Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Winter Conditions Update: Jan. 9 - Jan. 16

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tuolumne Winter Conditions Update: Jan. 9 - Jan. 16
January 16, 2013 12:24PM
Tuolumne Winter Conditions Update: Jan. 9 - Jan. 16
High: 45°F (January 9th)
Low: -22°F (January 11th)
New Snow: 5”
Total settled snow depth: 45” as of January 16th

Skiing Conditions and Weather: The cold snap that covered the Western US this week also visited Tuolumne Meadows and its icy grip could be felt for most of the week. There were 3 consecutive days where the low temperature was -17, -22, and -21 respectively. This cold snap was followed by strong Northeast winds that have left the ski conditions variable to say the least. There is still some soft snow to ski out there, mostly below tree line, and there is also wind board, wind crust, and a sun crust on the sunnier slopes. The good news is that there is still excellent snow coverage and if one is creative they can find powder turns and good skiing.

Avalanche and Snowpack Conditions: For the latest avalanche advisory for this area go to http://www.esavalanche.org for the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center and click on advisory. The ESAC site is updated several times a week and more often during weather events. Triggering isolated wind slabs is still a possibility in the high alpine zone. High winds on January 13 and 14 transported lots of snow and formed wind slabs on most aspects above tree line. Wilderness skiers need to use caution when traversing slopes above tree line. Persistent weak layers can still be found in the snowpack, but until they are loaded with new snow they do not pose a hazard.

Wildlife: We saw a Snowshoe hare this week, and many other small mammal tracks in the newly fallen snow. A flock of Red Crossbills was observed near Tioga Pass, and the Ravens, Clarkes Nutcrackers and Mountain Chickadees are still enjoying the solitude of Tuolumne Meadows.

Questions: The Tuolumne Ski Hut is open for the season. There is an ample supply of firewood and 10 bunks that are available on a first come, first served basis. You can call the Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Station at (209) 372-0450. If you leave a message we will get back to you the first chance we get. Power and phones are frequently out of service. Contact the Wilderness Office at (209) 372-0740 with any questions or concerns if you are unable to reach the Ranger Station. Come prepared; don’t count on electricity or phone service at the ski hut.
avatar Re: Tuolumne Winter Conditions Update: Jan. 9 - Jan. 16
January 16, 2013 02:36PM
Excellent. A snowshoe hare...
January 16, 2013 03:01PM
Thanks for the update eeek. -22, wow that's cold. Guess I should stop complaining about it being 30 degrees at night here.
January 16, 2013 03:53PM
oakroscoe
-22, wow that's cold.

That's a night to not take in too much fluid before bed.
January 16, 2013 03:59PM
Haha yeah. Wake up, poke my face out of the mummy bag, see the thermometer and feel the cold. "Yeah, I can hold it. I'll wait for the sun to come up"
January 16, 2013 04:04PM
hint: Pee Bottle

btw .. the min 2 days later was 23

ur gonna stay in the "cabin" if you go to TM
if can get enough days off in a row... may go there this yr.
maybe can get them to report they saw a pink chick-on
smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 16, 2013 07:45PM
chick-on

It has been known to fill up.
January 17, 2013 07:30AM
eeek
chick-on

It has been known to fill up.

-22. I'm coming in whether you like it or not.

Need to look at it a bit but I think what happens is TM itself gets MUCH
colder than if you just go up a bit. Also, in winter, if you make a snow
shelter it's toasty warm.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login