Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Talk to me about Camp 4

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Talk to me about Camp 4
February 04, 2013 06:48AM
I have never stayed there and only briefly glanced at it driving by, so I have some questions as I am thinking about going next week when I have a week off work.

1. I know you walk to the sites, is it feasible to bring as much stuff as I do car camping to my site? Small table, coleman two burner stove and basket of cooking supplies, 5 gallon propane tank, lantern and connection tree, small bbq grill, chair (s), ice chest, etc.

2. Is there a tent size max?

3. How close will my car be? I ask because I like to run an electric cord from my car on an inverter to charge my phone and camera batteries at night. Can I do that in Camp 4?

4. Are there picnic tables where I can set up my stove and bbq grill and just leave them (bbq goes in bear box after use)

5. How close are the bear boxes?

If after reading all this you think I am nuts and need to go to UP, feel free to say so, but I am trying to do this trip CHEAP!
avatar Re: Talk to me about Camp 4
February 04, 2013 08:14AM
I haven't camped there, but have walked through a few times. I can take a crack at 3 of your questions...

1) You're walking about 100 yards, give or take, from the car to your site over relatively flat ground.

3) See 1...doesn't seem realistic. I'd assume you'll have Yosemite Falls Trail hikers around despite the 'camper parking only' signs.

5) Bear boxes are at the campsite, but are shared.

...then before I posted I googled and found the YNP page on Camp 4...there are tables.

Camp 4 Webpage.
February 04, 2013 08:24AM
It's very quiet now. So just go do a walk thru and sus it out.
It should work fine... just forget the extension cord.
And leave the circus tent at home. Any other size tent will be fine.
Again, it's very quiet now. Not many people at Camp 4.

** disclaimer... I'm with Tom here... never stayed here. I usually camp UP
(as in UP on Eagle Peak, El Cap, etc... etc)
(it's free up there baby) wink

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 04, 2013 08:47AM
If you don't mind people camping RIGHT NEXT TO YOU, its not too bad of a spot. Only 4-5 dollars per head I think.
I stay there often, but the sites themselved are quite small and can have up to 6ppl(even if in different parties) in the same small site. There are a few sites in Camp 4 that do have a little space and if you position correctly you can have a little space. But it is winter time, and Camp 4 is less used than Upper Pines and other sites this time of year(in my opinion).
February 04, 2013 09:42AM
chick-on
Again, it's very quiet now. Not many people at Camp 4.

I only saw one tent there last Friday.
February 04, 2013 09:06AM
Ok thanks. I can charge in the car. I am cheap and unless I can get my senior citizen friend to go and get half off sites in UP (upper pines for the chikin) then I will use camp 4. I doubt it will be very crowded this time of year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 09:07AM by hotrod4x5.
February 04, 2013 09:20AM
As I said... it's very quiet.

That will change come the time of The Insanity That is Firefall though.

February 04, 2013 01:27PM
hotrod4x5
Ok thanks. I can charge in the car. I am cheap and unless I can get my senior citizen friend to go and get half off sites in UP (upper pines for the chikin) then I will use camp 4. I doubt it will be very crowded this time of year.

Every time I've been there I see people using the outlets in the bathrooms to charge phones, etc.
February 04, 2013 03:00PM
Thanks Chicago, I suppose that is an option too. Although I would feel leary leaving my expensive smart phone unsupervised.
February 04, 2013 09:21AM
I just found a youtube video on camp 4. It looks like there is a road, can you drive up to unload?
February 04, 2013 09:44AM
hotrod4x5
I just found a youtube video on camp 4. It looks like there is a road, can you drive up to unload?

No, you can't drive into the campground. Schlepping is the only way to get stuff to your site.
February 04, 2013 10:05AM
I believe the road has a locked gate so you will need to haul all your stuff from the parking lot. The site nearest to the parking might be only 100 yards away, most of the 35 sites are much farther.
Stayed a number of times in the winter, sometimes it is almost deserted, more often it is crowded enough that the sites have to be shared among friends and strangers. These are six person shared sites, so make sure there you leave enough room in your campsite for others to share the tent space, bear boxes and picnic table. You might be more comfortable at a regular car camping spot in Upper Pines where you have your own site with its parking spot, tent space, bear box and picnic table.
February 04, 2013 10:26AM
Thanks Katy. I plan to stay at least 3 nights possibly as much as 5, so upper will be too costly.
February 04, 2013 12:37PM
Well my senior friend can't go so camp 4 it is. Think I'll bring my convertible dollie to schlep my stuff.
February 04, 2013 03:10PM

No big tents? Check out that behemoth at 2:43!
February 04, 2013 03:28PM
This is a circus tent:

And my apologies. I should explain more at times. Really I meant that you can bring just about any
size tent you want. No problem. But if you have a circus tent.. maybe not so.

Have fun

February 04, 2013 04:11PM
OHHH You actually meant circus tents! Well crap, I will have to leave my Cal King bed at home too I guess.
February 04, 2013 04:31PM
Yes, leave the Cal King at home. Bring the water bed.

February 04, 2013 05:25PM
I don't know about the water bed. It is supposed to get cold and the water might freeze.

Seriously. I hate to schlep things back and forth from my car from a distance. If it was me, I would leave the BBQ grill, table, propane tank and lantern and connecting tree ( take a smaller lamp) at home and take just what you really need.
February 04, 2013 08:53PM
You don't put cold water in it silly.

February 04, 2013 11:05PM
parklover

I don't know about the water bed. It is supposed to get cold and the water might freeze.

Just a quart of Prestone Anti-freeze or a pound of rock salt would keep the waterbed from freezing. wink

February 05, 2013 10:43AM
plawrence
Just a quart of Prestone Anti-freeze or a pound of rock salt would keep the waterbed from freezing. wink

And the body will be preserved at the morgue?
February 04, 2013 07:25PM
It's six people per site so you can have up to six tents or one big one serving six people.

Old Dude
February 04, 2013 08:17PM
I stayed there years ago but it was summer and at the time it was called sunnyside. If you stay there make sure to take a crack at ride the lightning, ask the camp host for pointers
February 04, 2013 08:44PM
No camp host this time of year. Self Reg.

February 05, 2013 12:02AM
I think you mean this.

February 12, 2013 07:01AM
I have stayed a fair share in Camp 4. The pics already posted pretty much sum it up. It is, after all, a climbing crowd. Heavy parties in camp once the bars close. Ha. The clinking and clanging all around in the middle of the night - not a place for a good nights sleep. My daughter and I have stayed there on a whim...no reservations anywhere and need a place to throw down a bag for a few hours. Always seem to be able to walk up, start talking, and before long able to scratch out a spot with those that did register. One thing I will add that I haven't seem on this thread yet is theft. Been many a case of missing items from bear boxes and in no way would I leave a cell phone in the head (I don't own a cell phone, but if I did I wouldn't leave it charging in the head).

Flip
February 12, 2013 07:15AM
No cell phone?I thought I was the only Luddite on this forum.
February 07, 2013 12:01PM
ryanmj
...make sure to take a crack at Midnight lightning, ask the camp host for pointers

Fixed that for you grinning smiley

Don't let the video QITNL (hey buddy!) posted of Lynn Hill fool you, V8 is no joke. The start holds are small as and will destroy your finger tips in a big damn hurry if you arent a reasonably strong climber already. That being said, I'm rather looking forward to pulling down on that thing next time I make it out there. I'm no V8 clmber but I can handle 7's. I'd be happy to make the first two moves before plummeting back to earth smiling bouncing smiley

Here are a few shots from our little session

February 11, 2013 03:57PM
Midnight lightning thats the one. Not the first time ive got it confused with the metallica song. Havnt tried it yet but I plan on falling off of it a few times this summer
February 11, 2013 06:44PM
[
I'm here in camp 4. I brought a dolly and hauled everything I mentioned!
February 12, 2013 03:17AM
Just watch out for that ice.
February 12, 2013 06:53PM
It's not that big!
February 12, 2013 06:48AM
I expect some pictures of the clowns and elephants.

February 12, 2013 07:51AM
Looks like it was a beautiful day. Nice and sunny!

(Though the forecast was for a pretty chilly day (at least in the morning).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login