Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sequestration

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 06, 2013 02:24PM
Dear Yosemite Community Members and Partners:

We wanted to keep you informed as we begin to feel the impacts of the March 1 sequestration just enacted. Sequestration and resulting budget cuts will have an effect on park operations and we want to keep you informed.

First and foremost, it is the park’s goal to keep you updated as this situation evolves and we receive additional guidance and direction from Washington and the regional office. At this time, we want to pass on to you several pieces of news.

With respect to the National Park Service (NPS), the sequestration calls for a 5% cut in the operating budget funds of each park; in the case of Yosemite, this represents a cut of $1.4 million in base operations. Though our park will have to cut this amount, we will not have to furlough any permanent employees. Basically, we are absorbing most of the budget cuts by lapsing positions. This budget cut will result in fewer ranger programs, reductions in resource programs, and elimination of some services from our Facilities Division. There will also be some effects on our seasonal workforce, whose contribution we heavily depend on during peak visitation throughout the summer.

Last week, Director Jarvis also indicated that a hiring freeze is now in place in NPS for both permanents and seasonals and that only mission critical travel should be undertaken; all other travel is canceled until further notice.

The Washington Office is now seeking an exemption from the hiring freeze for all seasonal hiring, including base funded seasonal positions that were included in the park’s sequestration plan. We hope to receive this exemption this week. With this exemption, we anticipate filling many of our seasonal positions in preparation for the summer season.

At this point in time, all Yosemite facilities remain open with normal operating hours. However, we will continue to evaluate the impacts of not filling the vacancies identified discussed on park operations and programs and make adjustments as necessary. Since our park partners are private entities and not government funded, services provided by them will not be affected by the sequester and will continue normal operations.

In the meantime, I want to personally thank you for your continued commitment to Yosemite during these uncertainties and hope you will reach out to me or others in the park if you have additional questions. We hope you understand we are doing everything possible to limit impacts to visitors and our employees.

Don Neubacher, on behalf of the Executive Leadership Team
March 06, 2013 02:27PM
I suspect the permanent employees will be getting some overtime.
March 06, 2013 04:41PM
If there is no money for seasonals then there is probably no money for overtime.
March 06, 2013 08:40PM
It just amazes me how difficult those who manage our federal government make it appear to institute a measly 5% across-the-board cut in their budgets. As if they budgets are lean and mean with no fat that can be trimmed off.

In the private sector, having to trim one's budget by 5% is nothing. Often, it only takes some simple measures as restricting business travel and overtime hours to temporarily reduce operating costs by 5%.

March 06, 2013 09:51PM
plawrence
It just amazes me how difficult those who manage our federal government make it appear to institute a measly 5% across-the-board cut in their budgets. As if they budgets are lean and mean with no fat that can be trimmed off.
They can cut some fat by not building that pedestrian underpass that people will just walk around. I also assume the Yosemite Conservancy will kick in a few bucks for some ranger programs or something.

In the private sector, having to trim one's budget by 5% is nothing. Often, it only takes some simple measures as restricting business travel and overtime hours to temporarily reduce operating costs by 5%.
The 2011 budget was $29 million. 5% out of that is nothing. Having the park vehicles get gas cheaper at our own pumps instead of buying it on the market at the El Portal gas station might save that much.
March 08, 2013 10:19AM
parklover
If there is no money for seasonals then there is probably no money for overtime.
But if there are no seasonals, then some unfilled shifts will have to be covered by permanents. (I would think)
March 08, 2013 12:38PM
We all could go up and volunteer to help out.
March 06, 2013 11:27PM
if this budget sequester is of such a significance and large impact, then how is it possible for the merced river act and the mariposa grove restoration projects to be carried out?
March 07, 2013 03:42AM
marmot
if this budget sequester is of such a significance and large impact, then how is it possible for the merced river act and the mariposa grove restoration projects to be carried out?

Delay the start date, proceed more slowly, and defer some other projects to allow these two to continue?
March 07, 2013 11:03AM
I'm sure Congressional salaries are exempt from sequestration cuts!no, stop, enough!
March 07, 2013 11:25AM
tomdisco
I'm sure Congressional salaries are exempt from sequestration cuts!no, stop, enough!

Congress couldn't change them if they wanted to. Congressional salaries cannot be changed during a term due to the Constitution:

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login