Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Meralgia Paresthetica

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 05, 2012 07:40PM
Has anyone else developed Meralgia Paresthetica (tingling sensation in thigh - no jokes please...) from wearing a backpack too tight? Happened to me two years ago hiking in Yose.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meralgia-paresthetica/DS00914/DSECTION=symptoms

http://www.livestrong.com/article/267443-tingling-in-the-thigh/
avatar Re: Meralgia Paresthetica
December 05, 2012 10:17PM
Have you seen a chiropractor about it? They might be able to cure it by doing some adjustments.

December 06, 2012 07:40PM
plawrence
Have you seen a chiropractor about it? They might be able to cure it by doing some adjustments.

I have and if it sounds like a duck...
December 06, 2012 04:09PM
At least I know what to call it now. Mine started coming down the JMT from Nevada Fall.
December 06, 2012 07:36PM
Don't cinch the straps too tight. Been living with it now for two years. Nerve damage; crimped nerve. Happens to people who wear seats belts too tight also.
December 06, 2012 07:39PM
I've had it for two decades now. Strap tightness doesn't seem to make any difference.
December 06, 2012 09:55PM
Where does that nerve run, and which part of the backpack is likely to pinch it?

The pack I'm using now feels quite comfortable with any reasonable load. On one I used for a while, though, the hip belt didn't have any padding to speak of. I resorted to wearing a square of sheepskin on each hip inside my clothing, wool side toward me. It did the job but it was a bit of a hassle -- to remember, maintain, dry out, etc. Even without the sheepskin the belt didn't feel like it was pinching any nerves, just leaving itchy red spots on my hips that threatened to turn into pressure sores.
December 07, 2012 12:18AM
December 07, 2012 07:26AM
Padding isn't a fix, since it just smashes flat anyway.

Properly fitted pack is hard to figure out - the most adjustable pack I've ever had is an Aarn, I can angle the hip belt any way I please, fine tune it to my body in ways that other packs won't do.
December 07, 2012 06:55PM
I first had it in 2010 doing Kearsarge to Whitney. Paradoxically, it happened using the lightest-loaded internal - frame pack I had ever used. It was my wife's pack, which actually fit me okay except for riding a tiny bit high, but not a problem I thought. Overall pack weight loaded only 33 lbs. I know that is not ultralight by any standard, but instead of luggging 45 lbs with a much wider waist belt, I felt that the problem was the skimpier pack's skimpy waist band, or its higher lying location, not the weight. I never had this happen in years past on real expeditions carrying 75 lbs ( elsewhere)

Symptoms noticeable only at night with dysesthesia ( abnormal sensations like cold/ tingling, water running, and numbness) on my anterior/lateral left thigh. It persisted for 3-4 months ,again mostly noticeable at night when still and quiet. Often had to rub the area in an effort to calm it down.

same thing again in 2011 with exact same route, but much shorter days, taking 6 nights instead of 4 because of leading a slow group. Again took 3-4 months to subside.

same thing in 2012 on Bishop to Kearsarge, but much less so, perhaps 50% better. This time, instead of using my older heavier lower riding pack, or the lighter high- riding one belonging to my wife, I bought a new one -identical model to hers but slightly longer. Now at 4 months symptoms have gone. I apparently keep on re-injuring but re-healing the nerve. How many times I can do this no one knows.

I obviously keep pinching the same area. I am 62, 6'0" and 190 lbs, look the same body physique as 40 years ago, although lots of the former muscle is now not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2012 07:03PM by h_lankford.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login