Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TR: a winter trip up to LYV.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TR: a winter trip up to LYV.
December 28, 2012 09:56AM
I went up to LYV for a week earlier this month. Came down just before the big storm. I originally had big plans to try and go off trail to get on Clark's shoulder, and also maybe see if I could climb Mt. Florence, but I ended up finding every excuse possible to be lazy and just relax at LYV. Both probably would have been out of my league anyway.

3 days into the trip the first storm hit, it snowed just about a foot. While people routinely hiked up the HD/Clouds trail after that, nobody hiked down the Merced. The entire time I was there only 3 other groups stayed at LYV. 3 groups too many IMO, next time I'll go farther east. After the snow only one other group came up to LYV before I headed down, and only for 1 night. Most of the time it felt like I had the entire valley to myself, and the snowshoeing was great. On to the pics:

avatar Re: TR: a winter trip up to LYV.
December 28, 2012 10:26AM
Thanks for sharing all the photos. So pretty with all the snow. Especially loved the nighttime shot with the stars.

December 28, 2012 10:34AM
I took a few more, but that was the best one I think. I had plans to do a lot more, but man it's tough to get the motivation to get out of your warm bag at night, walk somewhere in the dark, and stand around for long exposures. I kept putting it off until finally I just thought "it's really more of a summertime thing."
December 28, 2012 11:37AM
steelcup
I took a few more, but that was the best one I think. I had plans to do a lot more, but man it's tough to get the motivation to get out of your warm bag at night, walk somewhere in the dark, and stand around for long exposures. I kept putting it off until finally I just thought "it's really more of a summertime thing."

Thanks for getting out of the warm sleeping bag! Great pics!
December 28, 2012 09:04PM
Those long nights are a downer, aren't they. I usualy look for 10 hours as a minimum daylight for camping, and even then I appreciate unusually warm nights that make good star watching.

Nice pics, thanks.
December 28, 2012 12:15PM
I plan to do that trip late next month. Weather permitting. :/
December 28, 2012 08:49PM
great photos
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login