All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tuolumne Meadows Winter Conditions Updates?
December 11, 2012 07:08PM
With so much snow up in Tuolumne, I assume the rangers are there already? Did the updates start yet?
avatar Re: Tuolumne Meadows Winter Conditions Updates?
December 11, 2012 07:33PM
Just today I saw something from YNP on Facebook saying that they've just arrived and are reporting 1-3 feet of snow, so I'd guess the updates would start soon.
avatar Re: Tuolumne Meadows Winter Conditions Updates?
December 12, 2012 09:04AM
Re: Tuolumne Meadows Winter Conditions Updates?
December 12, 2012 09:08AM
First TM winter conditions update of the season.

Edit: Bearproof beat me to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 09:11AM by KatyAnderson.
avatar Tuolumne Meadows Winter Conditions Updates - December 10, 2012
December 12, 2012 12:41PM
Weather: December 04 through December 10
High temperature: 45°F (December 4th)
Low temperature: 10°F (December 7th )
New Snow: 10 inches
Total settled snow depth: 19 inches as of December 10th

Skiing Conditions and Weather: This is the first weekly update for the winter of 2012-2013. We arrived at Tuolumne Meadows after skiing up the Tioga Road from Lee Vining Canyon on December 3rd. The series of wet storms that came thru last week were warm so there was rain that fell below 9,000 feet, which accounts for a shallower snowpack below this elevation. The snow depth above 9,000 feet is 3 to 5 feet deep, and the snowpack between 8,000-9,000 feet is 1 to 3 feet deep. Coverage is good for skiing above 8,000 feet but due to the rain event and refreezing of the snow surface, the skiing can be challenging at the lower elevations. Above 9,000 feet there is good skiing to be found, especially on north aspects.

Avalanche and Snowpack Conditions: For the latest avalanche advisory for this area go to www.esavalanche.org for the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center and click on advisory. The ESAC site is updated several times a week and more often during weather events.

We are in the process of getting aquainted with the snowpack in this part of the Sierra since our return on December 3rd. We dug a snowpit on an east aspect at 11,000 feet and found several melt freeze crusts. The depth was 130 cm and the snow near the ground looked to be gaining strength.We have not observed signs of instability on our daily patrols, so the snow that fell last week appears to have settled nicely on the old snow. We observed several avalanches on our ski in immediately following the last storm (that ended December 2nd) on the east side of the Sierra Crest. These avalanches were above 11,000 feet and most likely wind slabs deposited by the high winds that accompanied that storm.

Wildlife: The critters of Tuolumne Meadows have kept a low profile this week. Douglas squirrels are still preparing their winter stores and busy on the forest floor. Brown Creepers and the ubiquitous Clark's Nutcrackers are observed daily.

Questions: The Tuolumne Meadows Ski Hut is open for the season. There is an ample supply of firewood and 10 bunks that are available on a first-come, first-served basis.You can call the Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Station at 209 372-0450. If you leave a message we will get back to you first chance we get. Power and phones are frequently out of service, in which case you can call the wilderness permit line at 209 372-0740 with any questions or concerns. Come prepared; don't count on electricity or phone service at the ski hut.

Let it Snow!

View from Gaylor Peak
avatar Re: Tuolumne Meadows Winter Conditions Updates - December 10, 2012
December 12, 2012 04:55PM
Awesome!

eeek
Weather: December 04 through December 10
High temperature: 45°F (December 4th)
Low temperature: 10°F (December 7th )
New Snow: 10 inches
Total settled snow depth: 19 inches as of December 10th

Skiing Conditions and Weather: This is the first weekly update for the winter of 2012-2013. We arrived at Tuolumne Meadows after skiing up the Tioga Road from Lee Vining Canyon on December 3rd. The series of wet storms that came thru last week were warm so there was rain that fell below 9,000 feet, which accounts for a shallower snowpack below this elevation. The snow depth above 9,000 feet is 3 to 5 feet deep, and the snowpack between 8,000-9,000 feet is 1 to 3 feet deep. Coverage is good for skiing above 8,000 feet but due to the rain event and refreezing of the snow surface, the skiing can be challenging at the lower elevations. Above 9,000 feet there is good skiing to be found, especially on north aspects.

Avalanche and Snowpack Conditions: For the latest avalanche advisory for this area go to www.esavalanche.org for the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center and click on advisory. The ESAC site is updated several times a week and more often during weather events.

We are in the process of getting aquainted with the snowpack in this part of the Sierra since our return on December 3rd. We dug a snowpit on an east aspect at 11,000 feet and found several melt freeze crusts. The depth was 130 cm and the snow near the ground looked to be gaining strength.We have not observed signs of instability on our daily patrols, so the snow that fell last week appears to have settled nicely on the old snow. We observed several avalanches on our ski in immediately following the last storm (that ended December 2nd) on the east side of the Sierra Crest. These avalanches were above 11,000 feet and most likely wind slabs deposited by the high winds that accompanied that storm.

Wildlife: The critters of Tuolumne Meadows have kept a low profile this week. Douglas squirrels are still preparing their winter stores and busy on the forest floor. Brown Creepers and the ubiquitous Clark's Nutcrackers are observed daily.

Questions: The Tuolumne Meadows Ski Hut is open for the season. There is an ample supply of firewood and 10 bunks that are available on a first-come, first-served basis.You can call the Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Station at 209 372-0450. If you leave a message we will get back to you first chance we get. Power and phones are frequently out of service, in which case you can call the wilderness permit line at 209 372-0740 with any questions or concerns. Come prepared; don't count on electricity or phone service at the ski hut.

Let it Snow!

View from Gaylor Peak
Re: Is that the view from the ridge below Gaylor Peak?
December 13, 2012 06:28AM
The ridge that I am talking about is the hike from Tioga Road (near the park entrance) to Gaylor Lakes.
The reason that I am asking is that is a pretty good hike up. Although I am not a good cross-country skier, I just can't imagine getting up to that ridge skiing. Or does one hike up, then put on the skis?
avatar Re: Is that the view from the ridge below Gaylor Peak?
December 13, 2012 08:18AM
snorkus
The ridge that I am talking about is the hike from Tioga Road (near the park entrance) to Gaylor Lakes.
The reason that I am asking is that is a pretty good hike up. Although I am not a good cross-country skier, I just can't imagine getting up to that ridge skiing. Or does one hike up, then put on the skis?

With skins on your skis you can go straight up some pretty steep slopes. Some bindings have heel risers to make the climb more comfortable. Snowshoeing up is an option but not used much.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login