Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: The smaller things to appreciate about Yosemite....

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

The smaller things to appreciate about Yosemite....
November 09, 2012 07:31AM
I'm one of those people who, for the last 30 secs to a minute or so, likes to turn the hot water completely off in the shower, leaving only the cold. It's a nice, bracing way to start the day.

However, living in Hollywood, Los Angeles, 'cold' is often just south of warm.

When showering at the Camp Curry Showers, esp. in fall/winter (or at the Best Western in Bishop, etc...) cold means COOOOOOOLD and gets the day off in the most wakie-uppiest, Greenlandian sort of way.

Love that. But I'm also one of those weirdos that bathes in high Sierra backcountry snowmelt streams/lakes, as well.

What little, unextraordinary things do you like about the park (or it's environs)?
avatar Re: The smaller things to appreciate about Yosemite....
November 09, 2012 08:28AM
I've had to take a bath in a stream that was about an inch deep and 6 inches wide. That water was cold too.How the Chick-on travels
November 09, 2012 08:55AM
Dave
I've had to take a bath in a stream that was about an inch deep and 6 inches wide. That water was cold too.How the Chick-on travels

Yes, I've noticed that, psychologically at least, it's MUCH harder to bear cold water when it's only parts of one's body in contact with it.

I find full submersion somehow easier (and more pleasant) than dipping by butt in a small stream.
November 09, 2012 08:44AM
Pinecones, spirals and Fibonacci numbers
Vi Hart Math Doodles
November 09, 2012 10:56AM
Ah yes...

That reminds me:
- The shortest distance betwixt two points is: too tents

(in answer to the question at hand though... everything about the park is extraordinary)
tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 09, 2012 01:42PM
chick-on

- The shortest distance betwixt two points is: too tents

Growing up, I knew I was completely screwed when I asked my Dad "How much farther to go" and he replied "a few more minutes" or "a few more switchbacks". To this day I still think that the word "few" indicates a numerical place somewhere between a gazillion and infinity. And, keeping with tradition, I abused my kids with that word as well. But that's all old school now....my new "go-to" when asked how far is..."Two Tents". I found those two simple words to be much more demoralizing.

Back on point...another small thing to appreciate in Yosemite is getting to the last switchback wink
November 09, 2012 05:34PM
Trail mileage signs.
Survey markers.
Half Dome/Clouds Rest junction.
Anyplace with a pipe railing. (Taft Pt., etc)
Some park pickups have a simple drawing of Half Dome on the doors.
Cairns.
Kings chair.
Seemingly housebroken wildlife.
November 09, 2012 09:00PM
Little pieces of meat that have fallen off a piece of pizza at Curry Pizza Deck!

SaveCurryPizzaDeck
November 10, 2012 06:29AM
Being able to refill your beer glass with soda at Degnan's Loft while enjoying the best pizza in Yosemite.
November 10, 2012 07:10AM
At the end of a long hot day of hiking in the back country and finding a quiet section of lake or stream, dipping my pack towel in the cold water and placing it on my face, refreshing me with the surprise of the cold water and suddenly I'm a new person. I look at the mountains, the flowers, feel the breeze on my skin and the "energy flows through me" just like John Muir said. It's a wonderful part of the day!
November 11, 2012 03:25PM
hotrod4x5
Being able to refill your beer glass with soda at Degnan's Loft while enjoying the second best pizza in Yosemite.
fixed
February 01, 2013 04:36PM
hotrod4x5
Being able to refill your beer glass with soda at Degnan's Loft while enjoying the best pizza in Yosemite.

But you don't get the ambiance with that pizza:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-DSC_3845.JPG.html
February 02, 2013 12:31AM
eeek

Bowing to his greatness Bowing to his greatness Bowing to his greatness
November 10, 2012 11:28AM
chicagocwright
Little pieces of meat that have fallen off a piece of pizza at Curry Pizza Deck!

That even the bears won't eat!
November 09, 2012 11:19PM
tanngrisnir3

What little, unextraordinary things do you like about the park (or it's environs)?

The scent of the air.

The sound of the waterfalls at night in the spring.

(The rumbling sounds of the waterfalls are to my ears very similar the rumbling sounds of the Bayshore Freeway that I can clearly hear at night where I live. So now every time I noticed the rumbling sounds of the Bayshore Freeway, it reminds me of Yosemite in the spring. wink )
November 10, 2012 01:23AM
The birds Chick-on is looking at you! in the valley singing their wonderful songs and the bark of the Ponderosa Pine.
November 11, 2012 01:51PM
November 11, 2012 04:38PM
chick-on
smiling smiley

Is that a piece of the zinger that you dropped?
November 11, 2012 04:47PM
Just knowing there is a place on the planet I will never stop wanting to go back to, ever. That alone brings me comfort.
November 12, 2012 12:29AM
tomdisco
Just knowing there is a place on the planet I will never stop wanting to go back to, ever. That alone brings me comfort.

For me, that is the understatement of the year, although I have not been in my beloved Yosemite for a number of years. As for cold water, I always thought that Yosemite had the coldest water imaginable - until I moved to Yellowstone. One day at Bridge Bay Marina on the north shore of Yellowstone Lake, my district ranger stated, "If you tried to swim 100 yards in this lake, you would never make it." I believed the man then, but I learned from the experience of others just how deadly the Yellowstone waterways are.
November 12, 2012 09:56AM
Several years ago in early July I thought of swimming in Shoshone Lake, waded out trying to get used to the water, and realized there was no chance.

A later year, in late July, I went swimming in Heart Lake and had a great time.
February 03, 2013 02:57PM
I guess there must be a lot of folks whose mind and body often wanders to Yosemite and craves to actually be there -- to see the sights, breathe the air, feel the freedom, hear the sounds (particularly of running water from the river that is often within earshot), and smell the strong scent of pine, and to just feel that feeling that exists there and not really anywhere else. I often feel these things and more, and for a bit become again obsessed and long to be in this place that is so far away. I've even thought, "Why don't I just move there?" <laughing>. Then I begin to wonder if it is some mental disturbance. It's nice to know I have a lot of company in my mental state.
February 03, 2013 03:57PM
I suffer from a chronic case of "Yosemiteitis". While leaving, I am thinking of the next time.
November 12, 2012 07:54AM
Bearproof
Is that a piece of the zinger that you dropped?

It's a bouquet of flowas you get after all the whine (and cheese).
(similar to the violin the concerto will be played on)

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 12, 2012 10:47AM
Moon rise over Half Dome
Moonbow at midnight
Sitting in a meadow, looking at the view.
That specific smell that only Yosemite has.
The place that I think of as my second home.
November 12, 2012 11:53AM
Water running under the ice.

November 12, 2012 12:43PM
parklover

Moon rise over Half Dome
Moonbow at midnight

I also love looking at the cliffs at night when they're illuminated by a full moon.

In regards to the smell of Yosemite, I guess I'm very lucky that on certain days, usually after a rain shower, the scent of my neighborhood is very similar to Yosemite's.

November 12, 2012 02:37PM
plawrence
parklover

Moon rise over Half Dome
Moonbow at midnight

I also love looking at the cliffs at night when they're illuminated by a full moon.

In regards to the smell of Yosemite, I guess I'm very lucky that on certain days, usually after a rain shower, the scent of my neighborhood is very similar to Yosemite's.

I agree about looking at the cliffs when they are like that. If we are there at full moon I like to walk the bike path around the valley without a flashlight. On a clear night it is so bright that you don't need one.

You are lucky that you have a similar smell in your neighborhood. If only there was a way to can the Yosemite smell so you could take it home with you.
November 12, 2012 04:00PM
I love walking in the valley when it is snowing. It is so still and quiet, you can't hear anything really. Hardly anyone is around, I feel I have the valley to myself for just a little while. Really peaceful.
November 12, 2012 06:23PM
ahhh

memories of winter camping at camp 4, being the only person in the campground, and some of the views possible

Merced River downstream from Clark Bridge during winter storm
November 13, 2012 08:43PM
Swimming in mountain lakes.
November 14, 2012 09:25AM
Dogwoods and granite
February 01, 2013 04:44PM
"ELLLLLLMERRRRRRR!!!!!!"
February 01, 2013 05:47PM
Drinking the water (high country from a spring is best but even out of the tap)
February 02, 2013 07:31PM
I first heard Ellllllllllllmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in Upper Pines at least 10 years ago. Are they still doing it?
February 02, 2013 10:09PM
Yes (in Lower Pines, anyway). And I've started responding with, "WHAA-AT?" That seems to take the wind out of their sails, some of the time anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login