Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Glacier Point Road

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Glacier Point Road
March 12, 2013 07:41AM
Hi,

I am going to visit Yosemite on 13th of May this year. As I am from Germany, this will most likely be a "once in a lifetime" trip for me. I really hope to be able to visit Glacier Point. Hopefully, the snow will be gone by then...
So I would like to ask you, if you know how snowfall was this season in Yosemite. Can you form an estimate if the road to Glacier Point will be free or is it still too early?

Thanks!!

Christoph
March 12, 2013 07:50AM
It'll be highly unliked that it is NOT open then.

They start plowing the road on April 15th. At the way things look... they will finish on April 16th.

You can look at the nps site for updates. And the opening/closing dates in the past.
They seem to be trying to open the road much earlier than in the past though... so it would take
some huge storms to come thru for it not to be open by mid May.
(this is my opinion so take it as you wish)

Plowing update:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Opening date history:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 12, 2013 02:22PM
Don't forget though, with government budget cuts, plowing operations (and other facility openings) may be delayed due to staff cuts.
March 12, 2013 02:47PM
Ah. Yes. I forgot about that. Park Service should make DNC clear the road. smiling smiley

March 12, 2013 08:24PM
It should be open by may 13th
April 10, 2013 03:19PM
Anyone here have any more recent information on when GPR might open? We are headed up to Yosemite with family in 10 days' time, and trying to figure out an itinerary.
April 10, 2013 04:18PM
They haven't started plowing either Tioga or Glacier roads.
They're still x-country sking on GPR.

It won't be open in 10 days sad smiley

It's still winter in the high country and will be for quite some time.
April 10, 2013 05:39PM
Badger Pass is closed for the season now. "Badger Pass Road" is closed.

April 11, 2013 09:01AM
The reason I asked was that it was open on 4/20 last year, so we might hope for similar this year given the low snow levels (though I know the distribution of snow is rather different this year). On one hand we know they are more-or-less planning on waiting for Tioga Pass to melt out, which suggests they might do likewise for GPR. On the other, GPR opening might not require very much effort at all, and the plows won't be up on Tioga Pass.

Net, I suspect that the sequester budget cuts will mean they won't bother to open GPR until Memorial Day weekend. sad smiley
April 11, 2013 09:11AM
It is not just the snow that has to be removed but any large rocks/boulders and trees that might have fallen onto the road.
April 11, 2013 06:34PM
Between Badger Pass and Sentinel Dome (as of 3/17) there were no trees across the road, and only one (3' or so high!) boulder along the edge just above Clark View - some pavement damage where the boulder hit but not much. The pavement heading up from Mono Trailhead is in really bad shape, but I suspect winter didn't cause that.
April 11, 2013 09:17PM
Yeah... they sort of groom the road quite frequently.... so the argument of clearing rock and trees
imo is just an excuse. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the road was open on the 19th.
Or the 26th. But I know nothing. Complete and utter speculation.

April 12, 2013 03:01PM
chick-on
Yeah... they sort of groom the road quite frequently.... so the argument of clearing rock and trees
imo is just an excuse. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the road was open on the 19th.
Or the 26th. But I know nothing. Complete and utter speculation.

And the forecast is for more snow on Monday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login