Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: 360° Panorama: Mirror Lake in Winter

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar 360° Panorama: Mirror Lake in Winter
February 14, 2013 08:22AM
Here's s link of a 360° panorama I made of Mirror Lake this past Tuesday:

Photosynth: Mirror Lake in Winter

February 14, 2013 10:01AM
I've always loved these 360 pictures. Do you need a special camera to do this or does the software just take a bunch of individual shots and stitch them together?
avatar Re: 360° Panorama: Mirror Lake in Winter
February 15, 2013 12:50AM
I just used my iPhone using Microsoft's Photosynth app for the iOS to take that 360º photo.

The app is also available for Windows Phone 7.5 smartphones (though not yet for Windows Phone 8 smartphones).

One can also uses a regular digital camera with Microsoft's ICE or Photosynth software that runs on their PCs Windows OS.

More information on these apps can be found here: http://photosynth.net/create.aspx
February 14, 2013 10:47AM
Awesome - Tanks

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 14, 2013 03:05PM
Cool picture.

Do you need to have snow shoes / yaktrax to go to Mirror Lake this time of the year? Am planning to be in Yosemite this weekend, was wondering if I can hike without snow shoes or yaktrax.
February 14, 2013 05:18PM
samanan
Do you need to have snow shoes / yaktrax to go to Mirror Lake this time of the year? Am planning to be in Yosemite this weekend, was wondering if I can hike without snow shoes or yaktrax.

You don't have to have Yaktrax but it wouldn't hurt to have some along.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 05:19PM by eeek.
February 15, 2013 12:41AM
samanan

You won't need snowshoes while hiking along the valley floor, but Yaktrax Walkers or STABILicers Lite traction devices would be very helpful since there are often very icy paths and trails currently in Yosemite Valley including patches of snow that have melted during the day and then refroze at night.

So bring along a pair of Yaktrax Walkers or STABILicers Lite for your shoes or boots. But snowshoes are currently not needed on the valley floor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 02:48AM by plawrence.
February 14, 2013 06:33PM
Beautiful! Thanks for posting this. Is that a rainbow to the right and below half dome or is that some lens artifact?
February 15, 2013 12:51AM
That's just flare caused by the sun being in the shot.
March 01, 2014 02:55PM
Slightly over a year (about 54 weeks) later, here's a link to the Photosynth that I took last Wednesday (Feb 26, 2014) on the sandbar by Mirror Lake:

Photosynth: Mirror Lake (Feb. 2014)

March 01, 2014 03:29PM
Is that from the same location? If it is, then that is amazing the lack of water let alone snow from the same spot---
March 01, 2014 03:51PM
No, they were taken at different locations by Mirror Lake.

Last year's photosynth was taken along the south shore of Mirror Lake looking towards the sandbar (which is covered with snow) and Mt. Watkins.

This year's photosynth was taken on the sandbar with the south shore of Mirror Lake in distance to the southeast and Mt. Watkins to the northwest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login