All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Museum staff move a section of the giant sequoia
January 08, 2013 11:06AM
avatar Re: Museum staff move a section of the giant sequoia
January 09, 2013 06:22AM
Immediate thought was: wonder if this is from Mark Twain...

quick search provides the answer (yes)

A couple of other photos of it from the web:

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 09, 2013 06:23AM
Actually original thought was... why they moving it from outside the musuem..
(and then I looked at the picture)
Now the question is... from what tree is the one outside the museum?

January 11, 2013 08:09PM
I guess I'll go find the answer myself. tongue sticking out smiley

January 14, 2013 05:20PM
Here's the answer:

January 17, 2013 08:12AM
Thanks for your research.

I do appreciate it. Sadly, not too many people in this forum are fascinated about the Sequoias as we are.

The few times I've posted about sequoias on this forum, I don't think I've gotten many, if any, replies.

Oh well.

Re: Museum staff move a section of the giant sequoia
January 17, 2013 08:50AM
I also love sequoias of both kinds and like reading about them. Even more spending time amongst them. We have 11 coastal sequoias that have done quite well since we have a sprinkler system and are close enough to the coast that we get the fog that they so like. They were only 4-5 feet tall when we planted them in 1990 and they are now over 60 feet tall and add anywhere from 1 -2 feet a year. We have three clustered in the front yard and I sometimes go and sit beneath them. We have three more in the backyard that we did not plant and are from seeds of the ones that we originally planted and sprouted up years after we had planted the other ones. They are heavily shaded by the other ones, are not growing very fast and are only around 10 feet tall. We have one giant sequoia and it has not done as well as the coastals but it is also in a huge planter. We need to find a place for it in our backyard so that it will grow better.

There is nothing like spending the day wandering around a grove of sequoias and marvel at their age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 08:55AM by parklover.
January 18, 2013 11:48PM
parklover
I also love sequoias of both kinds and like reading about them....

I know this is a bit off topic for a Yosemite discussion but you just might have some info about it. In the San Francisco Botanical Garden/Strybing Arboretum there's at least one Giant Sequoia. It looks on the smallish side for a Giant Sequoia but it's still a pretty big tree. Any idea where it came from and when, or how it got transported?

Some pictures on this page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sftrajan/sets/72157602427446843/detail/?page=148 I'm not sure if any of them are of the exact tree I saw but hey, I'll happily accept info on any Giant Sequoia in Strybing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2013 11:55PM by gophersnake.
January 19, 2013 12:12AM
I saw 5' to 8' tall Giants Sequoias being sold (in large pots) at the Merced Costco last spring.

It's easy to replant a Sequoia seedling wherever one wants. IIRC, the just need well-drained sandy soil and lots of water to grow well. In more mild climates like the Bay Area, they grow even faster than up in the Sierra where they're growth is slowed by the longer winter.

January 19, 2013 06:30AM
In the East Bay Giant Sequoias can be found in many places, including several groves in Tilden Park. In Lakeside Park (Lake Merritt) there is a spot where one can stand within ten yards of all three Sequoia species; Coast Redwood, Giant Sequoia, and Dawn Redwood.
January 19, 2013 09:37AM
I've been water skiing in Lake Merritt.

I know there is a Dawn and Coast Redwood at the Hayward Library. They might have the other one too. I know they have, or had, a beautiful example of a Araucaria araucana (Monkey puzzle tree) there.

I just looked it up and the Hayward Library does have all 3 redwoods and the other one I mentioned is not the araucana but it's cousin an Araucaria bidwilli from Australia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2013 01:29PM by Dave.
January 21, 2013 11:53PM
I'd like to go back and take more pics eventually. Meanwhile this is the best one I have, unfortunately, of that tree I saw in Strybing:

The tree looks like it would have to be at least a few hundred years old and I doubt that it originally sprouted there, so I'm wondering what-all was involved in moving it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 08:08PM by gophersnake.
January 21, 2013 05:23AM
Several years ago, I went to Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP and went to both the Grant Grove and
the Grove of the Giants. Of course, the immensity of these trees leaves the viewer dumbstruck,
but I couldn't help but feel some sympathy for other trees in the area. I mean, there were fir, pine
and other conifers along side the sequoias that were 10-12 feet thick, or more. If these gigantic
trees had taken root any place else, they would be the stars of the show. Instead, few even notice
them.

Next time you are in a grove of sequoia trees, take a look around. As great as they are, there are
other magnificent giants that you might not notice.
January 21, 2013 07:57PM
If those trees had taken root many other places... they would have been cut down.
Sad but true. Money may not grow on trees. But trees are money.

There's some huge Sugar Pines in the park... and some rather impressive Junipers.
If the western boundary of the park had been kept in it's original form... there
would be massive strands of Sugar Pines.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login