Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: New lottery system for Half Dome reservations

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar New lottery system for Half Dome reservations
January 04, 2013 02:40PM
New lottery for Half Dome climb permits
http://blog.sfgate.com/stienstra/2013/01/04/new-lottery-for-half-dome-climb-permits/#9207-4

Yosemite National Park Announces the New Half Dome Trail Stewardship Plan
http://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/index.php/news/mariposa-daily-news-2013/142-january/7289-yosemite-national-park-announces-the-new-half-dome-trail-stewardship-plan-

Half Dome Permits for Day Hikers
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm

We've made some changes to the permit system this year in response to the public input and our own concerns. This year, permits will be distributed by lottery via Recreation.gov. We held a single preseason lottery with an application period in March and will hold daily lotteries during the hiking season.

On each application, people can apply for up to six permits (six people) and for up to seven dates. Applications will only be successful if the number of permits requested is available on at least one of the requested dates. If enough permits are available for more than one of the requested dates, permits will be automatically awarded to the highest priority date, as entered by the applicant. Applicants may apply as the trip leader only once per lottery. Multiple applications with the same trip leader will be removed from the lottery.

The applicant must specify the name of the trip leader and may specify the name of an alternate. Each person may apply as a trip leader only once per lottery. People applying multiple times as trip leader will have all their lottery applications canceled. Permits will only be valid if the trip leader and/or alternate specified on the permit is part of the group using the permits. The group with trip leader or alternate must be present together at the base of the subdome, where rangers will check for permits. The names of the trip leader and alternate may not be changed once the application is submitted, and the permits are not transferable.
avatar Re: New lottery system for Half Dome reservations
January 04, 2013 03:08PM
Now if they could only do something like that with campsites.
January 04, 2013 05:03PM
Here's the video produced by the National Park Service shown on one of the links above on how to hike Half Dome:

January 05, 2013 06:06PM
Thanks for posting the video. What an eye opener! I'll have to cross this one off of my bucket list. I knew it was long and arduous but the video leaves nothing to the imagination.

www.pbase.com/caesar77
January 06, 2013 08:09AM
Acadia,

In November I gave a talk at REI for first time visitors and day hikers to Yosemite. A fair amount of time was devoted to Half Dome and I wish I had had use of that video. I generally describe it as a day hike out of hell best left undone by all but cyborgs. It's really best as part of an overnighter. I ended that portion of the talk by saying, "That ends my very shy and unbiased opinion regarding that rock", which was anything but shy and unbiased. A close look at trail map mileages seem to add up to 16 miles round trip instead of the 14 referred to in the video.
January 06, 2013 01:15PM
tomdisco
Acadia,

In November I gave a talk at REI for first time visitors and day hikers to Yosemite. A fair amount of time was devoted to Half Dome and I wish I had had use of that video. I generally describe it as a day hike out of hell best left undone by all but cyborgs. It's really best as part of an overnighter. I ended that portion of the talk by saying, "That ends my very shy and unbiased opinion regarding that rock", which was anything but shy and unbiased. A close look at trail map mileages seem to add up to 16 miles round trip instead of the 14 referred to in the video.
I thought it was 16 miles as well but then I remembered I went up the JMT instead of the mist trail as the video shows. The JMT is about a mile longer as I recall. For what it's worth, I do not recommend the mist trail if you're doing HD as an overnighter.
January 06, 2013 01:38PM
Tom: Long time supporter of REI. Wish I had known of your visit. I hope it was well attended. If you're ever out this way again please PM me. When I initially read about the hike I figured it to be an overnighter. Though 16 miles is a long day it's the elevation gain that'll tax you. We get out to Yosemite about every 4 years and generally choose hikes with the least elevation gain. Age is getting the better of me. I don't quite know Yosemite like I know the White Mountains of NH but through this wonderful group I wish I were 30 years younger and 2500 miles closer!

www.pbase.com/caesar77
January 06, 2013 02:28PM
In September, I did this hike for the second time, going JMT up and Mist down. Of course, it is
a challenging hike, mainly from subdome on, but don't be overly intimidated. If you can go up
4 Mile Trail or Upper Yosemite Falls, you probably have the physical goodies for Half Dome.

Side note: While ascending in the LYV area, I ingested a pouch of Gatorade Pre-game fuel.
Within about 10 minutes, I felt like I had a rocket up my .....I mean, that stuff WORKED. After
returning home, I asked some nurse friends if I was just imagining it, but they said that some
of those energy drink things do work. Perhaps some other hard core hikers of this forum could
comment about this or other products.

Next big hike, some of that stuff will be in the backpack.
January 06, 2013 03:06PM
That video fails to mention the alternate to the lower Mist Trail portion, taking the JMT. You really can avoid getting wet by going that way almost entirely. There is a small section next to Nevada, if it is roaring, where you could get a little wet, but otherwise, you don't need to worry so much about wet steps.
January 06, 2013 03:34PM
hotrod4x5
That video fails to mention the alternate to the lower Mist Trail portion, taking the JMT. You really can avoid getting wet by going that way almost entirely. There is a small section next to Nevada, if it is roaring, where you could get a little wet, but otherwise, you don't need to worry so much about wet steps.

I went up the lower Mist Trail only once, in a dry season when there was hardly any mist. It took 2 weeks for my knees to recover. I decided to skip the upper Mist Trail and detour to Clark Point instead.

On hot days the drippy stretch along the JMT actually feels good and I hang out under the drips for a while. The first time I went through there I was headed downhill, wearing cotton, and trying to dodge the drips.
January 06, 2013 03:26PM
I've done the Four Mile Trail round trip but I emerged a bit footsore. I think I've found better footwear and innersoles since then, but I'd want to try it all out on the FMT again (roughtly 10miles) or the Panorama up, Four Mile down (roughly 13, I think) before tackling something like Half Dome.

I'm not at all keen on getting stuck on top (or on the cables) with a thunderstorm blowing in. I might very well consider going only as far as I can get without a Half Dome permit, just to see what it's like.

Those sandy trails through the LYV area are something of a drag. Feels like walking on the beach, and I don't mean that in a good way.

I'm used to snacking on trail mix and stuff, especially on long uphills like the FMT, the JMT, and the UYFT. I do tend to find myself running out of energy if I don't take enough snack breaks -- low blood sugar, I'm guessing. My favorite energy food is a Luna Protein Bar. I make a point of eating one when I first start uphill and carrying a few more for later. I like the idea of consuming some protein along with my sugar. The manufacturer says it's "designed for women" but the product doesn't seem to care whose system it's in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 03:37PM by gophersnake.
January 06, 2013 08:57PM
I think I am going to skip half dome this year and try hiking to clouds rest. I haven't been to clouds rest yet; from what I've heard though, it sounds very nice.
January 06, 2013 10:11PM
Consider starting at Tenaya Lake and through hiking to Happy Isles. I have day hiked from Happy Isles via mist trail to Clouds Rest and it was a long day. For me, it was much more manageable starting at Tenaya.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login