All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Day hike suggestions for next week
February 07, 2013 07:50AM
I'll probably do Upper Yosemite falls one day , and visit the ice cone and maybe drive to Mariposa grove one day. Looking for other ideas. I have snow shoes and am a decent hiker. I've done old bof road from the base of El Cap but never found the switchbacks, so I might try that. I've been to Nevada fall in summer, maybe again now. Idk

Suggestions?
Re: Day hike suggestions for next week
February 07, 2013 08:44AM
IMHO you can't go wrong with the Snow Creek Falls trail combined with the Mirror Lake/Tenaya Canyon loop. Good sun exposure in the winter, and you can generally get to the nice flat area at 6600' w/o requiring snowshoes. (A cold storm which could lower the snow line is coming in today/tomorrow, but it looks like it won't drop much snow...)
February 07, 2013 07:31PM
Thanks I have never done that trail, I may give it a go.
avatar Re: Day hike suggestions for next week
February 07, 2013 10:25PM
We did the Mirror Lake/Tenaya Creek loop last Saturday. It was in snow and ice for about half of the trail. Use YakTrax or similar. The rock slide zone was otherworldly in the snow. I recommend that hike.
February 07, 2013 11:55PM
Paris92
We did the Mirror Lake/Tenaya Creek loop last Saturday. It was in snow and ice for about half of the trail. Use YakTrax or similar.

Even on the Valley floor last week I could see using Yaktrax. And they were wonderful at the Mariposa Grove.
February 09, 2013 09:33AM
Could not agree more. Or ice skates...
February 08, 2013 06:33AM
Yaktrax are great, I agree. Thanks for the hike suggestion Paris.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2013 06:34AM by hotrod4x5.
February 08, 2013 07:14AM
To Nevada can mostly be in the shade this time of year.
If it's really cold (doesn't look like it will be next week)...
well... as long as you keep moving... even close to 0 is
not a problem... YMMV

Any trail on the north side is sunny and nice.
If you plan on going TO the cone... um... take ur hikin
stix... you'll thank me.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 08, 2013 03:58PM
I'll have my stix, thanks chikin.
February 08, 2013 04:52PM
Actually... you'll probably want an umbrella too... if you really are going TO the cone.
And the zig down to it... it filled with snow... so... you may change your mind
Maybe you can work down on the right w/o dealing with the snow... I just went right
down the snow when I went down there.... YMMV

In case you have no idea wth I'm talking about... well... here's a video from last Saturday to
perhaps help you out:

Have fun

February 09, 2013 09:36AM
It was sunny and warm on the north side last Sunday. With hardly any snow. The south side was much different. Curry was completely iced over on the ground.
February 09, 2013 11:03PM
I should be heading to the park for a quick over-night stay this coming week. I've never done the mirror lake/tenaya creek trail, so I'll probably be checking that out. I heard recently that mist trail might have closed due to bad conditions. Anyone been through there recently? (not looking for the smart ass "check the NPS website" response)
February 09, 2013 11:14PM
When there last weekend I think we were told it was closed.
February 10, 2013 01:11PM
It usually closes when it starts getting icy... and stays closed until spring-ish

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,62878,62878#msg-62878

February 10, 2013 01:28PM
Thanks. I've arrived at the park and asked about closures before and some of the rangers just looked at me like I was asking them where Waldo was. So this is why I'm asking here.

Now, are these MANDATORY closures, like we can't go at all? or are they a proceed at your own risk kind of closure?
I've done Mist Trail in all conditions except snow/ice. I personally feel I'd be up to the task, but wouldn't know until I got there.

We'll most likely be staying at Upper Pines(because the only tent i have readily available is quite large and we'll need some space).
I know it's closer to Mist Trail and Mirror Lake. I'm almost leaning more toward Mirror Lake because for some reason it's one of the few trails there I HAVEN'T done.

ALSO, does anyone know the status of viewing "Fire Falls"?
I know it is supposed to be viewable in Feb-March time period, but IDK if it is too early to see. Forecast says it will be clear until Sunday, but that doesn't mean the sun will be in the right spot.
If it IS viewable at this time of year, can someone recommend a good spot to watch/take picture?

Once again I appreciate all of your help and input. Maybe I will see some of you out there this week.
February 10, 2013 02:43PM
I don't think they can actually stop you. How would they?
Just think about all the stuff rock climbers and other daring-dos do.
(Skiing Clouds Rest comes to mind)
If you have the right equipment and right conditions and experience
and noggin on your head ... then most of the year not a problem.
If there is ice accumulation you are taking a risk. Mainly it's falling ice
that is a big issue. And as the day progresses... that risk can
increase drastically. RIGHT NOW... I would be ok going up Mist.
If you look at the picture of us going up with all that ice... well...
it was not that bad at the start... and it just kept getting worse and worse...
and it came to a point where it was MUCH safer to just continue
up than it was go go back down (we were carrying backpacks).
Crampons would have been in order then.
Was it stupid? Probably
Could we have died? Definitely
So... now we are really careful and mindful of it. But I seriously doubt
they could even fine you if you went over a closed trail sign.
As far as I know... ANY hiking you do in the park... you do at your
own risk.

Have fun and be safe

February 10, 2013 02:46PM
O... and Firefall is always around the 20th of Feb. and 20th of October.
General rule of thumb... Weather permitting of course.

Usual spot to see it is from picnic area between 3 Bros. and El Cap Crossover
on Northside... although another good spot MAY be Cath Beach Picnic area..
although that is looking almost straight on... so maybe not.

February 14, 2013 12:43AM
chick-on

O... and Firefall is always around the 20th of Feb. and 20th of October.
General rule of thumb... Weather permitting of course.

Based on my experience, it's a three week window starting around Feb 10th and ending around March 2nd, weather permitting.

chick-on

Usual spot to see it is from picnic area between 3 Bros. and El Cap Crossover
on Northside... although another good spot MAY be Cath Beach Picnic area..
although that is looking almost straight on... so maybe not.

Northside Drive has more easy viewing locations starting from the El Capitan Picnic Area and including most clearings up to about 2,000' east of the picnic area.

On Southside Drive the only easy viewing location would be by the Merced's south riverbank roughly 1/2 mile west of the Swinging Bridge parking lot.

(There's two parallel small pullouts on Southside Drive at this location.)

February 10, 2013 07:39PM
chick-on
I don't think they can actually stop you. How would they?
Many years ago I was with my then step family (3 kids and wife) and we were hiking (walking) the lower Yosemite Falls loop. Well, it was under construction and closed just past the bridge. I told my ex wife, we are allowed to go off trail if we want, it's our national park! So we got maybe halfway back towards the new bathrooms when we encountered workers who questioned us about why we had gone around the signs. My ex, ever the diplomat, laughed and said, it's his fault, he has the Forest Gump mentality, "stupid is as stupid does." They laughed at her and we continued on our way.

I know they couldn't really have done anything (probably), but they did seem to indicate that what we had done was prohibited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 07:39PM by hotrod4x5.
February 10, 2013 08:01PM
Nice.... how your wife had your back... or put a knife in it...

If I knew the trail was being currently worked on and workers were present
then I wouldn't go on the trail. Much the same as the horse trail that
connects to the JMT. I frequently take this trail to avoid the crowds... but
once the mule rides up to Clark Pt. start up... I don't.
If we go up Mist when it is closed and someone follows us... then
we normally make sure they have the proper gear.
But... believe me... that gate is jumped like there is no tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 08:03PM by chick-on.
February 10, 2013 08:30PM
chick-on
Much the same as the horse trail that connects to the JMT. I frequently take this trail to avoid the crowds...

Just took that trail for my first time. It was a nice change and I didn't see anybody at all.
February 12, 2013 02:16AM
eeek
chick-on
Much the same as the horse trail that connects to the JMT. I frequently take this trail to avoid the crowds...

Just took that trail for my first time. It was a nice change and I didn't see anybody at all.

I very much enjoy the Horse Trail also, some nice Dogwoods when they're blooming, but you do have to pass multiple signs going up, that indicate you're not supposed to be walking up the road.

One time I was just starting to hike up it with a 50# pack and was 'asked' by a ranger that drove by to turn back. Ended up going back to the road, crossing the bridge, and starting up the regular trail with all google eyed tourists, grumble.

Might be better to come down it. Then you've got the plausible excuse 'What signs? I didn't see any ( doe eyed blank look )"
(or is there a sign at the junction? I usually cut downhill from the 'comfort station' to catch the horse trail )
February 12, 2013 04:21AM
Leaving in a couple hours. Doubt someone will see this in time, but is 120 from manteca to the valley floor open, and do you need chains?
February 12, 2013 05:57AM
JamesMac
Leaving in a couple hours. Doubt someone will see this in time, but is 120 from manteca to the valley floor open, and do you need chains?
yes and no

but.. 2093720200 then 1 and 1 is best

have fun

February 12, 2013 07:14AM
qumqats
eeek
chick-on

I very much enjoy the Horse Trail also, some nice Dogwoods when they're blooming, but you do have to pass multiple signs going up, that indicate you're not supposed to be walking up the road.

One time I was just starting to hike up it with a 50# pack and was 'asked' by a ranger that drove by to turn back. Ended up going back to the road, crossing the bridge, and starting up the regular trail with all google eyed tourists, grumble.

Might be better to come down it. Then you've got the plausible excuse 'What signs? I didn't see any ( doe eyed blank look )"
(or is there a sign at the junction? I usually cut downhill from the 'comfort station' to catch the horse trail )

There's at least one sign on the road... and at least one sign on the trail...
Possibly if you went to HI Nature Center to rockfall signs... then zigged on
road and stayed on it to the water tank .. then... well... I think you get the point.
You're going on a trail that is signed just fine that you should stay off
it during the time of year when the mule trips are going on. Can't stress that enough.
If mule rides going... take the JMT. Unless you are going up Illilouette Canyon...
that's different and quite OK.
I've run into rangers on the trail. Never had an issue.
(and yabba dabba doo... Comfy Station Cutoff is the way to go) wink

Finally checked out the old diversion pipe and dam when was in the area last Dec.

February 12, 2013 07:00PM
Well I made it down to the snow cone today. Wasn't too hard. I did get confused trying to find my way back after hanging out down there for 3 hours. I tried to get to the cave. I had a poncho. But right when I made my attempt the wind picked up and I was getting drenched. Also the approach was steep and hairy lookin so I turned back and took a nap on a rock to dry off. All in all was a great hike. Who needs to go all the way anywho?
February 13, 2013 08:04AM
Not sure how the approach was steep and hairy if you made it down by the cone.
If you made it off the trail and down where you got all drenched... shoulda been cake.
Said to bring an umbrella...

Waiting for a picture... (and not on facebook... I quit that)

Have fun

February 10, 2013 09:24PM
chick-on
Nice.... how your wife had your back... or put a knife in it...

If I knew the trail was being currently worked on and workers were present
then I wouldn't go on the trail. Much the same as the horse trail that
connects to the JMT. I frequently take this trail to avoid the crowds... but
once the mule rides up to Clark Pt. start up... I don't.
If we go up Mist when it is closed and someone follows us... then
we normally make sure they have the proper gear.
But... believe me... that gate is jumped like there is no tomorrow.

We didn't go around the barrier and walk on a closed trail. We veered right and went into the woods till we were forced to turn left because of Yosemite Creek.
February 10, 2013 01:33PM
JamesMac
I heard recently that mist trail might have closed due to bad conditions. Anyone been through there recently? (not looking for the smart ass "check the NPS website" response)

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/cm-dsc_3766.jpg.html
February 10, 2013 07:32PM
The best info about Horsetail falls is probably on Michael Frye's blog http://www.michaelfrye.com/landscape-photography-blog/ He did extensive study of the light to determine the best days and angles. He gives the two locations you can shoot it from as well.
February 13, 2013 09:16AM
February 17, 2013 02:16PM
I returned to the base of the falls 2 days after that video. I wanted to improve on my shots and this time enter the cave behind the snow cone. Here is a video I shot inside the cave. I am still working on my photos.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login