Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Sequoias on Snowshoes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sequoias on Snowshoes
January 22, 2013 08:31PM
In summertime, the Giant Forest can be packed with people admiring the big trees. In winter, you can travel all day and see only a few people outside the Sherman Tree and Congress Grove area. For most of the Giant Forest, it's just you and the numerous big trees.

On Saturday, we did a favorite loop of ours: starting at the (winter) Sherman Tree parking lot, we hiked to the Congress Group area, then through Circle Meadow to Crescent Meadow. After lunch and some hot tea in the very warm sun, we took a spur trip along the High Sierra Trail to Eagle View, where the warm sun had all but melted all the snow off the trail.

After backtracking a bit, we descended to Log Meadow, passed by Tharp's Log, then climbed to the Giant Forest loop trail.

This trail passes many unnamed giants, including one older specimen that despite centuries of lightning and fire is still alive and standing strong.

After looping around this giant, the trail slowly descends to the Congress group, with the namesake House and Senate groups and several Presidential trees. This stretch is particularly noteworthy since there are stretches where almost all the trees are Sequoias, an effect you don't get in the smaller groves, where the Sequoias are more the exception than the rule.

The next day, we started from the museum parking area, following the (closed) Crescent Meadow road towards Moro Rock, which was too icy to summit safely--or sanely, at least.

After another lunch in the warm winter sun at Crescent Meadow, we returned to Circle Meadow, then followed the Alta Trail to Round Meadow.

After looping around recently-restored Round Meadow, we went to Sunset Point to, well, catch sunset.

The next day, we left via Kings Canyon/Grant Grove. Once in Fresno, we headed north on 41 towards home (only 50 or so miles away!)...

...then returned to the Bay Area.

More Pictures
January 22, 2013 08:44PM
Your pictures really want me to go snowshoeing in the Sequioa. We have only been there in the summer. Thanks for posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 08:45PM by parklover.
avatar Re: Sequoias on Snowshoes
January 22, 2013 09:52PM
Thanks for the photos from Sequoia. Love visiting the park. Need to get back to it. Haven't been there for a few years now.
January 22, 2013 10:12PM
That's real nice. Now I want to see it too, add me to the list.

I have a particular Sequoia I want to relocate, I could use your help.
January 23, 2013 06:44AM
Love the first paragraph. Now is a great time to be out...
Great pictures!
January 23, 2013 07:53AM
Great stuffs.

Few comments.

a - looks like the bird is overloading that snowshoe
b - thanks for the photo of mark twain - did you go to Z stump?
(never have seen it... it's on my list o stuff to see along with Boole)
Or is it one of those "nearby" is in the park things?
3 - tanks for sharon aaron

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 24, 2013 01:45PM
Chick-on: The trick to avoid overloading the snowshoe is to use wing lift as needed :-)

Oh, and we didn't go to the Big Stump... gotta keep something for next time!
January 23, 2013 06:54PM
I like the forced perspective in the first photo - those trees are big, but not quite THAT big! smiling smiley
January 24, 2013 04:43PM
Thanks for posting the photos. Beautiful with the snow!
January 26, 2013 02:38PM
Great pics. Thanks for posting!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login