All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Overnight to Sentinel Dome (Photos)
January 11, 2013 06:40PM
Went on a quick weekend trip to an area just east of Sentinel Dome to take in some winter scenery. There is a solid four feet of coverage from Badger Pass out to Glacier Point. The road is nice and groomed but powder fluff off of it.

So here are a few photos to pass the time........

avatar Re: Overnight to Sentinel Dome (Photos)
January 11, 2013 07:46PM
Nice, thanks. Did you ski or snowshoe? I've been to Taft Point in March, and have Sentinel on my list, but the short days in January seemed like an issue.
January 11, 2013 07:51PM
I presume that was 2012. 29/30th. It was delicious last weekend.
wink

Tanks for Sharin

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Overnight to Sentinel Dome (Photos)
January 12, 2013 07:20PM
We snowshoed, but the skiing looked fantastic off the road. These are from the weekend of January 4-6 smiling smiley
January 14, 2013 06:48AM
calicokat
These are from the weekend of January 4-6 smiling smiley
All weekends should be 3 days. And all overnight should be 2.
wink

Ok, then they must be mostly from Friday then and early Saturday... tongue sticking out smiley
(unless my pictures are lying to me)
How was the hike out Sunday? We got snowed on Saturday night and
were packing up Sunday morning with snow falling on us.

January 14, 2013 07:43AM
The weather was perfect Friday and Saturday till sundown. Then it got windy (15-25 mph with stronger gusts) and started to snow around 11:00 pm, maybe two inches overnight. Sunday morning was cold and occasionaly snowy, probably another couple of inches on the way out.
January 12, 2013 07:27PM
looks like fun, do they keep the road plowed to Badger pass, do you typically need 4x or chains?
January 12, 2013 09:32PM
They plow up till Badger Pass. We needed the four wheel drive without chains to get up there.
January 13, 2013 01:24AM
ryanmj

looks like fun, do they keep the road plowed to Badger pass, do you typically need 4x or chains?

NPS plows Glacier Point Road from Wawona Road to Badger Pass in the winter. (They'll even refer to it as Badger Pass Road in the winter.)

But even with the plowing, often times right after heavy snow storms the road will often have R2 restrictions (chains or 4WD required) though after several days of no snow it can drop down to either R1 (any vehicle with snow-rated tires (i.e. M+S rated tires) which include all all-season tires) or even R0 (no restrictions).

January 13, 2013 01:28AM
plawrence
(any vehicle with snow-rated tires (i.e. M+S rated tires) which include all all-season tires)

Only if they have enough tread depth left on them.
January 13, 2013 07:01PM
eeek
plawrence
(any vehicle with snow-rated tires (i.e. M+S rated tires) which include all all-season tires)

Only if they have enough tread depth left on them.

Billy take heed!!

Old Dude
January 13, 2013 09:37PM
I sat in the parking lot at Badger Pass for 2 hours one night waiting for them to clear an accident. Even with no chain requirements in place, that road in winter can be very slippery and dangerous.
January 12, 2013 08:35PM
Cool Pics, or should I say "Cold Pics"!
Thanks for sharing.
January 12, 2013 09:11PM
Thanks for the photos. Beautiful.
January 14, 2013 08:55PM
These photos remind me of a couple of trips I took in the mid 70’s, one to Glacier Point – Sentinel Dome and the other to Dewey Point. The weather was beautiful at GP and on the night we spent on Sentinel Dome, crystal clear blue skies. No so at Dewey Point. The photos are old but they give you an idea how it was.
In those days they plowed the road out to the picnic area at Summit Meadow, about a mile or so past Badger Pass. There was a marked xcountry ski trail from there out to Dewey Point (maybe there still is). The minute we got to Dewey Point, lightning struck a big Jeffery pine nearby and it started snowing, it snowed for two days & nights. We never could see down into the Valley. When we got back to Summit Meadow we realized they didn’t always plow all the way out there. We had one more night out but had a wonderful time.

January 15, 2013 12:42AM
Cool old-time photos. Thanks for taking the time to scan and post them.
January 15, 2013 07:34AM
Bowing to his greatness
Thanks! I love the old photos. Please. More ... as you see fit.

Especially love the digging out the tent one... and of course the bus. Awesome!

January 15, 2013 05:07PM
++ on the retro photos, nice.
January 16, 2013 09:33PM
Here are a couple more from those trips, the poor old Jeffery pine and then two of us having lunch. Over the next few months I’ll try to post some of my family’s photos from the past. My grandparents first went to Yosemite in the early twenties, the first year I didn’t go I was in Viet Nam. There are hundreds of photos from many summers spent in Camp 14 & TM and lots of backpacking trips. We are starting to digitize them so it will be a while but I think I’ll get some good stuff up here. And thanks Chick....it is a bus, not a van!

January 17, 2013 07:18AM
BUMP!

MORE PEAS!

Bowing to his greatness

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login