Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Please ID this tree

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 23, 2013 10:11AM
I want to find this tree, I could use some help.

I'm the little guy waving, aged 5, summer of '69. Dad tossed us in the station wagon and we drove from IA to CA. If I remember our itinerary correctly, this shot was taken on our way from Yosemite to LA. Mariposa grove, possibly? - Just a guess.

I'm pretty sure it's still standing. I found this on the web, it looks like the same tree in 2009. Emailed the webmaster to see if he had any info, never heard back from him.

Not quite a needle in a haystack, still it presents a challenge. Thanks!
Re: Please ID this tree
January 23, 2013 11:05AM
Haven't been past it for a few years but I believe it's just past the Clothespin Tree in the Mariposa Grove...I don't think it has a name but if you take the trail that leaves from the North side of the parking lot, it'll take you past the Faithful Couple, then the Clothespin Tree and, if I'm remembering correctly, then you hit this one. I'm just doing that off the top of my head so I could be completely wrong but the above seems to fit my recollection.
January 23, 2013 11:45AM
My best guess is that is the tree formerly known as "General Sheridan" which is located just south
of the current "Museum" building in the upper grove. It's one of a goofy work-in-progress (with much
progress still to be done) things been doing. I'll look tonight to see if I have a photo. But I doubt it.

There must be a zillion photos though of that area on Z web.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 23, 2013 11:52AM
My other guess is that is "Fallen Giant" in your photo.

Darn kids

January 23, 2013 01:59PM
I am of no help ID'ing the tree, but I do think you nailed it finding that photo -- I have been studying the two photos, looking at subtle details, and I agree it really does look like a match.

You said you e-mailed the webmaster, is that the same as the copyright holder "S. Hutchcraft"?
January 23, 2013 02:10PM
Thanks everyone for your help. If that's the Mariposa Grove, I haven't been back since, so I'm overdue for a visit. Maybe I can put up a picture at their lost-and-found.

I emailed the site via the contact on their home page - http://arts4arch.com/ - that's all I could find. No response but site owners get all sorts of goofy email.
January 23, 2013 02:21PM
Do a google search for images of 'Mariposa Grove Museum'. Find a shot with the chimney view in it.
There's your tree.

The Upper Grove of Mariposa Grove is pretty spectacular.

January 23, 2013 03:54PM
Well... and I found 2 photos of it for you (and yes, these were mine) (so do what you like with them).

Annoyed yet?

January 23, 2013 04:11PM
Good job! If anyone would have a photo of it, it's you. Nice.

Using your tip, here's another photo I found on the web showing the tree and the museum:

The full-size photo is located here:
http://www.redwoodhikes.com/YosemiteNP/Mariposa.html

January 23, 2013 04:21PM
The photo is located on a very nice web site that has a lot of good information about hiking the giant sequoia groves in the Sierra, along with the sister website about hiking the coastal redwoods groves.

Here's the link for both sites:

For the giant sequoia groves hikes: http://www.redwoodhikes.com/Sequoias.html

For the coastal redwood groves hikes: http://www.redwoodhikes.com/Home.html

Both sites are worth checking out if you're interested in these magnificent trees.

January 23, 2013 06:19PM
Thanks for posting those sites. I love Prairie Creek SP and recommend it for everyone. If you go, hike Fern Canyon trail which has been used in filming Jurassic Park. The redwood parks north of Prairie Creek have also been used for Star Wars.
January 23, 2013 07:04PM
QITNL
I want to find this tree, I could use some help.

I'm the little guy waving, aged 5, summer of '69. Dad tossed us in the station wagon and we drove from IA to CA. If I remember our itinerary correctly, this shot was taken on our way from Yosemite to LA. Mariposa grove, possibly? - Just a guess.

By the way, if you want to pose there with your grandchild, I'm pretty sure that the root area around the tree is fenced off these days...
January 23, 2013 07:16PM
Thanks! Awesome! You nailed it!

No grandchildren (I'm not that old!) but if you happen to see a similar photo with some doofus waving back at his dad, assume it was Photoshop. Honest!

Cheers!
January 23, 2013 07:25PM
Oh, and just for fun, a few more shots from that vacation:

January 23, 2013 08:02PM
Those old pictures are great! We have pictures of my husband and his family on a trip to Rocky Mountain NP when he was 13. When we took our son, we tried to take pictures at the same spots. It brought back old memories for my husband and we made new memories for us.
January 23, 2013 10:07PM
chickon beat me to it, he is absolutely correct - it's about 30 yards away from the museum in the mariposa grove. though i'm not sure what its name may be. excellent pics, thanks for sharing.

(a little more info - - - there are a lot of named trees in the mariposa grove and many unnamed as well)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 10:08PM by marmot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login