All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Chowchilla Mountain Road Closed for the Season
November 12, 2012 01:09PM
Due to recent weather and road conditions, the Chowchilla Mountain Road will be closed and inaccessible for the season from the park boundary to the Wawona Golf Course. The closure will be in effect as of Thursday morning, November 15.
Re: Chowchilla Mountain Road Closed for the Season
November 17, 2012 11:49PM
I should have commented on this a bit earlier. I used to work with a man whose family has been in Yosemite for 5-6 generations since 1855. His grandfather and great-grandfather drove stagecoaches for the Washburn family and his grandfather was robbed at least once. The grandfather successfully hid a bag of money from the stage robber and there are two versions as to who owned the money. I believe I have seen one version in print about the money being the payroll for a lumber company, but my friend said his grandfather claimed it was from one of two or three houses of ill repute that were located at the crossing of Big Creek on Chowchilla Mountain Road. I believe one of the establishments was named "Tipperary," and they served the loggers operating in the area. I haven't been over Chowchilla Mountain Road in years, but I always enjoyed the area and I think of that "payroll money."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login