Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Road to Hetch Hetchy

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Road to Hetch Hetchy
February 22, 2013 04:09AM
I read on another forum that there was a big slide on the road to HH and it may not be open until late June. Is the NPS site the best site for up to date info on this? My family has a permit for an overnight to Rancheria Falls on 6/29. Just trying to make new plans if i need to. Thanks
February 22, 2013 04:29AM
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,61986,61986#msg-61986

According to HetchyConnection your chances aren't good.
I know nothing more... he will probably post...

Calling road info may provide clues over time.
Pretty sure right now it just says "indefinitely".

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 22, 2013 06:49AM
You may be okay with a 6/29 date but there is no guarantee. I suppose there is some chance that some sort of emergency project can be approved by the City. This looks to be a very large scale repair. Even if done by outside contractors, it’s gonna be awhile.

Also, lighting struck the Hetchy transformer rendering the compound without power. It is going to be a long time before power is even restored.

I will keep this board updated with the latest road repair news.

Flip

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 11:24AM by HetchyConnection.
February 22, 2013 12:39PM
HetchyConnection
ighting struck the Hetchy transformer rendering the compound without power. It is going to be a long time before power is even restored.

That's a bit ironic.
February 22, 2013 08:01AM
Thanks! I guess we will have to play it by ear. I would hate to finally make it out there and miss HH!
February 22, 2013 09:12AM
There's enough other stuff to see in Yosemite that you won't be bored!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
February 22, 2013 10:18AM
I like Hetch-Hetchy for a spring trip and have been wondering if it would be possible to park at the Hetch-Hetchy entrance gate and walk in?
Two issues come to mind though:
Are there good parking spots so you are not blocking the roadway?
Would the entrance gate still be staffed so they could issue you a permit?
February 22, 2013 11:30AM
KatyAnderson
I like Hetch-Hetchy for a spring trip and have been wondering if it would be possible to park at the Hetch-Hetchy entrance gate and walk in?
Two issues come to mind though:
Are there good parking spots so you are not blocking the roadway?

I was planning a visit to Hetch-Hetchy this Spring as well and have basically the same question.

Also, would I be able to ride a mountain bike from a parking spot at the HH gate to the BPCG (I know it's physically possible even if I have to carry the bike around the slide but will rangers allow it)?
February 25, 2013 10:09AM
twarfield
Also, would I be able to ride a mountain bike from a parking spot at the HH gate to the BPCG (I know it's physically possible even if I have to carry the bike around the slide but will rangers allow it)?

Bicycles are not allowed on the road when the gate is closed.

Period

February 25, 2013 01:30PM
So it the road closed at Mather or can you drive to the trail-heads at the entrance station and are they issuing permits for hikes starting from there?

Old Dude
February 25, 2013 02:19PM
mrcondron
So it the road closed at Mather or can you drive to the trail-heads at the entrance station and are they issuing permits for hikes starting from there?
It is closed at the gate which is at Mather. The same gate which closes every night.
You cannot drive to the trailheads off of Hetch Hetchy Road.

Right at 120/Evergreen road they plastered a big red CLOSED sign.
I guess that wasn't clear enough so they made a custom one that now says
something like "Road is closed at Mather" or "Road Closed - No access to Hetch Hetchy"
or something similar.

February 25, 2013 02:51PM
chick-on

It is closed at the gate which is at Mather. The same gate which closes every night.
You cannot drive to the trailheads off of Hetch Hetchy Road.

Right at 120/Evergreen road they plastered a big red CLOSED sign.
something like "Road is closed at Mather" or "Road Closed - No access to Hetch Hetchy"
or something similar.

Is Base Line Camp Road open and its trailhead accessible?

(I presume it will be by summer, if not earlier. Not sure about it during the winter.)

February 26, 2013 08:57AM
OK, you've got my attention. Where is Base line Camp Road and its TH?
February 26, 2013 09:41AM
KatyAnderson
OK, you've got my attention. Where is Base line Camp Road and its TH?

I believe Base Line Camp is ~2 miles east of Mather--on the topo map, it's the end of a spur road that leads to a water tank (WT).
February 26, 2013 10:36AM
Ok... I wrote this to Mr. Lawrence...

me
Baseline is not well known, if at all. Have you been there?
I'll bet you that you walk in to a ranger station at the begining of season
and say Base Line Camp and it's a good chance they go "huh?".
Self Reg is obviously a non-issue...

I mentioned it here... to the sound of crickets:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,62905,62920#msg-62920
In there I explictly mentioned HH closed only being a minor inconvenience.
No one asked anything else.... and not even a thank you after last response.

Baseline Camp TH is not "open" until the forest roads are open... which is around April 15th.
And not sure I'd even drive there with my Chick-on mobile...

There is not munch of any real parking spots... it's a dirt road that just ends 1S32 or something like that.

Good luck
(there's other trails right from Mather)

February 26, 2013 04:08PM
Thanks guys!

I am familiar with Mather as we've been to family summer camp there a couple of summers. Even think I recall that water tank, somewhere, all fenced in I seem to remember, hmm, maybe that's a different one.
On the map it looks like Highway 120 to Evergreen, Evergreen to Evergreen lodge, then onto a little one-lane-at-best-dirt-road named 1S32 to 1S19 to where it ends at a gate.
So this is Base Line Camp Road TH. Wonder how they came up with the trail head quota on this one?
February 26, 2013 05:07PM
The gate is the park boundary. Wrong water tank.
Base Line water tank and pipes are in good condition. Not surround by any fencing..
The water tank by Mather RS is a pile or rubble now.
Hiked by or parked at TH... a few times... have never seen anyone.
Actually... it's pretty rare to see anyone cept at Smith Meadow, Smith Peak, or Lookout Pt.

I guess even if it became popular this year... It prob. wouldn't become Rockslides like BP Magazine ending up causing...
It would quickly fade... since parking is terrible... The road isn't great. And the trail... well... I've said it's fine and dandy
in the past... and then someone goes and decides to hike in shorts... and bumps into a bit of shrub... scratches their
legs .. and complains.

Anywho... you can just hike from Mather too. It's still about < 10 miles or so to Smith Peak.

February 22, 2013 03:04PM
KatyAnderson

My guess: No.

But it really wouldn't be a big inconvenience in regards to obtaining a wilderness permit since one can obtain wilderness permits at the Hwy 120/Big Oak Flat Road Information Station (near the entrance station) too which wouldn't be a major detour for anyone heading over to Hetch Hetchy.

To me, finding a way to bypass the road closure would be the bigger issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 03:21PM by plawrence.
February 25, 2013 06:57AM
I have to assume not many are paying attention:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,62461

Just a saying.

tongue sticking out smiley

February 23, 2013 02:19AM
Thanks to HetchyConnection for the info, that was exactly what I was wondering as I had a few days off next week and was wondering what the state of the road into Hetchy was.
February 28, 2013 06:03AM
WOW! You guys are awesome! What a fantastic source of never ending knowledge! Sadly i spend wayyy too much time wading through this vast sea of options, opinions and what i think may be smart azz comments that i dont quite understand. All of these pictures and stories just lead me to more questions and hightened anticipation for myself and my family to see this far away and magical place. From what i read it doesnt sound too likely that the road to HH will be fully repaired by the end of June. SOOOO... If the gate is closed at Mather does this mean you are not supposed/allowed to hike to say Smith Peak from the TH near the entrance for an overnight? Thanks in advance to all!
February 28, 2013 06:47AM
It's pretty simple for this one. (and don't take it as smart arse... )
By June the period where you can just walk up to Big Oak Flat
entrance station and write yourself a permit has long passed.
You are required to have a permit to spend the night so you will
have to go and talk to a ranger and obtain a permit. At that
time they will either issue the permit or not. If they don't then
they un-dooob-a-dib-ly will tell you that the area is closed to all
hiking...
If you are dayhiking pretty much you can park anywhere along
(and off) a National Forest Road (heck you can park there
overnight) and hike to your hearts content, trail or no trail.

Hope this makes sense

If you've never been in Yosemite Valley itself... or to the park period...
then I would recommend to nix the plan for Smith Peak.

Have fun whatever you do

February 28, 2013 08:24AM
Smith peak was a backup since Rancheria may not happen and i had my heart set on seeing HH with my own eyes. Do you feel it would be too tough a hike for some Massachusetts flatlanders? Any suggestions from someone who has apparently seen nearly every inch of YNP would be greatly appreciated. Also please dont stop with the smart arse....live it! love it! (and more pix too)
February 28, 2013 02:37PM
Quickly... if you hit "Reply" your response will line up as a "response" to what you are responding to.

Anywho...
No no no... w/r to Mass. Don't mean anything like that. I just would hate for you to go to the park
and spend perhaps too much time hiking around in the woods and miss out on some spectacular
scenery you perhaps haven't seen.

If you really want to see Hetch Hetchy... there are other ways in. You know the Mather routes now I guess.
There are a couple of others... if still have heart set on Rancheria you could start from
Lake Eleanor Dam and hike past Miguel Meadow and get a peek from above ... and then hike down
the big switchbacks and out to Rancheria.
From Lake Eleanor to the top of the switchers is about 7.5 miles. From there it's about 6.5 miles to Rancheria Cascades area.
14 Miles in June ... no problem... right? wink
On the way out it's a bit of a detour to go walk on the dam though.

If you just want to see HH reservoir from birds-eye view... there are great veiws from Smith Peak
and then also from a White Wolf trek down into Pate Valley (around Morrison Creek are great views).

Have fun trying to figure out now ... hehehe

February 28, 2013 03:10PM
Well at least i know how to reply now...teehee! Apparently there is lots more homework for me o' great and wise sensei! Not that i wont love every minute of that. Dont for a second think im done either! I have plenty more inane questions for you Mr Chick-on! I may have to post my entire itinerary for you to laugh at and give you an idea of how crazy my wife and I really are...
Thanks again
February 28, 2013 04:16PM
Crazy is good.

btw... Eye thought I was a wise arse!? Wutz an sensei? Someone with no sense?

Seriously... lots of good peeps on here with lots of ideas and just trying to help u out.
Axe away

March 01, 2013 02:49AM
Wise acre? YOU? NOOOO

1. they plastered a big red CLOSED sign.
something like "Road is closed at Mather" or "Road Closed - No access to Hetch Hetchy
2. I have to assume not many are paying attention
3. It would quickly fade... since parking is terrible... The road isn't great. And the trail... well... I've said it's fine and dandy
in the past... and then someone goes and decides to hike in shorts... and bumps into a bit of shrub... scratches their
legs .. and complains.
4. I mentioned it here... to the sound of crickets
March 01, 2013 07:05AM
Those were just the facts, sir.
tongue sticking out smiley

btw...

I donut who Pat is. But it's pretty darn kewl that He/She has a couple of fans.

(also bummed the last two years couldn't do THIS again)

raven

March 01, 2013 03:33AM
oh yeah, this was the original itinerary straight from the boss...
Here's the plan:
June 28 - Hotel
June 29 - In- Rancheria Falls
June 30 - Out of R.F. Overnight at back packers campground (Toulumne)
July 1 - In- Glen Aulin
July 2 - Stay Glen Aulin or out to back packers campground
July 3- Day hikes - Back packers campground
July 4 - In Big Oak Flat
July 5 - El Capitan
July 6 - Out of Yosemite Falls Trail - Curry Village - chill day
July 7 - In Little Yosemite Vally
July 8 - Half Dome and out to hotel
July 9 - Sequoia - Flight home at 6:30pm

It has been suggested on another forum to get a rest day in there somewhere. Past experience in other NPs has led us to believe that sheer excitement and adrenaline will keep us going until we pass out on the plane.
March 01, 2013 07:14AM
My 12 dollas worth is something like this:
- Gopher it. Done the same thing in Yellowstone and Glacer. Who wants to sit around all day?
- Since you never been... it all gonna be good... and hot baby
- I'd nix Hetch if road not open. Something like Ten Lakes BP would be nice 2 dayer.
(there are a myriad of options)
- El Cap. - usually don't tell peeps to go up Snow Creek or Yose Falls in summa... but...
I'd recommend you do that actually... instead of Big Oak (I guess maybe you mean Rockslides TH).
since with up Yose Falls... you can go up Yose Falls on day 1... find a spot to pitch...
go to Yose Falls Lookout... collapse in tent... next day... dayhike to El Cap and back...
then if you got steam... head other way to North Dome and back.. or go North Dome and
back the next day... pick up stuff... go back down Falls Trail
- Last day - Sequoia... not sure this... Sequioa NP? No. Don't do that... Drive your booty
up to Glacier Pt. and hike up Sentinel Dome / Taft Pt. hang out at GP looking at where
you went and what you still missed tongue sticking out smiley
Then drive to Wawona and go see some Sequioa Trees... stay in Wawona Hotel for treat
last day. (maybe someone like Marmot can expand on this or give other ideas)

Have fun (you can post your itinerary on a diff. post and maybe u get more ideas)
But... I'm guessing... that the boss has the final say... and is wondering wth you are doing
even thinking going against her.

And if you are actually a her... then... YOU are the Boss silly!
smiling smiley

March 02, 2013 03:38AM
I am definitely NOT her! couldnt keep up with her if i tried.
The suggestions you gave sound great, and as you said its all gonna be good, couldnt agree more. BUT...coupla things. First off im a bit anal and "need" a plan. As of right now we have permits for Rancheria in 6/29, out on 6/30. Glen Aulin in 7/1, out 7/2. OBOFR in 7/4, out Yos Falls 7/6. Maintaining flexibility is great but from what i understand the permits are not always easy to come by. If we have these permits dont we have to sorta stick to the plan or adjust the hikes to the TH? Checking my email is no longer the first thing i do when i turn my computer on! Thank You! Green Bay? Really? go-pack-go?
March 02, 2013 08:43AM
Permits are required to be followed with respect to Entry Trailhead and Entry Date. You can overstay a permit, exit at a different location, etc. You can even give a later exit date when you pick up a reserved permit (I did that once last year), but entry trailhead and date are what matters.

If the Hetch Hetchy Road is still not open you'll end up needing something else anyway (as a first-come-first-serve permit), so at the very least think of a couple backup plans. You can get your first-come-first-serve (or reserved) permit starting 11 AM the day before the hike (assuming they stick with last year's rules).
March 03, 2013 04:07AM
OK, Thanks. Do the rules change year to year? If so do i need to keep checking the NPS site? or is it easier to call?
March 03, 2013 07:29AM
Not really...the 11 AM change was implemented a few years ago (used to be anytime the day before the hike, 11 AM keeps the 'next day' folks from blocking the line for the 'same day' folks), and Yosemite permits since I've been getting them (early 1990s) have always been 'Entry Trailhead and Date are What Matters'.
March 03, 2013 01:49PM
You have to stick to whatever your reserved permit says, but you can always get a first come first served permit if you want to. Each trailhead has 40% FCFS spots available plus any unreserved spots so you can always audible your trips if you want to. Some trailheads are very popular and can be very hard to get while others not at all. There are always places open and often lots of options. Basically all the trailheads that go to Half Dome, including those from the Tuolumne to the Valley or to the JMT are the most popular and others less so. An oversimplification, but 'generally' true. Glen Aulin is your most popular trailhead and most likely to fill up. You are partially going over 4th of July weekend which makes everything busier, so it would be probably good to hammer down that last trip.

The quotas do their intended purpose and you won't see many crowds in the backcountry. You'll see crowds because of day hikers and the crowds decrease the further you are from a trailhead. I would say the MistTrail/JMT is the only really crowded trail in the valley more than a mile out or so. You'll see people on other trails but they aren't packed.

Patsfans
I am definitely NOT her! couldnt keep up with her if i tried.
The suggestions you gave sound great, and as you said its all gonna be good, couldnt agree more. BUT...coupla things. First off im a bit anal and "need" a plan. As of right now we have permits for Rancheria in 6/29, out on 6/30. Glen Aulin in 7/1, out 7/2. OBOFR in 7/4, out Yos Falls 7/6. Maintaining flexibility is great but from what i understand the permits are not always easy to come by. If we have these permits dont we have to sorta stick to the plan or adjust the hikes to the TH? Checking my email is no longer the first thing i do when i turn my computer on! Thank You! Green Bay? Really? go-pack-go?
March 03, 2013 07:03AM
The bird is the word - if Sequoia means NP, you need a jet car. No way I would do that drive, especially after all that hiking, in a day and then get on a plane. You would be lucky to get out of the car once all day.

And you left out the 11 year old. I still think it is way too much hiking for a kid.
March 03, 2013 07:50AM
yeah chick-on has suggested getting our big tree fix in Wawona. He has also pointed out that it will all be good but the never ending list of possibilities is a bit over whelming at this point. We had applied for and got the permits where we did to try to see as many different areas as we could. We are also trying to not be in the valley for an extended period because i have zero interest in bumping behinds all day with the "disney crowd". Any suggestions for overnighters from these trailheads are welcome. Thanks for your input/time AT.
not to toot my kids horn but she has done the highline-loop trail at GNP(12+ mi), Kolob arch at ZNP(14mi) as day hikes. daddys little girl is the BOMB!
March 03, 2013 09:30AM
I agree with AlmostThere about this might be too much for your daughter. While she did those long day hikes with no issues, what did you do the days before and after them? It is one thing to do a long day hike and not have done much the days before and after than to do long hikes day after day for days. Being flatlanders how much time have you spend at high altitude hiking and how did every one respond to it?

I also know how sheer excitement and adrenaline can keep you going because we are known for cramming as many things as we can on trips. Our motto is "You can always rest at home." However,I also know that it only takes one incident to put a damper on the trip. On a 18 day trip through Utah and Colorado we went to 7 National Parks, 4 National Monuments and 4 Utah State Parks but when my son got heat exhaustion at Grand Staircase Escalate and it affected our day in Capital Reef. Instead of crowding so many things in that period of time, take some time to stop and smell the roses.

As for bumping butts with the Disney Crowd, there are many places in the valley where you will not see many people. The valley is part of the experience of Yosemite, especially that time of the year with all of the waterfalls going, that you might consider spending some more time there. You are also missing out on the Glacier Point area with the hikes up there such as Taft Point and the Fissures at Taft Point and Sentinel Dome.
March 03, 2013 12:07PM
It's great that your girl is able to do long day hikes, but I would caution that backpacking will be a bit more challenging because the weight of her backpack will probably be substantially more than the weight of her daypacks (unless you're planning to be a chivalrous dad and carry most of her equipment in your backpack. wink ).

So be sure to keep the weight of her backpack in mind when planning your overnight (or multi-night) excursions into Yosemite's backcountry.

March 03, 2013 02:58PM
Day hiking is NOT backpacking, unless you are letting her carry a day pack and hauling everything of weight yourself.

People learn this in my hiking group a lot - day hiking is a skip and a dance, backpacking is more work than it appears to be. Another 5-10 lbs in the pack can be the difference between a great hike and a death march.

the correct first backpacking experience for a young'un is a short and easy one, not three strenuous back to back overnights. In fact, that's also the correct first backpacking experience for anyone, no matter their age. And if it's your first visit to Yosemite, you're also going to miss a whole lot by not spending more time exploring the frontcountry of the park, and dayhiking - a lot of the good stuff is on day hikes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2013 07:22PM by AlmostThere.
March 04, 2013 02:55AM
I know i have said this already but you guys are truly awesome! I have had some concerns about multiple overnights and had considered some days of day hikes or floating down the Merced. We did not have any problems with high altitudes in the past. Also dont let me fool you into thinking that there was no "squawking and walking" on those hikes but the overall experiences were positive. The boss and i will sit down and rethink the plan. I need to get her on this site so she can read what all the experts have to say. Thanks again for your time and consideration. Please keep it coming!
March 04, 2013 07:18AM
Wutt. Uh... 11 year old daughta?
Yikes.

Uh.. uh... Rancheria is a good starting backpacking trip.

Old Big Oak Flat Road --- to El Cap... garsh... don't do that.
So many other better options imho...
If you want to just spend night on El Cap...then go in from
Tamarack (no bear boxes)... but I think you may not like the
up from Cascade crk.
Up Yose Falls like I said... uh.. uh.. Can you carry all your
daughters gear?

I donut

Boss make this plan?

March 04, 2013 08:27AM
I think i want to change my name to Humblepie instead of patsfans. Thank goodness I started "way too early" making plans. Apparently it is back to the drawing board for us. As always thanks for your time, consideration and what may be thinning patience!
btw great pix of illoutte fall chick-on
March 04, 2013 10:48AM
Don't beat yourself up. You're plan wasn't completely amiss.

Instead of Old Big Oak Flat... maybe do something easier for your daughter... like May Lake.
Very simple backpack.

Additionally... or instead... can't stress this enough...
You NEED to take your daughter to Disneyland. Period.
Just deal with the people. Take it as part of the experience.

Def. have to hike The Mist Trail to top of Vernal Falls
and
Lower Yosemite Falls

It will be crowded... but to go to Yosemite and not experience these icons... if you like
to hike... is a mistake imho.

Have fun adjusting your plans

March 04, 2013 11:05AM
That is a great thing about starting to plan early, you can easily change things.

My son was 11 when we did that mega trip and for years before that ,we did many activity filled trips where we went from sun rise to sun set with no issues. We pushed it too much for the first three days trying to do all that was on our agenda and I can tell you that having your child sick and throwing up in the middle of nowhere with medical care hours away was a wake up call. (Not to mention the challenge of having to clean up the whole back seat area of a brand new car in 100 degree temperatures.) Capitol Reef was a total washout and we could not do all that we had planned at Canyonlands and Arches. We scaled back our plans for the rest of the trip and had a great time. We were lucky the next year that we were able to return to Capital Reef, Canyonlands and Arches and do the things that were were not able to do the previous trip.

Scale back the amount of backpacking days and take time to go experience all of the other things you can do in Yosemite. It will cut back on the "squawking and walking" and everyone will have a better experience.
March 04, 2013 11:10AM
For visiting the iconic sights or hiking the iconic trails (like the Mist Trail) within Yosemite Valley the best and simplest advice to avoid the crowds is to start your hikes early in the morning. In late June, the sunrise is around 5:40 AM (first light, dawn, is even earlier), so if you start your hikes by no later than 6:30 AM, you will see hardly anyone on the trails (including the Mist Trail) until about 8:30 AM at the earliest (if not later).

That's because the vast majority of people who visit Yosemite love to sleep in and then have a leisurely breakfast before they start off on a trail.
March 04, 2013 01:20PM
chick-on

And give this guy a hard time while you are there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland_Railroad
March 04, 2013 04:29PM
Hang on to those Glen Aulin permits. Perfect time of year for it, with the waterfalls at their best.
The hike from Tuolomne is about six miles, mostly gentle down hill. Spend two night there so you have a full day without the packs to just explore.
March 04, 2013 05:50PM
KatyAnderson
The hike from Tuolomne is about six miles, mostly gentle down hill. Spend two night there so you have a full day without the packs to just explore.

These days I prefer to start at Pothole Dome. Takes something off those six miles.
March 04, 2013 05:58PM
I'd be hesitant to send someone that-a-way that has never even seen Tuolumne Meadoze though.
(it's is FAR superior to the real trail over yonder though)

Keep the Glen Aulin fo sho
Rancheria is not a difficult first backpack trip... just camp at the cascades... not the crappy 'campground'...

March 04, 2013 10:01PM
eeek
. . . snip . . .
These days I prefer to start at Pothole Dome. Takes something off those six miles.
I've been known to rather that turning right at Parson's Lodge, to take the road past it to the sewage ponds, through the woods to the meadow, across the meadow, be prepared to get your feet wet crossing a creek, to where the river leaves the meadows. You can then follow the river till the trail meets up. I guess I'm on the opposite side of the river as when you start from Pothole.

You've got some amazing views of Unicorn and Cathedral as you cross the meadow and along the river. Doesn't save you distance. Better parking, better views. That section of the trail through the woods is boring.
March 05, 2013 06:49AM
eeek
chick-on

Iz dat ur brudder Steeeve?

March 05, 2013 09:27AM
chick-on
eeek
chick-on

Yep.
March 05, 2013 11:14AM
eeek
chick-on

Yep.

Awesome

So when u not in Yosemite, with the Disneyland family discount (free)... round and round you go... ?
Or does he throw you off the caboose for causing a ruckus?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 11:14AM by chick-on.
March 05, 2013 05:42PM
chick-on
So when u not in Yosemite, with the Disneyland family discount (free)... round and round you go... ?

The price is right.

Ruckus? Moi?
March 05, 2013 06:21PM
eeek
chick-on

The price is right.

Ruckus? Moi?

Twa

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,64001,64174#msg-64174

March 05, 2013 11:28AM
still doin some homework lookin at maps we have. we are usually up before the sun makin pbjs for the trail, scarfn some cheerios and gone so maybe we will beat the crowd! im thinking rancheria may be out unless the road gets fixed. maybe we start with some shorties, Olmstead, Tenaya Lake, May Lake or Gaylor Lakes. Thanks for your thoughts KatyA et al. The more the merrier as far as im concerned.
If we did Tuolumne Meadows/Soda Springs/Lembert Dome type loop before Glen Aulin would eeks idea of starting at Pothole Dome work out?
March 05, 2013 11:52AM
Patsfans
If we did Tuolumne Meadows/Soda Springs/Lembert Dome type loop before Glen Aulin would eeks idea of starting at Pothole Dome work out?

Not really. Pothole Dome is on the western end of Tuolumne while Lembert is more on the eastern side. You could take the shuttle if you wanted to, but if you are going to soda springs, it is probably just easier to keep walking to Glen Aulin then to walk back to the road and then wait for the bus, though it would be a little shorter. Lembert's really nice so I would suggest going up it if you have the chance and energy.
March 07, 2013 10:02AM
This is my first go around in a forum of any type so im not sure if i am supposed to start a new post of questions or just continue on this one. Snooping around has led to more questions. On another post somebody was looking for some easy hikes for his out of shape kid. I was thinking these may be good starter hikes for my 15 + 13 yr old sons and 12(by the time we get there)yr old daughter. May Lake sounds great because lots have suggested camping there and doing some packless day hikes. Also Polly dome lake, which looks like more of a day hike. Yosemite Creek was also mentioned not sure if this was to the campground. Jayabrams mentioned going to North Dome and on to Yosemite falls. If we did this as a through hike and went down the falls is hitch hiking back to the car on Tioga Road the only option outside of hiking back? The other questions is trail heads, i have been looking here http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm with limited success. I will continue my snooping and look forward to being inundated with info. PLEASE no more posts about this site being unavailable for March eeek! What else am i supposed to do?
March 07, 2013 10:19AM
Probably start a new thread.

March 07, 2013 04:34PM
new thread....sweeeet!
March 07, 2013 06:09PM
Patsfans
new thread....sweeeet!

Uh... as in... you start a new thread. (my personal feeling is you will get more responses)

March 07, 2013 01:00PM
Patsfans
This is my first go around in a forum of any type so im not sure if i am supposed to start a new post of questions or just continue on this one. Snooping around has led to more questions. On another post somebody was looking for some easy hikes for his out of shape kid. I was thinking these may be good starter hikes for my 15 + 13 yr old sons and 12(by the time we get there)yr old daughter. May Lake sounds great because lots have suggested camping there and doing some packless day hikes. Also Polly dome lake, which looks like more of a day hike. Yosemite Creek was also mentioned not sure if this was to the campground. Jayabrams mentioned going to North Dome and on to Yosemite falls. If we did this as a through hike and went down the falls is hitch hiking back to the car on Tioga Road the only option outside of hiking back? The other questions is trail heads, i have been looking here http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm with limited success. I will continue my snooping and look forward to being inundated with info. PLEASE no more posts about this site being unavailable for March eeek! What else am i supposed to do?

It is the forum that the park gives in Yosemite each month that is not available not this site.
March 07, 2013 04:32PM
Yep, figured it out after reading the replies, thanks. Just got a little scare is all. Too many questions to skip a month.
March 07, 2013 06:51PM
Patsfans

This is my first go around in a forum of any type so im not sure if i am supposed to start a new post of questions or just continue on this one. Snooping around has led to more questions. On another post somebody was looking for some easy hikes for his out of shape kid. I was thinking these may be good starter hikes for my 15 + 13 yr old sons and 12(by the time we get there)yr old daughter.

If you want more followups, it would be better if either YOU started a new thread, or you post your new questions on an existing thread that was more on-topic in regards to your new questions like the thread the HiTech started about easy backpacking destinations that his son would enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 11:57AM by plawrence.
March 08, 2013 06:52AM
OK, thanks, im working on it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login