All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

4th of July Festivities in the Valley
March 01, 2013 10:35AM
I just got a site for the week of the 4th of July and I was wondering about any of the festivities that will be going on in the Valley. I plan on day hiking all day and coming back looking for an event. I'm sure I could find out the "ranger sponsored" events but I was hoping to find the local insight as to things going on at the Ahwahnee or some of the other fun events going on.

Any tips?
avatar Re: 4th of July Festivities in the Valley
March 01, 2013 11:51AM
I too am in the Valley on the 4th of July ( didn't plan it that way, it was just kinda an accident lol ).

I was wondering the same thing. This will be my first ever 4th of July, as I am flying over from the UK, so am eager to soak up any atmosphere or events that there may be. I understand it is quite a big holiday for you guys over there?

Do shops stay open as normal, or operate reduced hours?

Steve
March 01, 2013 03:25PM
The shops and restaurants in Yosemite operate on expanded (not reduced) hours during throughout the summer including on all federal holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day).

Don't know if there's any specific Independence Day celebrations within Yosemite National Park itself, but nearby at the Mariposa County Fairgrounds (just south of town of Mariposa) there will be an all-day Fourth of July celebration from 12:00 Noon to 10:00 PM, concluding with fireworks in the evening.

There's an admission charge to the Mariposa celebration (I think it's $6 per adult).

March 06, 2013 10:34PM
plawrence
The shops and restaurants in Yosemite operate on expanded (not reduced) hours during throughout the summer including on all federal holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day).

Don't know if there's any specific Independence Day celebrations within Yosemite National Park itself, but nearby at the Mariposa County Fairgrounds (just south of town of Mariposa) there will be an all-day Fourth of July celebration from 12:00 Noon to 10:00 PM, concluding with fireworks in the evening.

There's an admission charge to the Mariposa celebration (I think it's $6 per adult).

I went to this event about 30 years ago as a boy. It was something out of movie. Watermelon and pie eating contests......potato sack races and three legged race etc. etc.. There was an amazing ground level fireworks show in the rodeo arena with spinners and fountains. Better than any city 4th of July party for sure.
Re: 4th of July Festivities in the Valley
March 01, 2013 03:31PM
There usually are no 4th of July activities planned in Yosemite and they absolutley will not tolerate any fireworks of any kind, including sparklers. Show your American Flags and enjoy being there.
March 01, 2013 04:21PM
The Pioneer History Center in Wawona has a square dance on 4th of July and usually also have a BBQ, games, races, music and other activities. When we were in Yosemite during the 4th many years ago and they had a patriotic program at Curry but I don't know if they are still doing that and the summer guide is not out yet. Oakhurst and Bass Lake both have activities and fireworks.
March 01, 2013 09:10PM
parklover
The Pioneer History Center in Wawona has a square dance on 4th of July and usually also have a BBQ, games, races, music and other activities. When we were in Yosemite during the 4th many years ago and they had a patriotic program at Curry but I don't know if they are still doing that and the summer guide is not out yet. Oakhurst and Bass Lake both have activities and fireworks.

parklover has some great info and is correct :-) Wawona is the only place in Yosemite that officially celebrates 4th of july independence day. Our interpretative rangers set up some great events every year to occur in the pioneer history center throughout the day and come 8pm they have a nice square dance in the barn in the pioneer history center to finish off the night. They usually come up with a schedule of listed events that occur in wawona throughout the day with games and various activities smiling smiley

And as mentioned, bass lake has some great fireworks every year (though bass lake would be about 90 minutes away from the valley if that's where you're camping)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 09:10PM by marmot.
March 03, 2013 07:15AM
I'm celebrating the way i do every year - backpacking far from any of that stuff.

Never was one for huge crowds of people and loud noises.
March 01, 2013 08:02PM
A couple of years a group of hispacics (40+) had a parade singing the mexican national anthem. Maybe you'll get "lucky" and they will swing by your site
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login