All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Campgrounds East of Tioga Pass Still Open?
October 17, 2012 09:24PM
Hi all,

As the thread title suggest, I'm wondering if the campgrounds east of Tioga pass are still open? I'm specifically thinking of the Tioga Lake, Saddlebag Lake, Ellery Lake and Sawmill campgrounds, although I would appreciate information on any campground in the region. If my memory serves me right (it might not), they usually stay open longer than those on Tioga road.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated (as always),
Ben
avatar Re: Campgrounds East of Tioga Pass Still Open?
October 18, 2012 01:12AM
Saddlebag Lake, Ellery Lake, Sawmill and Tioga are all closed.

For current status see: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5136881
Re: Campgrounds East of Tioga Pass Still Open?
October 18, 2012 02:06PM
Thanks for the great link, although it seems somewhat updated (which does not bode well for me).

That messes up with my week-end plans... Isn't it possible to still camp in the Sawmill campground though? Since it is a walk-in campground, it doesn't seem like they can actually close it. Perhaps there is no host and no one will collect money for the campsite, but it seems people should still be able to walk-in the campground. The other campgrounds are different though in that you would have to drive past a closed gate (I guess you could also walk to a campground).

Is Saddlebag Lake still accessible, or do they close the road before the snow comes?

Am I the only one looking to (or foolish enough to) go camping in mid-October? What would be other solutions for me, in order to camp as close to Tioga Pass as possible?
October 18, 2012 02:28PM
Mono vista RV park in Lee Vining might still be open, they have tent sites.
October 18, 2012 03:07PM
Until the pass closes that is likely to be next Tuesday, you can always drive up there during the day while tenting at the Lower Lee Vining Campground on eeeeeeeeeeeeek's link. Probably more pleasant so late in the season lower down anyway. Else there are vast areas lower down in the Mono Lake area one can disperse camp at without facilities for free.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 03:08PM by DavidSenesac.
avatar Re: Campgrounds East of Tioga Pass Still Open?
October 19, 2012 07:43AM
Yep, head out 120 towards Benton and turn down pretty much any dirt road and you'll find a dispersed campsite. I have a couple of favorites out there and very rarely use campgrounds on the east side (pretty much only Horton Creek).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login