All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Hetch Hetchy Road has been closed for a few weeks now
January 07, 2013 03:43PM
Just thought I'd say that

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Hetch Hetchy Road has been closed for a few weeks now
January 07, 2013 03:51PM
chick-on

I haven't seen anything in the Daily Report about it. Any idea why it's closed?
Re: Hetch Hetchy Road has been closed for a few weeks now
January 07, 2013 04:25PM
eeek
chick-on

Bad road conditions, in the form of ice, is the explanation that was given by the Evergreen Lodge staff (we were surprised by the closure and asked them...).
January 07, 2013 04:28PM
eeek
chick-on

Fluffy white stuff
followed by fully white stuff turning into sheet o ice

Of course it is normally open. But it hasn't been for some time now.
(it was closed xmas time... and was still closed last weekend... and still is now)

Hopefully it clears up soon

January 07, 2013 05:59PM
That must have ruined your Christmas plans...

Oh and by the way, go Niners this weekend!
January 08, 2013 10:33AM
Hey all – new member here. I am employed by Hetch Hetchy. The reason for the road closure is because of a slide in the area past Rest Hill. At least one-half of the paved roadway is gone (slid). Not safe for public transit.

Regards (long time lurker…like the site),

Flip
January 08, 2013 10:44AM
Thanks for the update. It's good to have the real reason.
January 08, 2013 11:04AM
Flip,
I asked at 140 entrance station and they only mentioned snow and ice. Of course this makes more sense.
Any idea what timeframe is to get it fixed?
Is Rest Hill the spot where Poopenaut Valley lookout is? Where the picnic table is located?

Also, any chance some schmo like me can get a tour of Mountain Tunnel? (i.e. take a peek at what I presume is the big old pipe inside)
(prob. the same as the one around Early Intake and Cherry Tunnel)

Thanks for the info

January 08, 2013 02:29PM
chick-on
Also, any chance some schmo like me can get a tour of Mountain Tunnel? (i.e. take a peek at what I presume is the big old pipe inside)

I didn't think there are pipes in the tunnels; rather, the the tunnels are lined/sealed as needed so water can flow directly through them. The only exception I'm aware of--I believe there are pipes running through the tunnel dug under/around the south side of the damsite to divert the river from the dam site during construction.

I think HHWP did some tunnel inspections a few years ago--that would have been the best opportunity to go inside one of the aqueduct tunnels, although I'm sure access was restricted :-(
January 08, 2013 08:58PM
You know the reason I was thinking there was a pipe in there was because...
well... the pipe goes into the mountain ... but after you and HetchyConnetchy
state it's just blasted granite... it makes perfect sense.

Here's the pipe going into the mountain at Cherry Power Tunnel.

For someone who has never seen these ... the pipe is about 5 ft. diameter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 08:58PM by chick-on.
January 09, 2013 06:29AM
chick-on
Here's the pipe going into the mountain at Cherry Power Tunnel.

Is there anyplace in Yosemite you haven't been to?!?!? Bowing to his greatness
January 09, 2013 06:55AM
Well... that's not really Yosemite. tongue sticking out smiley

So... here's the side tunnel near HH Dam that connects to The Canyon Power Tunnel:

A crude map of the system can be found on an interpretive sign on the dam itself:

Mountain Tunnel isn't marked on that map but goes from Kirkwood to Priest Reservoir. I tried spying the reservoir itself...
but signs around it say strictly no trespassing... sad smiley

In direct response... of course not. But I'm trying. Did complete goal of touching all the named lakes last year tho...
but that just now leads me to have to go back to iirc 3 that I haven't visited for a LONG time and don't have photos of.
(I'm working on a photo set of all the lakes... gonna take me awhile though)
And then there's the WL lakes have yet to visit... and a number of peaks... and a number of canyon traverses... and...
then you do it all over again... and again...

Have fun

January 09, 2013 08:12AM
chick-on
and...
then you do it all over again... and again...

Hey, we all know that the hikes look different depending on
  1. what direction you're going
  2. who you're with
  3. what time of day it is
  4. what time of year it is
  5. how many Twinkies are left in your bear can (well, that one doesn't affect ME very much but I've heard it's a big deal for some folks!) Rolling on floor laugh

Guess I know what I'm doing for the rest of my life! hot smiley
January 09, 2013 12:13PM
Hey Click-on, I think our terminology is off: Rest Hill is not the picnic table near Poopenaut…much further down the road.

The slide, which caused about one-half of a lane to go down the hill, occurred about a mile from the Hetchy compound (about 200 yards from the backpacking camp if you were leaving). It occurred in a very steep and tight gorge, and there is a culvert there as well. Hopefully that clears things up.

What baffles us is this road from Mather to the reservoir is the old Hetch Hetchy railroad grade, and has lasted a very long time. What made this situation so special and cause such damage? Mather road from Mather to Cherry Oil road is also the old railroad grade (the guard rails are made from the old railroad tracks). There is an old trolley station about a mile from Cherry Oil that is still intact minus the cables.

Flip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 11:26AM by HetchyConnection.
January 09, 2013 02:04PM
Hmm... As you head away from the damn the first spot you hit on the right that you can pull over
there is a picnic table and H3 sign.. with this view:

That is what I was thinking was Rest Hill.

There's another picnic table near Poopenaut BM (where they put in the cell tower(?) last year). I think that is H4.

Regardless, no matter so much. Road is closed for us folks. Thanks

(and would LOVE to see some photos)

EDIT: Was assuming Rest Hill was Here and the road got wiped out Here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 02:49PM by chick-on.
January 09, 2013 06:13PM
Yea, you got it...was thinking you thought the slide was at the Poopenaut TH area.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 03:52PM by HetchyConnection.
January 10, 2013 07:46AM
Thanks for the photos. Your comments w/r to the "tites" immediately makes me think of Eleanor.
Now that is a dam that I would think is not long for this world. Looks can be deceiving though
and it probably is in just fine shape. Some patchwork was done years ago... and that is what it
looks like (top of dam). Here's the view of one piece of Eleanor I was thinking of w/r to the tites:

As you can imagine I have a bunch of questions. I'm really interested in how exactly it is plumbed inside the dam.
Your pictures give a good glimpse of it. I've never seen a schematic of the inside. One has to exist..

Kudos on the UV system. Could smell the chlorine when turning the faucet on b4. blah!

One big question I have is... have you or any of your fellow workers ever seen a photo of
a view of the actual cables which were run from Kolana to HH Dome during WWII?
Is there a treasure trove of pictures thru the history of the dam somewhere in a vault or
room around "hh headquarters"? Any idea?

Thanks for taking the time

January 11, 2013 09:43AM
Hey Click-on - The dam faucet is treated with CL2, and lots of it.

Yea, Eleanor does look quite ragged. It is what it is. Eleanor was drained last year the two weeks surrounding Thanksgiving for repairs. Well, drained isn't the correct word because there was a natural lake Eleanor before the dam was ever constructed. The natural lake was formed by glacial moraines. Building a dam only made lake Eleanor much bigger. Grinding rocks and signs of the old Kibbie settlement were revealed during the draining/drawdown period. Much of Eleanor is quite shallow especially the Frog Creek side which the following shots will illustrate:

This is the entrance to the tunnel between Eleanor & Cherry:

Getting closer to the natural lake:

Natural lake Eleanor:

There is indeed treasure troves of historical pictures. Although Moccasin Admin has a stash, most are scattered throughout the project. Cabin #1 pictured below has some of the best historic pictures hanging on its walls as well as cabin #2 and the bunkhouse. Others in in powerhouse lobbies and offices of Hetchy staff.

Cabin #1

Looks like I suck at pictures...blurry and all cut off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 03:55PM by HetchyConnection.
January 11, 2013 09:50AM
These are very interesting shots, HC...blurry or not. Keep 'em coming! (and thanks for taking the time to post them!)
January 11, 2013 10:06AM
Hmm... maybe I'll have to go a knocking...

Very familiar with Eleanor. Visited it twice when it was drained last year.
both in December (took full advantage of the no snow)
Some of the same photos can be found here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,49907,49907#msg-49907

or just look here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/Inferno
and here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/KibbieXmas

Over Xmas the wife was with me... and while I went and explored the dam and pipe to Cherry
she went the other way... said she was going to hike around the lake... I told her to not try
that since she would need the entire day and we only had a few hours... and that it's gets
nice and cliffy closer to Eleanor Creek entrance... does she listen to me? of course not
She took a good tumble and scrapped her booty big time... made it back after dark after
I started packing a sleeping bag and other warm clothes in a backpack to go find her.
(she didn't even make it to the entry to Eleanor Creek).

Thanks for sharing ur photos.

Know anything about the anti-aircraft cables?

January 11, 2013 11:54AM
Yea, seems you visited while it was drawn down (not suprised considering your rambunctious wild heart). Your shot of the Cherry tunnel is from the opposite direction of my shots. We were in the lake bed itself.

It would be an all day affair to walk around Eleanor for sure. In fact, I wouldn't even want to try getting from the inlet to Kibbie Creek. That is a very steep area.

Here is something us anglers find interesting: Lake Eleanor is sporting two new signs. One located in the Eleanor campground and the other in the display case thingy once you cross the Eleanor dam.

What makes this interesting is "single barbless" regulations never exist without other lesser regs also being in place--such as "zero limit" and "artificial" (artificial meaning no bait allowed). You can both use bait (not live bait as the sign states) and you can keep fish at Eleanor. Because this lake is within park boundaries, special rules and regs do not appear in the Department of Fish & Wildlife literature. Game wardens (called Wildlife Officers now) cannot enforce NP rules/regs. They cannot even pursue a poacher from NF land onto NP land. NP fishing regs are only enforced by NP rangers. The only thing I can find in any Yosemite literature regarding fishing rules/regs basically refers to DFW rule books. Huh???

You probably know as much about the cables as I do. You really seem to know about and get around Yosemite like no other.

Flip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 11:28AM by HetchyConnection.
January 11, 2013 01:01PM
I saw the grinding rocks near the campground shoreline when the lake was low during the drought period of the eighties. Also saw the debris hanging on the top of the handrail on the downstream side of the dam after the January 1997 downpour. The volume of water flowing out of the lake then had to be something to behold. Chick-on has pictures of the debris I believe.

Old Dude
January 11, 2013 08:07PM
Although we've been to Eleanor a zillion times.... didn't take photos back then.
Have debris pix... but those are from 2005. And from last year. They don't clear the debris.
Probably joe camper takes it and burns it though.

w/r to fishing... I quit fishing years ago... although have fished many a lake in Yosemite.
w/r to Eleanor ... Was in trusty trailboat when lake was full
fishing right at Eleanor inlet... and zippy a dee doo da... here's comes Mr. Ranger in his
speed boat checking that I had a fishing license.... certain he thought I was nuts for
fishing in my goofy trail boat but, hey, it was fun. and he is probably right

As far as lake level... I was fairly certain that the lake was drained to pre-dam level-ish
every year to avoid water load on the dam. Much like Lake Florence. No?

January 12, 2013 08:45AM
chick-on
As far as lake level... I was fairly certain that the lake was drained to pre-dam level-ish
every year to avoid water load on the dam. Much like Lake Florence. No?

I suspect that the water in Eleanor is drained (or pumped, depending on relative water levels) into Cherry mostly to maximize power generation at Holm. This is similar to Waugh Lake, which is drained into Gem Lake each year.
January 12, 2013 10:31AM
Basilbop is correct. Draining Eleanor like last winter is done only when major repairs are necessary.
January 14, 2013 06:52AM
OK. Thx. From "Laurel Ridge" have seen the lakebed and z old dood has hiked on the lakebed
on another occasion... so thus my assumption.

January 11, 2013 02:35PM
Historical note: the Lake Eleanor dam was the first major facility constructed for the HH system. It was used to run a small powerplant located near the site of Early Intake. The penstock for this plant is still visible, just past the Tuolumne bridge (heading towards Cherry Lake). The water was diverted from Cherry Creek above the current bridge into the Lower Cherry Aqueduct, which the Cherry road follows (on the right) for about a mile between the two bridges. This smallish aqueduct, I believe, is no longer used.

Another historical note: the early plans for Lake Eleanor envisoned a reservoir 10x the size of the current one (in terms of volume), possibly conceived as a result of the (pre-Raker) Garfield Permit, which would have required SF to develop Cherry and Eleanor first. Only later, as water demand required, could HH be developed, which--assuming the Mokelumne project, Don Pedro, and the SWP were still later developed--may never have happened...
January 14, 2013 07:28PM
Thanks. There is so much history to the hh project (and all over the park).
The more I read... the more I determine I know nothing.
My understanding is that the mountain tunnel to Priest from Early Intake
was built when the 'first' hh dam was comleted. Only later when the dam
was raised was the canyon power tunnel put in.
Need to read a lot more about this to get the facts correct. Thanks

January 31, 2013 07:26AM
Picked up the book "SF Water and Power - A History of the Municipal Water Department and HH System".
A few items of perhaps interest:
- Originally water to SF went down the river to Early Intake - now (if I'm reading it right) it all flows thru Canyon Power Tunnel
- Canyon Power Tunnel wasn't completed until 1965
- Cherry and Eleanor Tunnels were completed in 1960
- Water from Cherry and Eleanor doesn't feed SF...

It's a nice book. Even the wife was reading it.

I presume that Moccasin Dam will be dry since HH system is suppose to be taken offline tmr.
We'll see...

January 31, 2013 12:54PM
Unlike most shutdown years, Moccasin Lake will not be dry. So, no dry lake bed this year.

Sounds like your book is pretty accurate.

BTW - It will be a very long time before HH will be open again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 03:59PM by HetchyConnection.
January 31, 2013 01:14PM
HetchyConnection

BTW - It will be a very long time before HH will be open again.

Are you talking about the road, or the water system?
January 31, 2013 01:19PM
Thanks. It's my understanding that HH water is open also at Priest Reservoir. No?
Got any pictures of Priest Reservoir? Have been wanting to see that. (bummed about the No Trespassing signs)
Also thanks for the update on HH road. Again, any pictures? Had half a mind to
hike down to check it out couple of weekends ago while visiting Smith Peak area.
Didn't do that b/c I wanted to stay in the backcountry and not get into any trouble for any reason.
Quite the bummer about HH road. There are other ways into the backcountry though.
Thanks for the post

February 01, 2013 09:40AM
The water system is shutdown only long enough for repairs. The road is what I meant by "a very long time". My guess (only a personal guess) is that the road will not open to the public until mid-summer....like July-ish. Depending on the length of construction, I wouldn't be surprised if it were closed beyond July. I'll get some pics up of the slide and damage, but now I'm getting ready to head out for a couple of nights myselff...maybe Preston or Eleanor or...

Click-on - Priest Reservoir is a bypass. The reason for no access is because this water can re-enter the system.

Take care,

Flip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 04:00PM by HetchyConnection.
February 05, 2013 07:33AM
Thanks. Did you go?

If so... any hacking of the Poison Oak to Preston? Only been there once and it was a PO dodge fest.
Another question. During late fall and winter do they really do any variable outflow between the dam
and Early Intake? Did part of Poopenaut Gorge couple Dec of 2011... and need to get back
there and finish do the rest. Gorgeous slot canyon right there.
Obviously don't want to be IN the river when additonal spiggots get turned on. Comments?

February 05, 2013 03:17PM
I ended up taking my boat up into the Cherry inlet and camping. Only spent one night.

Have been up Preston way a ton though. Like any canyon, poison oak galore. Good trail though up to the falls.

I recall reading a report you submitted from the area between Poopenaut and Preston. It had a couple of pics of you and a stuffed bird floating on one of those two-buck-chuck inflatable rafts. Yea? An anglers dream up in there because nobody ever goes. Nice slot canyon as you said, deep cavernous water, where the big fish lurk. Put a deer-hair mouse on the end of a fly line and bounce it off a granite wall…

You have nothing to worry about in the fall and winter months regarding flux….go for it, I do! Neat area….my stomping grounds in the winter. Merely maintain “fish flows” in fall and winter seasons – wild & scenic rivers must have appropriate fish flows. However there are times when drastic flux occurs. Spring for obvious runoff reasons and summer because of rafting flows. After the snowmelt is gone, in addition to the fish flows, we have to keep the rafting community happy by providing a daily 3-hour wave downstream. Generally speaking, the daily rafting waves are the purpose for all the signage. If you are in the river when the rafting flow begins it will get your attention.
February 05, 2013 05:14PM
I thought rafting releases were done only from Cherry... it sounds like they are done from HH as well...?
February 06, 2013 06:59AM
Rafting flow releases are indeed performed primarily from Cherry. The reason for the rafting flows are so that those guys don't have to get out and drag rafts over exposed gravel bars, etc. when the river flow decreases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 11:31AM by HetchyConnection.
February 06, 2013 07:48AM
Thanks Flip. I was under same impression as basil.
Thought maybe the answer would be.. "those signs aren't applicable anymore".
No way, no how, would I want to be a stepping in that river in spring.
Scary even up close.

Cool on the boating. Seems that is a pretty popular thing. Had crazy idea
of trail-boating all the way either to or fro to do CCC.
Then saw the insanity below one Memorial Day and said hmm...
also the inlet always seems to hold logs... which is not so good for a
trailboat..
Seems that the camping there must have become very popular b/c
I recall the powers that be had a map somewhere that says you
have to be so far away from high water line.
Anyway, thanks for all the info

February 06, 2013 02:44PM
Do you expect the road to be open for bicycle traffic by May?
February 06, 2013 03:35PM
twarfield
Do you expect the road to be open for bicycle traffic by May?

If they are actively doing repairs at that time, I wouldn't expect the road to be open for bikes.
January 09, 2013 01:49PM
chick-on

Did complete goal of touching all the named lakes last year tho...
but that just now leads me to have to go back to iirc 3 that I haven't visited for a LONG time and don't have photos of.

You were at a lake that you didn't take photos of? Or had photos but they have been misplaced or lost?

Any other person, I could believe in them not taking a photo of all the lakes they have visited, but you? I thought you were the most snap-happy shutterbug on the entire planet. wink

Anyway, I would love to see your complete album of all the Yosemite lakes that you have visited if you ever have time to complete that project. Probably a very huge undertaking.

January 09, 2013 02:24PM
Didn't used to take a camera. I should have a regular photo of Neall... but I didn't see it.
The other 2, Swamp and Minnow... only been to once and that was over 10 years ago.
Good reason to go back.

January 08, 2013 01:04PM
The slide is ~a mile from the Hetchy compound. Currently there is only Hetchy, the park service and USGS going through.

Fishing for brown trout has been very good at Hetchy recently.

Again, neat site…I have wanted to join for a while now. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 04:03PM by HetchyConnection.
January 08, 2013 01:43PM
It'd be nice if the upcoming Wapama feed were also posted on a public website.

Yeah, homeland security monitoring is OK too, I guess...

Welcome!
January 08, 2013 02:07PM
Thank you. Ok, yeah, Rest Hill must be "H3 - Poopenaut Valley View" where the picnic table is.

Thanks for the info on Mountain Tunnel. Sorry, I called it wrong.. It's called Canyon Power Tunnel.
Mountain Tunnel is from Early Intake to Priest. oops.
Stood outside the gate below the dam looking in and wondered. Looks like you guys drive pickups in there.
When they shut down Cherry do you guys enter Cherry Power Tunnel via the pipe itself?
I seem to recall a hatch on the pipe where it enters the mountain above Holm.
Any guided tour would include a tour of the dam too, no? wink

IMO the system below the dam is more of a feat of engineering than the dam itself.

Last time stopped and looked at the fish at Moccasin wondered where the REALLY big guys went. Mystery solved.

Thanks so much for the info

January 10, 2013 07:53AM
I presume at the time they shut off the pipe to the tunnel... they let the reservoir
fill up by not opening more of the pipes which feed the Tuolumne below the dam.
SF is required to keep the flow of Tuolumne above a specified cfs all year.
Curious if they do some calculation/speculation depending on current flow
into and also current snowpack in order to figure out how much to dump...
or if that is only done in the spring?

January 10, 2013 05:52AM
Great info here. Thanks to everyone who contributed to our education.
February 08, 2013 08:41AM
With Eleanor drained like that, I bet one could have seen a lot of huge trout swimming down in what remained.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
February 08, 2013 08:59AM
DavidSenesac
With Eleanor drained like that, I bet one could have seen a lot of huge trout swimming down in what remained.
I would take that bet. Didn't see a single fish both times was there... and I looked...
Best time imo ... is spring when the lake is full... jump in your trailboat and go head to Kibbie Crk inlet...
have seen loads of fish there...

February 08, 2013 10:37AM
chick-on
DavidSenesac
I would take that bet. Didn't see a single fish both times was there... and I looked...
Best time imo ... is spring when the lake is full... jump in your trailboat and go head to Kibbie Crk inlet...
have seen loads of fish there...

Yup been thar dun dat.

Glad to hear those little pools in the jpg did not represent the size of the remaining natural lake.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
February 08, 2013 09:22AM
DavidSenesac

The lake is still pretty big. Over 300 acres compared to about 1000 acres when dammed. Here is a map link:

Lake Eleanor Dam - 1889

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2013 06:42PM by chick-on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login