Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Need Advice for Eastern Sierras

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Need Advice for Eastern Sierras
December 17, 2012 05:21PM
Hello all,
This forum was very helpful in my planning the family trips to Yosemite in 2005 and 2011. We were able to stay in Tuolumne Meadows in '11 after having missed the opening of Toga Road by one day in 2005. I would like to visit the eastern Sierras in 2013 by staying in Mammoth or the June Lake area. The Ansel Adams Wilderness area looks fantastic, especially places like the Pinnacles. But the family is concerned about the mosquitoes, which were brutal in mid July 2011. I would assume the mosquitoes are about the same on the eastern side as in TM? We are looking at a mid July visit by flying into Tahoe and heading south to the Mammoth area. I realize weather/water is the main factor in how bad they might be, just trying to verify that the eastern Sierras are about the same as TM in terms of the impact of these blood suckers? I'm ready to just get net headgear, but I may be alone on the trip. Thanks for any input or advice for me, and I always keep yosemitenews bookmarked!
avatar Re: Need Advice for Eastern Sierras
December 17, 2012 05:37PM
You can scramble up the side of Minaret Falls (Devils Postpile/Reds Meadow/just west of Mammoth) and all along the falls, which are actually steep cascades, are a series of small pools that hold a gallon maybe. Last summer late July I looked in many and there were wigglers in pretty much every little pool. So yes, bring DEET and/or a net.
December 17, 2012 06:17PM
I would say that 2011 was one of the worst years for skeeters in recent memory..lots of late rain and snow led to a bumper crop of the little guys. You would have found skeeters in Tuolumne Meadows this last summer at the same time, but not nearly as bad. This year I was in Tuolumne in early June and the mosquitos were bad; but in Ansel Adams Wilderness in early July, and through Tuolumne Meadows south on the JMT in late July, and had little to no problem with the skeeters, since last winter was very dry.

The Eastern Sierra will be about the same as Tuolumne in any given year at a similar altitude. How will it be next year in July? We won't really be able to say until we see what the snowpack is this winter.

Perhaps somebody has done a rough correlation between the opening of the Tioga Pass Road and the peak of the mosquito season? Based on the last couple of years the peak seems to be between 1 and 2 months after the road opens.
December 17, 2012 06:35PM
A few years ago (relatively weak but not too bad snow year) I found brutal mosquito conditions in late June/early July in Hoover Wilderness, I suspect due to an unusual amount of June Rain. Generally, I'd expect a snowmelt/mosquito correlation as you say, but there are occasional exceptions.

Anyway, just bring DEET hope you don't use it, and have fun anyway.
December 18, 2012 08:53AM
hondo,

Two questions:

[1] If you are so concerned about mosquitos have you ever considered going to the Sierras in late summer when they significantly diminish?

[2] Flying into Tahoe is expensive unless you have your own plane, in which case it's expensive anyway. Have you considered Reno airport?
December 19, 2012 05:26PM
tomdisco
hondo,

Two questions:

[1] If you are so concerned about mosquitos have you ever considered going to the Sierras in late summer when they significantly diminish?

[2] Flying into Tahoe is expensive unless you have your own plane, in which case it's expensive anyway. Have you considered Reno airport?

Both my wife and I work for the local school district, so early August is about the latest we can travel before our schedules start up again. When retirement finally kicks in in hopefully 5 years or so, late summer / fall will be our prime time to travel!

Planning on flying Southwest, so knowing them, they may be flying into the Reno airport.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 05:27PM by hondo80.
December 18, 2012 09:24AM
Mammoth and especially June Lake do not have the mosquito issues that the high country in Yosemite has. The notable exception is any hike in Reds or Agnew Meadows!!!

The hiking in Mammoth and June Lake also compares favorably to Yosemite, IMO. Great hikes would be:

1. Purple Lake in Mammoth
2. Rush Creek in June Lae
3. Fern and Yost Lakes in June Lake

The mosquitos can be tough at the trailheads in Mammoth but not much of an issue once you start hiking.

In any case, just use 100% Deet and you won't be bothered. Just make sure you shower it off when you get back to the hotel.

2012 has few mosquitos in Yosemite, the less I've ever seen.
December 18, 2012 02:24PM
Some of the worst mosquitoes that I have seen have been at Mammoth's Lake Ediza in July about 7 years ago. They weren't too bad in July a few years ago. Deet usually works great. You can see the mosquitoes following at a safe distance. You can see them stop and stay a few feet back, when you stop walking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login