bring your own blankets/sleeping bags? We have stayed in the unheated tents in Dec and we brought our own electric blanket, yes, they tell you there is no electricity, but there is a hanging light bulb. Go to the hardware store and get a light bulb socket with two outlets that you can screw into the bulb outlet, giving you the ability to charge cell phones, camera batteries, etc.
October 06, 2012 10:39PM
When we used to stay in the cabins that were behind the Lodge we had one of those light bulb socket adapters and they worked well. I would also suggest taking an extension cord to plug into it just in case your charging cords are short.
October 07, 2012 04:03PM
parklover
When we used to stay in the cabins that were behind the Lodge we had one of those light bulb socket adapters and they worked well. I would also suggest taking an extension cord to plug into it just in case your charging cords are short.
Right, an extension cord and a power strip are good ideas.
October 07, 2012 08:54PM
hotrod4x5
parklover

Right. Just remember that the lightbulb socket extenders have two prong outlets, and most power strips are three prong. If you use a two prong extension cord, some laptop cords won't fit, since they have three prong plugs. Lay it all out at home before you go....

Also remember that the pull cord in the cabin will turn off the outlets, too. Be sure to use the pull cord on the extender, which turns off only the bulb.

Electric blankets are fine, but a space heater would blow the fuse.

Have fun.
October 07, 2012 09:21PM
wherever
hotrod4x5
parklover

Right. Just remember that the lightbulb socket extenders have two prong outlets, and most power strips are three prong. If you use a two prong extension cord, some laptop cords won't fit, since they have three prong plugs. Lay it all out at home before you go....

Also remember that the pull cord in the cabin will turn off the outlets, too. Be sure to use the pull cord on the extender, which turns off only the bulb.

Have fun.

You are right, I used an adapter from 3 to 2 prong. We did use a small space heater and didn't blow the fuse. I think it was 1000 watts max.
October 08, 2012 10:35AM
hotrod4x5
wherever
hotrod4x5
parklover

Have fun.

You are right, I used an adapter from 3 to 2 prong. We did use a small space heater and didn't blow the fuse. I think it was 1000 watts max.

That would draw 8.33 Amps and on what is probably a 15-Amp circuit.
October 07, 2012 07:47AM
Thr front desk has always provided us with additional blankets when needed.
October 14, 2012 05:11PM
Paris92

The one time we stayed there (never again!) they ran out, which caused a few folks some anguish.

("Never again!" is not because of the blankets; it's just really not our kind of thing. The only reason we did it was to be handy for Half Dome, and in the end I made a late start due to snow, so we could have come in from somewhere more comfortable.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 05:11PM by Royalist.
October 14, 2012 11:37PM
Royalist
Paris92

The one time we stayed there (never again!) they ran out, which caused a few folks some anguish.

("Never again!" is not because of the blankets; it's just really not our kind of thing. The only reason we did it was to be handy for Half Dome, and in the end I made a late start due to snow, so we could have come in from somewhere more comfortable.)

Curry Village's standard rooms and cabins with baths are more comfortable than their tent cabins without sacrificing the convince of Curry's location.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login