Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Even MORE big trees!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 13, 2013 08:41PM
I have always thought of Super Bowl weekend as the Great Outdoors Un-Official Holiday. In the past, I have practically owned ski resorts, parks, lakes, etc., 'cause everyone else was at the store buying munchies. After seeing all the great stories/pics about the big trees on the forum, I decided that I wanted to finally see Merced Grove (so many times I had driven buy it and not stopped to take a peek) Old Dooood has been there several times, so he was okay to drag along (as long as he got back in time to watch the 49ers lose on Sunday) With the days getting warmer and no significant amount of new snow at the time (or since) the post-holes from previous hikers suffering along really messed up the trail (good way to twist an ankle or worse) Had to switch to snow-shoes shortly after starting, because the snow was softening up even with spikes offering no help. SSs were better, BUT the layers of postholes really made it difficult at times, 'cause the toes get hooked into the holes (splat!) As I predicted, not another person to bee seen -- even at the park entrance -- no cars in the lot, and about 4 cars on 120 the whole day!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
February 13, 2013 08:56PM
Bee
As I predicted, not another person to bee seen -- even at the park entrance

It was even better during the week a couple days before. Was even able to get on a shuttle at Happy Isles with my pick of seats.
February 13, 2013 09:17PM
eeek
Bee
As I predicted, not another person to bee seen -- even at the park entrance

It was even better during the week a couple days before. Was even able to get on a shuttle at Happy Isles with my pick of seats.

Do you think that the low attendance during the week was also Super-Bowl related?

February 14, 2013 04:52PM
Bee
Do you think that the low attendance during the week was also Super-Bowl related?

Probably not. But I don't have any good way to tell.
February 13, 2013 09:09PM
Beautiful! I love the big trees. I feel some sort of reverence, awe and mystery in their presence. They are comforting for the soul!
February 13, 2013 09:15PM
Frank
Beautiful! I love the big trees. I feel some sort of reverence, awe and mystery in their presence. They are comforting for the soul!

Especially nice because there was no screaming voices, car doors, or any other racket. The lighting was superb, too: slightly broken overcast, so that there was no snow glare, yet the contour of the bark was well-lit.

February 14, 2013 07:42AM
Did someone say Supa Bowl?
raven

On Super Bowl Sunday there wasn't a single car parked at Merced Grove TH.
On way up Yose Falls trail for awhile didn't think was gonna see anyone on Sat.
Ended up passing about 4 people. Just a really nice and quiet weekend.

Tanks for sharon

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 14, 2013 07:44AM
btw... it was just a really nice weekend for the birds

raven

and

basilbop

February 14, 2013 04:59PM
chick-on
btw... it was just a really nice weekend for the birds

raven

and

basilbop

Vulture
February 15, 2013 10:45AM
Here are some photos of giant sequoias that I took on Wednesday using my iPhone panorama setting. A nifty and easy way to capture an entire giant sequoia in a single photograph:

February 15, 2013 11:26AM
I am seriously liking this!!! I don't have one of them extra fancy super special phones, but am aware of that feature. Does it tell you how many photos it uses to do the stitching or does it just spit out the final awesome result? I Love these. Thanks! I wonder if you were standing there and had one of those "
Aha" moments?
February 15, 2013 12:06PM
I thought about doing this when I saw someone use their iPhone to make a "paritial" panorama photo with their iPhone the other day. Usually I've used to my iPhone panorama feature to make a "full" panorama which was somewhere between a 180º to 270º photo depending how quickly or slowly I rotated my iPhone in a circle.

So when I realized I could shoot "shorter" panoramas with my iPhone the thought popped into my mind that it could be helpful in capturing in a photo a complete giant sequoia. With a little bit of practiced, it turned out pretty good results considering it's just a smartphone camera.

February 15, 2013 01:45PM
Just awesome! Tanks!

February 15, 2013 04:08PM
It IS really tedious to capture straight objects using wide-angle! I notice that the trees on the edge of the photo suffer the "barrel" effect (a bending inward) but the tree in the center is captured fantastically.

February 15, 2013 06:13PM
Bee
It IS really tedious to capture straight objects using wide-angle! I notice that the trees on the edge of the photo suffer the "barrel" effect (a bending inward) but the tree in the center is captured fantastically.

That's why we have view cameras.

Old Dude
February 15, 2013 10:01PM
mrcondron
Bee

Whut??! Zat sumthin from ze Dark Ages?

February 17, 2013 02:53PM
Bee
mrcondron
Bee

Whut??! Zat sumthin from ze Dark Ages?

Yep:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yellowstone/pa050009.jpg.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login