Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Petroglyphs stolen near Bishop

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Petroglyphs stolen near Bishop
November 19, 2012 12:30PM
BISHOP, Calif. — Ancient hunters and gatherers etched vivid petroglyphs on cliffs in the Eastern Sierra that withstood winds, flash floods and earthquakes for more than 3,500 years. Thieves needed only a few hours to cut them down and haul them away.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-petroglyphs-theft-20121119%2c0%2c6886011.story
avatar Re: Petroglyphs stolen near Bishop
November 19, 2012 01:05PM
This is simply unbelievable and disgusting. People who decide to do things like this are the lowest forms of human life, IMHO.

November 19, 2012 05:31PM
How horrible. I love going to see petroglyphs. In fact, my cell phone wallpaper is a section of a petroglyph in Dinosaur National Monument. My thoughts go out to the Paiute-Shoshone tribal members whose religious site has been desecrated.
November 19, 2012 07:19PM
I can't really tell by the articles I've read, but are these the ones off of Casa Diablo Rd., or the ones of Fish Slough Rd?

Sounds more like Fish Slough, but I can't be sure.
November 20, 2012 09:56AM
I'd be happy to chip in for a bigger reward for information leading to an arrest. This had to have been more than a one man operation, and it's not unheard for accomplices in this type of thing to have sudden pangs of regret.
November 20, 2012 07:51PM
bbb
I'd be happy to chip in for a bigger reward for information leading to an arrest. This had to have been more than a one man operation, and it's not unheard for accomplices in this type of thing to have sudden pangs of regret.

I think I would donate some funding as well if the BLM took donations for a special reward fund.
November 20, 2012 09:44PM
I will speculate those cutting out the rock also are copper thieves down in the Los Angeles urban area. And they are low skilled little educated laborers working when they can in construction sometimes sawing pavement and concrete otherwise are into burglaries. That they and their gang visited the Eastern Sierra maybe going up to Mammoth maybe car camping, certainly drinking at all hours, trying to hatch ways they could rip something off. So drove around the Owens Valley looking for unguarded stuff they might do their deeds to. Probably read about the petroglyphs and figured that area was sure to usually be empty for miles during some periods of off season weekends. So drove out there and found the spot and made plans. But what misguided urban simpleton morons they are to think they are going to be able to make any money off such. Much like urban copper thieves that rip out wires from public utility boxes that net them a couple hundred bucks while doing $10,000 worth of infrastructure damage.

If they are caught, they ought to be given hammers then spend a year breaking down boulders into little rocks. Instead the measely penalty is just a year in jail where they will probably enjoy the time learning bad ass mannerisms of hard core convicts. Oh there is a fine too but they probably own little as whatever they make probably goes into drink, drugs, guns, and sleaze.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2012 09:50PM by DavidSenesac.
November 21, 2012 05:31AM
DavidSenesac
I will speculate those cutting out the rock also are copper thieves down in the Los Angeles urban area. And they are low skilled little educated laborers working when they can in construction sometimes sawing pavement and concrete otherwise are into burglaries. That they and their gang visited the Eastern Sierra maybe going up to Mammoth maybe car camping, certainly drinking at all hours, trying to hatch ways they could rip something off. So drove around the Owens Valley looking for unguarded stuff they might do their deeds to. Probably read about the petroglyphs and figured that area was sure to usually be empty for miles during some periods of off season weekends. So drove out there and found the spot and made plans. But what misguided urban simpleton morons they are to think they are going to be able to make any money off such. Much like urban copper thieves that rip out wires from public utility boxes that net them a couple hundred bucks while doing $10,000 worth of infrastructure damage.

If they are caught, they ought to be given hammers then spend a year breaking down boulders into little rocks. Instead the measely penalty is just a year in jail where they will probably enjoy the time learning bad ass mannerisms of hard core convicts. Oh there is a fine too but they probably own little as whatever they make probably goes into drink, drugs, guns, and sleaze.

Objection: assumes facts not in evidence.
November 21, 2012 06:18AM
That is incorrect. I assumed NO facts other than the criminal act occurred. That is why trying to get into the mind of why some group might do something like that, I prefaced my post with:

I will speculate

Thus it is pure speculation as one possibility. Such is what law enforcement does every day trying to figure out why criminal acts occur.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 06:19AM by DavidSenesac.
November 21, 2012 08:00AM
DavidSenesac
That is incorrect. I assumed NO facts other than the criminal act occurred. That is why trying to get into the mind of why some group might do something like that, I prefaced my post with:

I will speculate

Thus it is pure speculation as one possibility. Such is what law enforcement does every day trying to figure out why criminal acts occur.

A. Facepalm
B. "Speculate" and "assume" are synonyms, so yes, you assumed facts not in evidence. No currently available data whatosever supports your statements.
C. You might just as well have said it was committed by giant space weasels directed by mind control waves from a Paraguay Freemason cell. There is an equal amount of evidence supporting that 'speculation' as well.
D. I'm quite intimately familiar with law enforcement investigations. They are based on available facts and evidence, not wild speculation.
November 21, 2012 08:42AM
tanngrisnir3
DavidSenesac

I will speculate

A. Facepalm
B. "Speculate" and "assume" are synonyms, so yes, you assumed facts not in evidence. No currently available data whatosever supports your statements.
C. You might just as well have said it was committed by giant space weasels directed by mind control waves from a Paraguay Freemason cell. There is an equal amount of evidence supporting that 'speculation' as well.
D. I'm quite intimately familiar with law enforcement investigations. They are based on available facts and evidence, not wild speculation.

Quite an incorrect connection between two terms most people including dictionaries would not make?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/speculate

Definition of SPECULATE

intransitive verb
1.a: to meditate on or ponder a subject : reflect
b: to review something idly or casually and often inconclusively transitive verb
1: to take to be true on the basis of insufficient evidence : theorize
2: to be curious or doubtful about : wonder <speculates whether it will rain all vacation>

Definition of ASSUME

5: to take as granted or true : suppose <I assume he'll be there>
-------------

Just to be clear since you seem to be confused. I as a quite public person using my real name and not some pseudonym, on many sites including this board since the earliest days of the Internet, make considerable use of that relative term on the web and have been doing so for years, which you can readily search on, particularly on serious debate sites. It is meant to be interpreted just as the above definition reads.

In other words in this case there are many possibilities as to the nature of a group that might have purpetrated the crime. My input is one possibility built on the simple incomplete evidence known currently. It is NOT something I believe to be true or expect any else to, but rather a reflective starting point of what may be the case and I think a rather good one. If there is something specific you want to comment on with my speculation please do as I am curious as to what it is you obviously have issue with? Or are you suggesting the notion of any speculation posted on a community board of enthusiasts where people are wondering why, is an ethical issue until all facts are known? If so that would also be misplaced as a confusion between stating something as true versus wondering what possibility out of several may be.

Much like when an irrational urban climber burned downed the White Mountain Bristlecon Pine Visitor Center, members on a number of boards you can easily search on, SPECULATED, on possible scenarios and people that might have had reason to do so. Eventually it was found the same person had been vandalizing and burglarizing vehicles at trailheads.

November 21, 2012 09:14AM
DavidSenesac
tanngrisnir3
DavidSenesac

I will speculate

A. Facepalm

Quite an incorrect connection between two terms most people including dictionaries would not make?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/speculate

Definition of SPECULATE

intransitive verb
1.a: to meditate on or ponder a subject : reflect
b: to review something idly or casually and often inconclusively transitive verb
1: to take to be true on the basis of insufficient evidence : theorize
2: to be curious or doubtful about : wonder <speculates whether it will rain all vacation>

Definition of ASSUME

5: to take as granted or true : suppose <I assume he'll be there>

Ah, perhaps you've never heard of the word 'synonym'. That could be where your cognitive dissonance is coming from.

synonym

syn·o·nym
   [sin-uh-nim] Show IPA
noun
1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as happy, joyful, elated. A dictionary of synonyms and antonyms (or opposites), such as Thesaurus.com, is called a thesaurus.
2. a word or expression accepted as another name for something, as Arcadia for pastoral simplicity or Wall Street for U.S. financial markets; metonym.
3. Biology . one of two or more scientific names applied to a single taxon.

In this case the cognitive divide between assume and speculate is a distinction w/out a difference. In order for your 'speculation' to even exist, it must assume certain things. In this case, facts not in evidence.

Just to be clear since you seem to be confused. I as a quite public person using my real name and not some pseudonym, on many sites including this board since the earliest days of the Internet, make considerable use of that relative term on the web and have been doing so for years, which you can readily search on, particularly on serious debate sites. It is meant to be interpreted just as the above definition reads.

No, I'm not confused at all. You being a public person is irrelevant to this matter. As is your use of your real name. As is how long you've been on the Internet. As is how long you've been using the term 'speculate'.

In other words in this case there are many possibilities as to the nature of a group that might have purpetrated the crime. My input is one possibility built on the simple incomplete evidence known currently. It is NOT something I believe to be true or expect any else to, but rather a reflective starting point of what may be the case and I think a rather good one. If there is something specific you want to comment on with my speculation please do as I am curious as to what it is you obviously have issue with? Or are you suggesting the notion of any speculation posted on a community board of enthusiasts where people are wondering why, is an ethical issue until all facts are known? If so that would also be misplaced as a confusion between stating something as true versus wondering what possibility out of several may be.

No, what I'm suggesting is, quite frankly, that you have zero idea what you're talking about, that your 'speculation' is groundless and serves no purpose other than to be inflammatory, especially given your 'speculated' outcome involving "drink, drugs, guns, and sleaze"

What I have an issue with is empty, breathless 'speculation' that is based in absolutely no available evidence, as I already made clear in a prior post.

Much like when an irrational urban climber burned downed the White Mountain Bristlecon Pine Visitor Center, members on a number of boards you can easily search on, SPECULATED, on possible scenarios and people that might have had reason to do so. Eventually it was found the same person had been vandalizing and burglarizing vehicles at trailheads.

And? That is irrelevant to my comments on your speculation in this matter.
November 26, 2012 09:52AM
tanngrisnir3
DavidSenesac

As a giant space weasel... I am deeply offended
November 25, 2012 08:44PM
DavidSenesac

exactly what I was thinking. Well that or Aliens. Possibly both but definitely one of those 3.
November 25, 2012 09:56PM
ryanmj
DavidSenesac

exactly what I was thinking. Well that or Aliens. Possibly both but definitely one of those 3.

The problem with David's theory is that it presumes too much intelligence and planning on part of the L.A. gangs. They're not familiar with the petroglyphs and I truly doubt they would ever take the time to become so.

Those who took part in this act of vandalism are people who are probably very familiar with the Petroglyphs. Possibly some antiquity relics collector hired someone to get them for their own personal collection.

( On the other hand, maybe it was just a rival Indian tribe who just wanted to desecrate the Paiute's sacred area. The Miwoks, possibly? wink )
November 26, 2012 07:01AM
plawrence
ryanmj
DavidSenesac

The problem with David's theory is that it presumes too much intelligence and planning on part of the L.A. gangs. They're not familiar with the petroglyphs and I truly doubt they would ever take the time to become so.

Those who took part in this act of vandalism are people who are probably very familiar with the Petroglyphs. Possibly some antiquity relics collector hired someone to get them for their own personal collection.

( On the other hand, maybe it was just a rival Indian tribe who just wanted to desecrate the Paiute's sacred area. The Miwoks, possibly? wink )

Hopefully they get caught and the indians give them a fair trial on the reservation
November 26, 2012 08:48AM
plawrence
The problem with that is that you assume he was talking about LA street gangs. Obviously he was using 'gang' in the generic "band of theives." As is always the case with antiquity thefts like this is that they know exactly what they want and who they can sell it to.

It wasn't vandalism but an act of theft. Most likely they did have a buyer lined up or were paid by a private collector.
November 26, 2012 11:04AM
Dave
plawrence

The problem with that is that you assume he was talking about LA street gangs. Obviously he was using 'gang' in the generic "band of theives."

Possibly, by my point was they were from the L.A. area and unfamiliar with the petroglyphs. Here's his original quote (underlines added by me):

DavidSenesac

I will speculate those cutting out the rock also are copper thieves down in the Los Angeles urban area. And they are low skilled little educated laborers working when they can in construction sometimes sawing pavement and concrete otherwise are into burglaries. That they and their gang visited the Eastern Sierra maybe going up to Mammoth maybe car camping, certainly drinking at all hours, trying to hatch ways they could rip something off.

So I'm think he was speculating that it was some sort of criminal gang from the Los Angeles area. Neither him or I were necessarily assuming "street gangs" per se but instead any sort of criminal gang from the Los Angeles metro area.

Dave

It wasn't vandalism but an act of theft. Most likely they did have a buyer lined up or were paid by a private collector.

It was both, a theft and an act of vandalism.

And I agree that they probably had a buyer already lined up, or quite possibly, it was the private collector who instigated this and lined up a crew to commit the theft, very probably some locals who live in the area and already knew exactly where the petroglyphs were located.

November 26, 2012 12:49PM
plawrence
Dave
plawrence

The problem with that is that you assume he was talking about LA street gangs. Obviously he was using 'gang' in the generic "band of theives."

Possibly, by my point was they were from the L.A. area and unfamiliar with the petroglyphs. Here's his original quote (underlines added by me):

DavidSenesac

I will speculate those cutting out the rock also are copper thieves down in the Los Angeles urban area. And they are low skilled little educated laborers working when they can in construction sometimes sawing pavement and concrete otherwise are into burglaries. That they and their gang visited the Eastern Sierra maybe going up to Mammoth maybe car camping, certainly drinking at all hours, trying to hatch ways they could rip something off.

So I'm think he was speculating that it was some sort of criminal gang from the Los Angeles area. Neither him or I were necessarily assuming "street gangs" per se but instead any sort of criminal gang from the Los Angeles metro area.

Dave

It was both, a theft and an act of vandalism.

And I agree that they probably had a buyer already lined up, or quite possibly, it was the private collector who instigated this and lined up a crew to commit the theft, very probably some locals who live in the area and already knew exactly where the petroglyphs were located.

All planned in advance, great. Forget about what I had in mind, which was hoping that these potential buyers will do the honorable thing. Perhaps setup a sting operation with authorities to catch these guys. I guess we'll never be seeing these great works of art again, along with the Eagle Peak marker.
November 20, 2012 11:18PM
When I heard about it I was really feeling sick. This is probably the worst case of vandalism I have ever heard of. It is very rare to find pristine sites and to a certain extent I can forgive the "cowboy & early settler"-graffiti as they probably didn't know any better.
But I have no sympathy whatsoever for the morons who did this and all other morons who've vandalized precious rock art sites throughout the US. A penalty of one year in jail is just ridiculous and doesn't do any justice.

I really feel bad for the local tribes as I only can imagine what this means to them.

I believe it's the Chalfant Petroglyphs that have been vandalized. Certainly those are not the three sites on the Fish Slough Rd or even Sky Rock.

Does anyone have connections to the BLM office?! I would like to donate some money too to increase the reward.
November 21, 2012 01:06AM
Half Dome Hiker
Does anyone have connections to the BLM office?! I would like to donate some money too to increase the reward.

Earlier today I sent an email to the BLM office in Bishop asking if there was any way to donate money for the reward, i'm awaiting their reply.
November 21, 2012 02:29PM
tan3 >>>"Ah, perhaps you've never heard of the word 'synonym'. That could be where your cognitive dissonance is coming from..."

Your obviously emotional reaction betrays meaningful input. From other posts you have made, I expected you would start personal attacks. As has been my ethic and style for years which one can Google on extensively on the web, I don't continue to respond to persons on Internet boards who cannot respond and discuss issues calmly or with considered logic.

I've made my points in simple English I'm confident any other members reading my post here will so understand.

November 21, 2012 04:38PM
DavidSenesac
tan3 >>>"Ah, perhaps you've never heard of the word 'synonym'. That could be where your cognitive dissonance is coming from..."

Your obviously emotional reaction betrays meaningful input. From other posts you have made, I expected you would start personal attacks. As has been my ethic and style for years which one can Google on extensively on the web, I don't continue to respond to persons on Internet boards who cannot respond and discuss issues calmly or with considered logic.

I've made my points in simple English I'm confident any other members reading my post here will so understand.

There's nothing emotional in my response, Dave. It's simply cold observation of the facts. Having been involved in police investigations professionally, as a law enforcement officer, it's clear to me that you have no idea what you're blathering about.

A. Nothing you've 'speculated' on has any grounding in any evidence available, or anything even rational. A gang who steals copper from Los Angeles, on a car camping weekend, up the 395? Who drink at 'all hours'? Who decided to attempt to rob something completely out of their area of expertise, in an area they don't know? With no contacts through whom to fence the goods? Who just stumble upon a back road that lead to historically invaluable relics? And they just happen to have all the right equipment available on said 'car camping weekend'? And what they take isn't immediately able to become liquified into cash, outside of their home territory?

B. In terms of this discussion, no one, including myself, cares a whit for what your style has been 'for years', as it's utterly irrelevant to this matter. Based on your statements here, it begs credulity as to why anyone rational would find any value in googling your attempts at discussion. In terms of this alone, you have zero credibility.

C. You and logic are remain unacquainted. Why try and reference something that you know nothing about?

D. It's profoundly odd that you would create this elaborate, detailed narrative that's not based in any published reports and you cling to it vehemently and inexplicably in the face of a dearth of information about this.
November 21, 2012 11:12PM
What are the bozos going to do with these artifacts, anyway? Can they actually sell them? Since they can't, what's the point of hoarding them in their basements? Or just vandals being vandals for the heck of it? Regardless - if caught, cut off their hands.
November 22, 2012 07:39AM
Ohnivy-Drak

Can they actually sell them? Since they can't, what's the point of hoarding them in their basements? Or just vandals being vandals for the heck of it?

Unfortunately they can. There are many so called "private collectors" who are always interested in stuff like this.

I've seen all kind of vandalism. When you come across cases like this usually they the vandals are trying to sell this stuff. Actually this is not the first case on the Volcanic Tablelands. There's a site on the Fish Slough Rd that has been vandalized before with the saw cut marks clearly visible. Then you have the cases of "practice shooting" with bullet holes all over the places or petroglyphs/pictographs defaced by spray can graffiti. But there are all kind of vandalism, e.g. one of the more accessible sites in Joshua Tree NP where a TV team has "enhanced" the (faded) pictographs so they would look better on TV. Sigh...
November 22, 2012 07:43AM
@DavidSenesac/tanngrisnir3:

Happy Thanksgiving! smiling smiley

I kindly suggest you quit fighting over this.
November 22, 2012 04:51PM
Half Dome Hiker
@DavidSenesac/tanngrisnir3:

Happy Thanksgiving! smiling smiley

I kindly suggest you quit fighting over this.

I second that suggestion.
November 26, 2012 01:23AM
It is a very sad thing to see this happen. The petroglyphs are not only a Paiute treasure, but also a treasure for the whole world.

Chief Tenaya was the founder of the Paiute colony of Ahwanhee - Dr. Lafayette H. Bunnell.
November 26, 2012 03:36PM
well for anyone interested, i emailed the BLM about the possibility of being able to donate. i received this email and have a link to where i am able to donate

BLM
Thank you for your concern regarding theft and defacement of the petroglyph panels north of Bishop. We have had an overwhelming response to this crime. Here is a link to information on how you can donate to the reward fund.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsroom/2012/november/donation_fund_for.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2012 03:39PM by marmot.
November 26, 2012 09:28PM
Thank you for posting the donation information. I hope that the find out who did this.
November 27, 2012 07:41AM
marmot
well for anyone interested, i emailed the BLM about the possibility of being able to donate. i received this email and have a link to where i am able to donate

BLM
Thank you for your concern regarding theft and defacement of the petroglyph panels north of Bishop. We have had an overwhelming response to this crime. Here is a link to information on how you can donate to the reward fund.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsroom/2012/november/donation_fund_for.html

Wow. Thanks for following up on this.
November 30, 2012 09:07AM

Here is one of the stolen petroglyphs. I went out Wednesday to see the damage with my own eyes. Pretty sad.
November 30, 2012 09:11AM
Any word around Bishop about who people suspect stole the petroglyphs?
November 30, 2012 09:14AM
plawrence
Any word around Bishop about who people suspect stole the petroglyphs?

Nope

(BTW three members from the local tribe arrived while I was there to document and bless the sites and they were as equally flabbergasted as I was. Who would do this?)
November 30, 2012 03:35PM
hikerchick395
Here is one of the stolen petroglyphs. I went out Wednesday to see the damage with my own eyes. Pretty sad.

Looks like a professional job too.
November 30, 2012 09:12AM

Abandoned theft attempt...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login