Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Pray for Rain

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Pray for Rain
November 27, 2012 02:09PM
Yes, we've had a few storms, and another one or more is on the way. But we really do need a long wet winter this year. Last year was way below normal, and things are just plain dry.

Take a look at this photo of Donnell Reservoir on the Stanislaus River, and you'll see what we mean.

Dean Martin was right. So was Bing Crosby. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
November 27, 2012 02:39PM
Yes and No!! lol...they've forecasted 6 inches for my region...gulp!!
November 27, 2012 02:42PM
oh wait..I just read another post..it's up to so much more then that...everyone be safe.
November 27, 2012 02:51PM
November 27, 2012 02:51PM
I hope that we have a more participation this winter but not where we get 8 inches in one day. We don't need any floods or mud slides in our area.
November 27, 2012 04:08PM
There are some reservoirs that are simply drained in preclusion of winter so that the dam is
not damaged during the winter months. This is definitely true of Eleanor and Florence.
I don't know if this is the case here. But it's possible since it's a concrete dam. ???
But of course we need some snow regardless.

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 27, 2012 04:20PM
The forecast I saw for Mariposa predicts, for Wednesday and Thursday 5 tenths of an inch, not 5 inches. Another site predicts 0.64 for Wednesday and a few tenths for Thursday.
November 27, 2012 05:40PM
Dave
The forecast I saw for Mariposa predicts, for Wednesday and Thursday 5 tenths of an inch, not 5 inches. Another site predicts 0.64 for Wednesday and a few tenths for Thursday.

NOAA seems to be saying that but on the news tonight (KABC) they said something about 8 to 10 inches in the Sierra.
November 27, 2012 05:52PM
The Sierras are a long chain. The system is coming straight across the state far north of us. The link you gave in the other thread shows a nice map of the expected rainfall. It shows it hitting the hardest between Eureka and Ukiah. I got my rain gauge out. We'll see if NOAA is right or KABC.
November 27, 2012 05:56PM
Dave
The Sierras are a long chain.

That's Sierra not Sierras. <sigh>
November 27, 2012 06:54PM
eeek
Dave
The Sierras are a long chain.
That's Sierra not Sierras. <sigh>
It's not that important for me to worry about. Perfection is an excuse, not a goal.
November 27, 2012 05:53PM
That's probably about right for Mariposa. The big rain will be focused north of Sacramento, especially in the Shasta and Oroville areas where storms 2 and 3 will hang up for awhile. Those looking for snow are going to be disappointed as the snow level is going to be high - 7000 to 8000'. Even though we are in ENSO neutral conditions, these storms are typical of El Nino years with subtropical moisture taps.

The 2011-12 rainfall total was 73% of average here in central Calaveras County, 3rd driest in the last 9 years. With the two previous years coming in at 130% and 150% of average here, it's hard to call one dry year a drought. We'll see what happened this season when May 1 comes around. I'm expecting about 3" of rain here from Wednesday through Sunday, no big deal for this area. I'm more concerned about the winds.
November 27, 2012 09:21PM
Dave

Try adding up the predictions for Tuolumne:

http://classic.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:95389.3.99999
November 28, 2012 07:45AM
eeek
Try adding up the predictions for Tuolumne:

http://classic.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:95389.3.99999

"Chance of precipitation 60% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible." That was for Wednesday. The rest of the week just gets a "chance" of rain.

Same source for today in Mariposa; "Chance of rain 100% with rainfall amounts near 0.4 in. possible." Another 0.4 is predicted for Friday.

Over 100 inches of snow is expected for Shasta.
November 28, 2012 07:55AM
For Mariposa according to Accuweather:

Wed - 0.6
Thur - 0.1
Fri - 0.4
Sat - 2.0
Sun - 0.4
November 28, 2012 11:58AM

Let it snow!
November 28, 2012 04:57PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJh1wpIcyRg

Had to post that for the title.

Next trip is planned for a solstice celebration.
November 29, 2012 08:27AM
Weather Underground was more accurate; in Mariposa we got 0.3 inches of rain yesterday. The RAWS on Miami Mountain (between Oakhurst and Mariposa) showed 0.77 of an inch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login