Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Gmap4 elevations switching from feet to meters

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Gmap4 elevations switching from feet to meters
February 16, 2013 01:29PM
I have never noticed this before, but it appears that the topo map linked to at the bottom of the page, gmap4, on the "t4 topo high" setting, has sectors with elevations in meters juxtaposed to sections with elevations in feet. Is that something that is normal, and how would one know one was looking at elevations in meters if one just zoomed in to an area that is in meters and didn't look for in congruencies in adjacent elevations? There is nothing on the page that indicates the units.

Specifically, I was following along the Pacific Crest Trail / John Muir Trail up and over Donahue Pass. The next sector south, which include Marie Lakes, Davis Lakes, Waugh lakes is all in meters. I noticed it when I started wondering how the trail suddenly went from around 11000 feet to 3000 feet. Turns out it didn't. The units just changed.
avatar Re: Gmap4 elevations switching from feet to meters
February 16, 2013 09:19PM
Isn't that just how the USGS maps in that area are? I know some of the maps in that area are in meters rather than feet.
Re: Gmap4 elevations switching from feet to meters
February 16, 2013 10:26PM
I guess that is what is puzzling to me. The Koip Peak Quad going back to 1992 shows elevations in feet, while the Mt. Ritter quad going back to 1992 shows elevations in meters. I don't understand why that would be the case, though clearly it is the case. When they are juxtaposed in a mapping program the only way one would know would be to examine the boundaries of the quad maps or to just already know the general elevations there. It's clearly been this way a long time. I've just never noticed it, and it is probably only an "issue" when viewed in these mapping programs. When looking at an individual quad, one can examine the key and see that the units are meters or feet, and the contour interval.

I guess I'm just realizing something that most others already know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login