Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Firefall covered by NY Times

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Firefall covered by NY Times
February 25, 2013 10:55PM
Yosemite Journal
Recipe for a Perfect Photo: Clear Sky, Sunset and Water

By MALIA WOLLAN
Published: February 25, 2013

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — The photographers were packed so tightly along the riverbank that they looked like paparazzi stalking a starlet. In this case the Lindsay Lohan in question was a wispy little ribbon of water falling thousands of feet down the face of El Capitan, the world’s largest single chunk of granite.

For about one week each February, the setting sun hits the water of Horsetail Fall at such an angle that it glows, looking like a stream of lava against the darkened rock.

The so-called firefall attracts hundreds of professional and amateur photographers from across the globe, who flock to Yosemite Valley to capture the ephemeral scene.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/us/seeking-perfect-sunset-at-yosemite.html?_r=0
avatar Re: Firefall covered by NY Times
February 26, 2013 01:06AM
Wherever the sun sets around this part of February, I'd also expect it to set there in mid-October. Does this "firefall" happen only in February because the waterfall is usually dry in October?
February 26, 2013 01:55AM
February 26, 2013 03:27PM
The publicity and the zoo like atmosphere of it all sickens me. Apparently the DNC loves it, because they double the room rates during that time period. (at least at the Lodge)
February 26, 2013 05:59PM
hotrod4x5
The publicity and the zoo like atmosphere of it all sickens me. Apparently the DNC loves it, because they double the room rates during that time period. (at least at the Lodge)

They were charging over $400/night at the Lodge?
February 26, 2013 08:38PM
parklover
hotrod4x5

They were charging over $400/night at the Lodge?
It was around $200+ (it wasn't for president's weekend)

The last time I got email offers it was around $109. I just checked, and March 4th is going for $123, so double is about $250

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 08:41PM by hotrod4x5.
February 26, 2013 08:25PM
DNC has always charged full summer rates during the President's Day holiday week, even before the "natural firefall" was well known.

February 27, 2013 04:04PM
hotrod4x5

The publicity and the zoo like atmosphere of it all sickens me.

It's only a zoo like atmosphere if you follow the herd.

On Sunday of the President's Day weekend, February 17th, I had this large clearing near Northside Drive with a spectacular view of El Capitan and Horsetail Fall (and Sentinel Rock too!) all to myself.

There were hundreds of other people nearby in clearings that where the views of Horsetail Fall were obstructed by the pine trees, but none ventured a little bit further to get to this clearing (which I think is the best one along Northside Drive):

Photosynth.Net: 720º Panorama of El Capitan, Horsetail Fall & Sentinel Rock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 01:54PM by plawrence.
February 27, 2013 05:44PM
plawrence
hotrod4x5

The publicity and the zoo like atmosphere of it all sickens me.

It's only a zoo like atmosphere if you follow the herd.

On Sunday of the President's Day weekend, February 17th, I had this large clearing near Northside Drive with a spectacular view of El Capitan and Horsetail Fall (and Sentinel Rock too!) all to myself.

There were hundreds of other people nearby in clearings that where the views of Horsetail Fall were obstructed by the pine trees, but none ventured a little bit further to get to this clearing (which I think is the best one along Northside Drive):

Photosynth.Net: 360º Panorama of El Capitan, Horsetail Fall & Sentinel Rock

Cool shot! Do you do that handheld?
February 27, 2013 06:12PM
Yes, it was shot handheld using Microsoft's free Photosynth app that's installed on my iPhone.

Microsoft Photosynth App for iOS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login