Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: MLK weekend in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

MLK weekend in Yosemite
March 02, 2013 01:10PM
Sharing some pictures I finally uploaded from MLK weekend at Yosemite. The conditions that weekend were great: sunny with warm temperatures but still plenty of snow around. And due to the warm weather, the falls were flowing nicely with all the melting snow. We did some site seeing in the valley, relaxing at the Yosemite Lodge bar, and snowshoeing to Dewey Point for great views.

Dewey point was my first "real" snowshoe hike (other than short 1 to 2 mile walks in the Tahoe area). At 7.5 miles, I was concerned about how strenuous hiking with snowshoes would be at high altitude. However, I did not find it difficult at all and was clearly aided by packed snow in both the Meadow and Ridge trails. Next year, I am looking forward to more snowshoe hikes and maybe trying winter camping for the first time.

Bridalveil Falls

Meadows

Half Dome Sunset

Tunnel View

Dewey Point

El Capitan
March 02, 2013 03:28PM
Lovely photos - thanks for posting!
avatar Re: MLK weekend in Yosemite
March 02, 2013 10:14PM
Thanks for sharing the photos!

Nice to remember back when this winter looked more like winter!
March 03, 2013 07:31AM
Nice pics. Did you see people camping by Dewey Pt.?
March 03, 2013 10:09AM
Yes, I saw a large-ish group of tents to the side, right before getting to Dewey Point. Nice spot to spend a night. And it looked like an easy overnight option for winter backpacking at under 4 miles each way. I bet the sunset from Dewey point would be spectacular!
March 04, 2013 07:14AM
Tanks for Sharon.

Nice packed trail or nice consolidated snow is easy snowshoeing as you found out.
I hope that you went off trail a little bit and found some untrampled snow to see the
difference. Add a pack ... and you'll know why making miles in winter can be very difficult.

Hope you can do some winter camping. It's great fun.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login