Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Backpacker Magazine's insider guide to Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Backpacker Magazine's insider guide to Yosemite
February 21, 2013 02:43PM
http://www.backpacker.com/june_09_insiders_guide_yosemite/destinations/13135?utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter01

INSIDER'S GUIDE: YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK

With these top day, weekend, and week-long hikes, you'll see more than your fair share of Yosemite's wonders.
February 21, 2013 04:04PM
Oh shoot, they mentioned Hidden Falls!!!
avatar Re: Backpacker Magazine's insider guide to Yosemite
February 21, 2013 04:32PM
Was that your favorite secret spot?

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 21, 2013 04:39PM
YES sad smiley Now I have to find another one. The spot is not completely secret but enough that we have only seen people once while we were there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 04:41PM by parklover.
February 21, 2013 04:49PM
I wouldn't worry too much.... the link is to an article from 2009.

Although obviously people search ... b/c Rockslides TH certainly wasn't used hardly at all
until Backpacker decided to tout it one year. And I'm certain a large majority who take
it go "huh? whaaa... where's the trail!?" hehehe

Been a Backpacker Magazine subscriber for a long time now... imho it's kinda crappy.
When we did backpacking/hotel trip to Glacier I looked in the magazine thru the years and
there just wasn't much in it... I got more out of the nps website and simply just looking at
a National Geographic Map... then again... I sorta love maps. smiling smiley
Plus they just phone it on a number of issues... Gear issue, Survival Issue, ...
Takes me about 5 minutes to read the entire magazine.

OK, TMI
tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 21, 2013 05:25PM
Yeah, that is odd it is from so long ago, they just emailed it to me today.
February 22, 2013 06:56AM
I was gonna say.....I recall reading this in a dentist office a long time ago. I think Hidden Falls is still a secret....yea. smiling smiley
March 04, 2013 12:29PM
Speaking of questionable food, when might said food become available in the valley. (spring opening dates) The Loft, Village Grill and Curry buffet in particular.
March 04, 2013 01:13PM
Usually, things start opening around the end of March or the beginning of April with limited hours. Sometimes it appears to coincide with Easter vacation.
March 08, 2013 12:07AM
troutwild

Speaking of questionable food, when might said food become available in the valley. (spring opening dates) The Loft, Village Grill and Curry buffet in particular.

The world-famous Curry Pizza Deck will be open daily starting from March 22 (right now it's only open during weekends).

The Village Grill will open for the season on Saturday, April 6.

No word yet for Degnan's Loft or the Curry "All you can barf" Buffet.

February 22, 2013 01:22PM
They send e-mails about every week with various trips, tips, etc. A lot easier (and cheaper) to recycle old material than come up with new stuff that frequently.
February 22, 2013 05:22PM
What?!?!???

They mentioned Tuolumne Meadows?!??

Now EVERYONE will know!
February 23, 2013 03:54AM
Well now that my family hike out to Rancheria Falls may not be happening due to the road conditions. Is there any chance you can share hidden falls with a first time visitor to YNP? I have all the usual first timer questions...trailhead, mileage, difficulty etc. etc. I did a brief search and did not come up with much info other than there is an actual hidden falls park in CA as well!
February 23, 2013 07:26PM
It was mentioned in the Backpacker Magazine article linked in the original post of this thread.

Here's the link to the page where Hidden Falls is mentioned (in the four paragraph of the page):

http://www.backpacker.com/june_09_insiders_guide_yosemite/destinations/13135?page=2

February 24, 2013 08:29AM
D'OH!
Thanks
February 24, 2013 08:57AM
It's a reasonable good list just noting a few of many choices that would have been just as good for the intended audience...those who visit places doing little or any homework or are just entertaining first ideas for places to visit. The purpose of paper magazines is to sell magazines so they continue to receive advertising moneys and entertain the person that has an hour to pass some time before dinner or in the dentist office. A serious visitor in this day and age is going to search the web and get a long list of websites that have various information for hiking and backpacking in the park. Then some might go on Amazon and check the list of more thorough guides available and even order some topo map sets. For instance a photographer like this person is probably going to pick up Michael Frye's well crafted book.

As an old 70s twentysomething, had a subscription to the magazine since it first came out until a decade or so ago. Since then often pick up the gear issue and occasional issues. The problem with most monthly enthusiast newstand periodicals is once one has become very experienced in an activity, read and studied much, there is little on the level of usual magazine contents that are going to be of use and worth the time to read. Most magazines churn much of the same subjects over each 5 year or so period. And due to target audience, they are really not going to be to thorough. And most are not going to give away many real secrets that those locals are aware of. So much is available on the WWW that simply takes intelliegent searching. Today one can post a backpacking or road trip story on their web site (my site has several) and have far more images and detailed interesting content than is practical in paper magazines because paper costs money.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 09:01AM by DavidSenesac.
February 25, 2013 08:48PM
My favorite secret spot is the Pizza Deck at Curry. Go there. Yeah. But don't tell anybody.
February 25, 2013 08:50PM
Even better...that spot in Turlock where you can see Half Dome. And you don't have to pay the entrance fees.
March 02, 2013 10:53AM
My favorite secret spot is the Pizza Deck at Curry. Go there. Yeah. But don't tell anybody.
LOL!!! Good one!

There are a number of people on this Forum who love this pizza. To me, it's tastes like cardboard but I eat it anyway. The cafeteria at Curry's Village serves the worst food I think I have EVER tasted. Literally!
March 02, 2013 12:11PM
Ulysses61
To me, it's tastes like cardboard

Then you obviously didn't go on a hard enough hike. Scary face
March 02, 2013 06:56PM
Ulysses61

The cafeteria at Curry's Village serves the worst food I think I have EVER tasted. Literally!

It's definitely in the top five all-time worst places that I've dined at (in regards to the taste of the food).

March 02, 2013 07:03PM
plawrence
Ulysses61

The cafeteria at Curry's Village serves the worst food I think I have EVER tasted. Literally!

It's definitely in the top five all-time worst places that I've dined at (in regards to the taste of the food).

Have you tried the Food Court at the Lodge?
March 02, 2013 08:57PM
eeek
plawrence
Ulysses61

Have you tried the Food Court at the Lodge?

Yes, many times. (There aren't too many dining options in Yosemite Valley in the winter.)

The Yosemite Lodge Food Court food is heads & shoulders above that of the Curry Village cafeteria, and that's saying a lot because the food court's food is pretty mediocre itself except for a few items.
March 03, 2013 11:00AM
I have avoided the Curry Pavilion Cafeteria for many years now. It used to be good in the 80's and early 90's but has gone down hill. To get into the Pizza controversy, we prefer the Loft's over Curry. Not so much because of taste but the fact that we have had several incidences at Curry where the pizza was either under cooked/overcooked and they put less cheese on it than they do at the Loft so that you have more crust than pizza. We have also found the service at the Loft better than Curry. One time one of the pizzas we ordered was missing a topping and they immediately made us a new one and said to keep the other one with no charge. It ended up that we had too much left over pizza to take back to the Lodge so we gave the wrong one to some guys at Lost Arrow. The times we had issues at Curry they basically said too bad.

The Lodge cafeteria food is better than Curry's but it is hit and miss with the entrees with some being good and others bland. We usually stick with spaghetti. The burgers there are about the same as in other locations, thin patties so if you want a good burger splurge and get one at the Ahwahnee or the Wawona Hotel. We don't like the pizza there at all for it is prebaked (at Curry and the Loft they make your pizza after you order it) and has a cheese blend and some strange herb blend on it. Breakfast is the best meal at the Lodge cafeteria, the breakfast burrito and the pancakes and french toast are pretty good.
March 03, 2013 11:33AM
parklover

The Lodge cafeteria food is better than Curry's but it is hit and miss with the entrees with some being good and others bland. We usually stick with spaghetti. The burgers there are about the same as in other locations, thin patties so if you want a good burger splurge and get one at the Ahwahnee or the Wawona Hotel. We don't like the pizza there at all for it is prebaked (at Curry and the Loft they make your pizza after you order it) and has a cheese blend and some strange herb blend on it. Breakfast is the best meal at the Lodge cafeteria, the breakfast burrito and the pancakes and french toast are pretty good.

That's a good summary of the Lodge Food Court food in the spring and summer (during late fall and winter the options and selections are more limited).

I would also add that the Food Court's Philly cheese steak sandwich is usually very good as was their gyros (when they used to serve them. Havn't seen the gyros on the menu for a while though). Also they make excellent omelets the mornings they decide to offer them. I agree totally that breakfast is the best meal to have at the Yosemite Lodge Food Court. Lunch is serviceable, but dinner can often be a drag (especially in the winter and late fall).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2013 11:43AM by plawrence.
March 03, 2013 12:00PM
plawrence
parklover

That's a good summary of the Lodge Food Court food in the spring and summer (during late fall and winter the options and selections are more limited).

I would also add that the Food Court's Philly cheese steak sandwich is usually very good as was their gyros (when they used to serve them. Havn't seen the gyros on the menu for a while though). Also they make excellent omelets the mornings they decide to offer them. I agree totally that breakfast is the best meal to have at the Yosemite Lodge Food Court. Lunch is serviceable, but dinner can often be a drag (especially in the winter and late fall).

I haven't thought about the gyros in years and have not tried the Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. If we want to buy sandwiches, then we go to Degnan's. I still miss the Four Season's restaurant that was next to the Mountain Room. It was a nice moderately priced sit down restaurant with some of the same entrees that you could get at the Mountain Room but at a lower price since you were not paying for the ambiance of the Mountain Room. I also miss when the Loft was not just for Pizza like it is now. It used to have great steaks and burritos and a wide variety of entrees. Ah for the good old days.

Has anyone tried the Meadow Grill at Curry? We are not usually in Yosemite valley when it is opened.
March 03, 2013 12:21PM
parklover

Has anyone tried the Meadow Grill at Curry? We are not usually in Yosemite valley when it is opened.

It's basically a clone of the Village Grill that's located in Yosemite Village. In other words, a very mediocre burger stand with a very limited menu. The food quality reminds of the old burger stands that were often found in amusement parks and carnivals. (In other words, even the burgers at McDonald's taste better.)

March 03, 2013 12:52PM
plawrence
parklover

It's basically a clone of the Village Grill that's located in Yosemite Village. In other words, a very mediocre burger stand with a very limited menu. The food quality reminds of the old burger stands that were often found in amusement parks and carnivals. (In other words, even the burgers at McDonald's taste better.)

That is disappointing, I was hoping for something better than what is at the Village Grill. Were you going to Yosemite when the coffee and internet area in Degnans served food? They used to have really good fried chicken there.
March 03, 2013 12:56PM
parklover
That is disappointing, I was hoping for something better than what is at the Village Grill. Were you going to Yosemite when the coffee and internet area in Degnans served food? They used to have really good fried chicken there.

And at one time they didn't price gouge in the Village Store. DNC seems to be on a mission to make things as bad as the market will tolerate.
March 03, 2013 01:10PM
eeek

And at one time they didn't price gouge in the Village Store. DNC seems to be on a mission to make things as bad as the market will tolerate.

That's because the Village store, especially the grocery store portion of it, is used mainly by the fulltime residents of Yosemite Valley. They would go ape-sh!t if DNC tried to do that.

But the Park Service permits DNC to gouge the tourists as much as DNC would like. Outside of possibly San Francisco, where else in California would a non-air conditioned motel room cost more than 200 per night in the middle of summer?

March 03, 2013 02:17PM
plawrence
That's because the Village store, especially the grocery store portion of it, is used mainly by the fulltime residents of Yosemite Valley. They would go ape-sh!t if DNC tried to do that.

But the air doing it.
March 03, 2013 03:02PM
plawrence
eeek

But the Park Service permits DNC to gouge the tourists as much as DNC would like. Outside of possibly San Francisco, where else in California would a non-air conditioned motel room cost more than 200 per night in the middle of summer?

DNC employees and I assume park service as well get a discount. (at least that is why I assume they show their ID at check out)
March 03, 2013 04:30PM
hotrod4x5
DNC employees and I assume park service as well get a discount. (at least that is why I assume they show their ID at check out)
Park service employees don't get a discount at DNC. I tried.
March 03, 2013 12:57PM
Yes, I remember the fried chicken.

Don't understand why DNC chooses to underutilize Degnan's as much as they do. (Or is it a decision of the Park Service?)

With park visitation so high in the summer, one would think DNC would more fully utilize their Degnan's concessions (or be permitted to do so by the NPS).

March 03, 2013 12:06PM
t's amazing how every thread here eventually turns to the food!

The loft pizza is far superior to Curry for the gourmet style crust alone. Although there was one time I think the conveyor belt was running too slow and the crust was slightly burned.

As far as the buffet at Curry. To me, it's ok. Nothing spectacular, but hell, it's all you can eat!
March 03, 2013 05:43PM
Had to sign up to comment on this immportant topic! Yosemite Village Grill now serves a salmon sand w/ sweet potato fries-better deal than the ones served at Meadow Deck & the Lodge Cafeteria!
March 03, 2013 06:45PM
Isn't it interesting that how many times we start talking about food no matter what the thread is about?

What is on the salmon sandwich in addition to the salmon? Is it a salmon cake or an actual slab of salmon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2013 06:46PM by parklover.
March 03, 2013 10:52PM
parklover

What is on the salmon sandwich in addition to the salmon? Is it a salmon cake or an actual slab of salmon?

Darn! If I'd known you were going to ask, I would've looked more closely. It's billed as a salmon burger and I remember it as a cake or patty

I pack a real lunch when I can (and usually eat it on the trail), but I do end up eating at the Village Grill maybe once a year and usually get the salmon burger. Of the fast food choices in the Valley, I like it about the best.

The Grill is another story. McDonald's, minus golden arches, plus ground squirrels prowling under every table.
March 03, 2013 11:35PM
gophersnake
parklover

Darn! If I'd known you were going to ask, I would've looked more closely. It's billed as a salmon burger and I remember it as a cake or patty

I pack a real lunch when I can (and usually eat it on the trail), but I do end up eating at the Village Grill maybe once a year and usually get the salmon burger. Of the fast food choices in the Valley, I like it about the best.

The Grill is another story. McDonald's, minus golden arches, plus ground squirrels prowling under every table.

The Grill ?

Don't know of any eating establishment inside Yosemite called "The Grill".

There are three dining establishments inside Yosemite with "Grill" in their name though:

The Village Grill (located in Yosemite Village)
The Meadow Grill (located in Curry Village)
Tuolumne Meadows Grill (located in Tuolumne Meadows)

March 04, 2013 12:36AM
plawrence
The Grill ?

Don't know of any eating establishment inside Yosemite called "The Grill".

gophersnake
... I do end up eating at the Village Grill maybe once a year ...
March 04, 2013 02:00AM
gophersnake

... I do end up eating at the Village Grill maybe once a year ...

Yes, but here's your complete quote:

gophersnake

... but I do end up eating at the Village Grill maybe once a year and usually get the salmon burger. Of the fast food choices in the Valley, I like it about the best.

So on one hand you talk specifically about the Village Grill and how it's the fast food choice you like the best inside Yosemite Valley. Then in the next paragraph you state “The Grill is another story.”

So my question is: which Grill is the other story (if the Village Grill is your first story)?

March 04, 2013 01:01PM
Oh, sorry! It was really the same story continued. I meant, I like the salmon burger but don't much care for the Village Grill ("Grill", for short) where it's sold.

--------------------
"I like grils!"

"You mean you like girls."

"What about us grils?"
March 04, 2013 01:19PM
Got it! Now it makes sense.
March 04, 2013 06:32PM
My buddy got a salmon burger at the Lodge Cafeteria about 8 years ago. It was a pressed patty from ground salmon, presumably from a can. The "chef" made him a double patty because one had fallen apart, so he smashed it into the one he was about to cook. (I was standing there, ordering a beef burger) Point is, I would assume the "new" salmon burger is nothing but the same thing they have had for a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 06:33PM by hotrod4x5.
March 04, 2013 11:43PM
Why would ANYONE be eating fake SALMON in Yosemite when Curry Pizza Deck is available? I'm not sure I'll ever be able to eat salmon in the Lower 48 again.

March 04, 2013 01:37AM
parklover
What is on the salmon sandwich in addition to the salmon?

Why do you assume there's salmon? Grinning Devil
March 04, 2013 01:09PM
eeek

It's salmon-colored and tastes a lot like salmon. So color me gullible. tongue sticking out smiley

If I were a gull, on the other hand, I wouldn't care what was in it.
March 04, 2013 01:10PM
eeek
parklover
What is on the salmon sandwich in addition to the salmon?

Good Point. Ingredients could be questionable.
March 03, 2013 06:48PM
yummm Feed ME!
March 04, 2013 12:51PM
The Twinkies and Zingers were usually fresher at the Village Store vs. those sold at Curry or Housekeeping! tongue sticking out smiley
March 11, 2013 09:58AM
old timey memories...as a Curry Co employee, you'd show your ID for a discount on food and merchandise...I got a whopping 10% but I think there were different levels of discounts. You could also take advantage of employee meals. Rent for the dorm room was $12 (a week, I believe) and you got a cleaning allowance for your uniforms.

Most of you have seen the constant change of the facilities around in the valley. I worked in the lodge gift shop when, I think, it was it's best configuration. It was floor to "into the ceiling" windows...nice and bright. Tshirts were sold across the hall in what was called the sport shop and is now a private meeting room. Now there are more solid walls...more space to put merchandise up. Squirrels would come in and chomp on the lowest packages of cookies on the rack, so we had the "freshest" prepackaged baked goods, due to replacing the stock. (We put our favorites down low so we could benefit from the little cookie monsters.)

As for the latest "improvement" I've witnessed...who's brilliant idea was it to put in those high tables and bar-type chairs in the indoor Curry Pizza seating area? Those have to be the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever sat on!
March 11, 2013 10:06AM
hikerchick395

...so we had the "freshest" prepackaged baked goods...

AKA "Twinkies" et al. wink

hikerchick395

As for the latest "improvement" I've witnessed...who's brilliant idea was it to put in those high tables and bar-type chairs in the indoor Curry Pizza seating area? Those have to be the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever sat on!

It's a common tactic for restaurants that want fast turnover of their tables (so people don't linger after eating their meal) to install chairs that aren't very comfortable, so I'm not surprised that DNC installed those bar type chairs. Seating space is often at a premium at the world-famous Curry Pizza Deck, especially during the winter when there's only limited indoor seating.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login